TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Old SDC rides

So I was surfing the internet on Silver Dollar City related stuff today, and I found this list of old, removed rides from Silver Dollar City on Answers.com -

Rube Dugan's Diving Bell - An attraction that simulated a Jules Verne-style fantasy submarine ride, the first simulation ride of its kind. Disney World engineers told Silver Dollar City that it could not be done. It was removed in the late-1980s to make room for the Lost River of the Ozarks, a ride that could run more people per hour through. Slim Pickens was the voice of Rube Dugan. Noel Green was the only person to ever play Rube Dugan in the flesh during the 1999, and 2000 seasons.

Jim Owens Float Trip - Outdoor boat ride around a man-made river with animatronics. Removed after the 1980 season and replaced by the American Plunge log flume.

Does anyone have any information/pictures on these rides? They sound really interesting to me, I never knew Silver Dollar City ever had them.

Heh, well, I had always noticed that old, log-flume looking canal over by Wildfire. I never knew what that was until now.

edit - btw, I've heard tale of an internet brochure that says

"New In 07

All New High

Flying Fun

Keep Checking

silverdollarcity.com

for details"

Anyone seen this?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being in the diving bell but not much else about it...somehow a bat got locked in it with us and my girlfriend freaked...kinda distracted me. I vaguely remember it going "under water", and seeing sunken boats, treasure, and the like, but It may have just been video. I do remember the thing actually leaked and "Rube" seeming a little disturbed.

I had completely forgotten about the river, but I believe some of the elements are still on the log flume and maybe parts of the flooded mine also. I've wondered why I had this blurred memory of the 2 rides being together. I think it also had a tour guide on the boat.

Where did you find your info, I'd like to check it out.