Hi everyone !
I'm back to present you my last model, a launched roller coaster model, which is still in progress (like 25%).
This model will have a station which will launch, brake, and replace a car of a roller coaster train.
Once accelerated, the car will come back to the station thanks to a curved rails section located just after the station.
When the train will pass on the brake section, it will lose its speed and will be replaced at the beginning of the launch section thanks to rising wheels.
All these actions will be synchronized with light effect (8 LED strips and 1custom LED matrix).
The model will be control by a control panel, an LCD screen and an Android App by Bluetooth.
The full model will have a lengh of approx. 1m long.
I'm creating the entire model on Solidworks and I print all my pieces on my CR-10 3D printer.
You can directly see some pictures (the 3D model on Solidworks and real pictures) after the details section.
- The launch system is composed of a 12V DC Motor, a GT2 belt with 2 pulleys and a linear rail guide as a pusher-car.
- The replacement system is composed of a stepper motor (NEMA17), 5 GT2 belts, many custom printed toothed gears and 5 servomotors
- The brake system is just composed of a little servomotor
- The model is powered by a 12V DC supply (for the motors) and a 12V to 5V DC converter (for the rest of the model)
- All the model is controlled by an Arduino MEGA 2560.
- I have created my own PCBs => I have used my 3D printer to write my PCBs created on EasyEDA on copper plates and I have dived these PCB in ferric chloride.
- 8 LED strips will be used for the light effect : 2 along the launch track, 4 mounted from the ceiling for station effects, and 2 along the curved section of the track.
- 1 LED matrix will be at the end of the launch station in order to display effects and especially a countdown before the launch (in the style of the french Rock'n'Roller Coaster). This matrix has 10 rows and 10 lines and is composed of RGB LEDs.
- an LCD screen will show some informations about the current state of the model (general state, mode, temperature of main motors, state of Bluetooth connection)
- emergency stop
- circuit braker
- temperature sensor on warmer motors (the model will shut down if temperatures are too high)
Way of functioning
The user will have the choice between 2 modes : auto and manual.
-> Manual mode will allow him to choose one particular action (for example to move the pusher car alone, just play one effect on a LED strip etc).
-> Automatic mode will play one selected sequence which has already been implemented. All effects will be played synchronously.
All these actions will be possible by using the Android app wich will communicate with the model by Bluetooth.
A big part of the Solidwork model is finished, and most pieces are printed.
Almost all the electrical part of the model is finished too. I have tried some launches and replacements and it works fine.
Now the main steps will be :
- programming part (25% is done)
- post-processing of all 3D printed pieces
- to make the second part of the model (the curved section of the track)
- to make the car
I'll post other updates (pictures and videos) to show you how the project is progressing ! Don't hesitate to comment for any reason !
As a reminder, my 2 last models are here :
https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76701 (Gatekeeper train model)
https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74855 (Blue Fire train model)
The train is just schematized for now.
The second part of the model is not done yet.
All final details are not presented.
Top view without ceiling
Stepper motor (in white) and servomotor (in blue) for the train's replacement
Ceiling (LED strips are not represented)
Not very clean for now !
Last printed pieces
The back of the model (Power supplies / DC motor shield / Arduino Mega / PCBs...)
Without wheels and decorations for now !
Brake section : nothing has been done yet !
Control Panel (indications missing)
The LED strips
The custom LED matrix