Photo TR: Chuck Looks Back at TPR's Europe Trip 2008

UPDATE: Final Thoughts (see first page for link)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Chapter 9: From “Mini-Universal” to “Mega-Mickie’s Grove”—Movie Park Germany and Schlossbeck

June 29, 2008 was another “two-fer day” on TPR’s Europe Tour, with ERT at Movie Park Germany and a few hours at nearby Schlossbeck.

Even though it could use one or two “major” attractions, Movie Park was a lot of fun—a very nice mini version of the Universal parks. Yes, the coaster collection was mediocre, at best, but the park gave off a good vibe. The staff really treated us well, with ERT on not just a few coasters, but some flats, as well—not to mention the best lunch of the whole trip.

The park was quite attractive and featured the standard themed areas you’d expect in a “ride the movies” type of park, such as sections devoted to the Wild West, New York, Nickelodeon, and, of course, Hollywood. Here’s how the coasters measure up:

Ghost Chasers—Yeah, what can you say about a park’s coaster lineup when the best one is a wild mouse in half a box? Well, it is a decent mouse, even with the strange Sponge Bob “ghost ship” themeing.

Jimmy Neutron’s Atomic Flyer—This is a Vekoma kiddie suspended coaster similar to the Runaway Reptar models in the States, but with one big difference—lapbars instead of OSRs. So, by taking away the head banging, the ride becomes “fun.” Go figure.

The Backyardigans Mission to Mars—A rocket-themed Rollerskater. Vekoma actually makes a pretty fair kiddie coaster. Then again, they also make . . .

MP-Xpress— . . . the wretched Satan’s Looping Coaster. Yes, this ride gave me a left to jaw and few good shots to the head. Still, I’d rather ride it than . . .

Bandit— . . . this sorry stack of wood. Yes, Bandit was the worst wooden coaster I’d ever ridden (at least for a few days). Bumpy, shuffly, and painful—just no fun at all. But Lou and Steve’s on-ride video, complete with very appropriate profanity, is one of the funniest highlights of the whole trip.

The best attraction at Movie Park was the Alien Encounter splash-boat ride, with two nice drops (one of which is in a cave), rooms of big-brained aliens performing experiments on Earthlings, and even an earthquake sequence. Mystery River was a bizarre “rapids” ride with no wetness, but plenty of unicorns, elves, and giant mushrooms. The Ice Age Adventure was a good boat ride based on the movie. High Fall was one of those “floorless” Intamin drop towers with the bicycle seats. It was a truly frightening ride, and they should sell souvenir athletic cups emblazoned with the ride’s logo. We also checked out the German version of Shrek 4D and the park’s Time Riders simulator, which was OK (and seemed to have pre-shows within pre-shows).

All in all, I think most of the group had a very good time at Movie Park. What the place needs, though, is a nice B&M or Intamin hyper- or mega-coaster (or an Intamin woodie to replace Bandit).

We spent a few hours at Schlossbeck, a family park that reminded me a bit of old Mickie’s Grove outside Lodi, California—only much better. The park did have one nicely landscaped kiddie coaster, but the real attractions here were the self-operated rides (especially the jumping boats), the rather dangerous-looking playground equipment, and a strange “museum” of what seemed to be old department-store Christmas displays. Give in to the silliness of the place, and there’s plenty of fun to be had.
MP 01.jpg
Lights, camera, Movie Park!
MP 01a.jpg
The first pleasant suprise of the day--A Vekoma suspended that doesn't hurt and is actually "fun."
MP 02.jpg
Yes, everyone, particularly Lou, appreciated the funky little lapbars.
MP 03.jpg
There was nary an "ouch," "ow," or "$%!!@$!" to be heard.
MP 04.jpg
How's it hanging, Brian and Mike? Any major "squishage"?
MP 05.jpg
I didn't get around to riding this one, but I imagine it isn't as brutal as that "George Foreman Grill" ride at Bobbejaanland.
MP 06.jpg
OK, I didn't know that Spongebob and Patrick were into "ghost chasing," but I'll go along.
MP 07.jpg
It's like Mulholland Madness--only under the sea.
MP 08.jpg
Way behind the scenes at the "Big Mike Road Show."
MP 09.jpg
Time for "Mission: Sinise"--Movie World style.
MP 10.jpg
Dave: "Hey, I'm on a kiddie coaster, and I'm wearing shades. I'm just too cool for my own good."
MP 11.jpg
I wonder if this is the part where you go into "hypersleep" mode?
MP 12.jpg
Here's the perilous descent to Mars. "Pull back! Pull back!"
MP 13.jpg
Lou seems to like it, but is Piers about to hurl?
MP 14.jpg
Time for our Main Event! Bitner! Hoffman! An Extreme Hardcore Match! Their ring--Movie World's Santa Monica Pier! Their weapons . . .
MP 15.jpg
. . . Anything they can get their hands on! Oh my God! Hoffman has slammed Bitner into a claw machine! That's gonna leave a mark!
MP 16.jpg
Not even the spectators are safe when these two gladiators go at it!
MP 17.jpg
I'm not big on spinning rides, but I rather liked this one. I'd definitely rather ride this than . . .
MP 18.jpg
. . . the SLC with the strange "military" theme.
MP 20.jpg
Someone blew up this box. So the army responded with . . .
MP 19.jpg
. . . great prejudice!
MP 22.jpg
Unfortunately, SLCs cause a lot of collateral damage to riders. More to come from Movie Park.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Movie Park Germany, take 2.
MP 23.jpg
Hmm--apparently there was some sort of sporting event going on. Can't imagine what it was . . .
MP 24.jpg
High Fall has a pretty well-themed queue for a drop ride. You walk through an Old West sheriff's office. I'm not sure what the guys are smiling about, though.
MP 25.jpg
If this ride was a Russian ballet, it'd be the "Nutcracker" (nothing "sweet" about it).
MP 25a.jpg
Well, ERT's over. Where to now, Larry?
MP 26.jpg
Let's check out some of park's themeing, shall we? Here I am at Hollywood and Vine--in Germany.
MP 27.jpg
I wonder if the Ramones played here.
MP 28.jpg
The Wild West. I wonder if famous spaghetti-western stars Terence Young and Bud Spencer walked these streets in search of massive plates of beans.
MP 29.jpg
Ice Age Adventure gave us many insights into the sexual habits of prehisotric animals. Here we see a strange mating habit of the dodo. This massive pile up in an attempt to proceate no doubt crushed many birds and hastened their extinction.
MP 30.jpg
The strange yearnings of this small mammal have caused it to overreach sexually.
MP 31.jpg
Here we see an Ice Age threeway.
MP 32.jpg
It appears that all the actors are spent. But was the experience satisfying? Palentologists have yet to answer this question.
MP 33.jpg
Here we see the results of prehistoric frigidity.
MP 34.jpg
Being as all the instructions at Shrek 4D were in German, some of our group had difficulties understanding the attraction's more technical aspects.
MP 35.jpg
Team Larry was stuck in the Time Riders preshows, so we missed our chance to be among the first to ride Bandit that day. Unfortunately, we got the credit, anyway.
MP 36.jpg
I'm guessing that this was once themed to the Wild, Wild West flick from the looks of this station. But I don't know for sure.
MP 37.jpg
Here's the entrance to the rather odd Mystery River rapids ride.
MP 38.jpg
You have to walk through a library.
MP 39.jpg
Yeah, we were all pretty puzzled by it. That's a wrap, Movie Park. Schlossbeck is next.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:29 pm

And now, some of the wacky Schlossbeck experience.
SB 01.jpg
You are here. Or, rather, we were there. Unless you were one of us, in which case, you were there, too.
SB 02.jpg
First stop--jumping boats. These were self-operated. You get in the boat, the next person in line closes a safety gate and pushes a button, then you pull a cord and up the ramp you go (only to drop down directly).
SB 03.jpg
"Dear God, please protect me from my own foolishness, and I promise to never sin again!"
SB 04.jpg
"Thank you, Lord!"
SB 05.jpg
Time to watch the Bitners go down. First up, Rich.
SB 06.jpg
Hmm--pretty sloppy splash there.
SB 07.jpg
Next up, Melanie.
SB 08.jpg
Yes, much smoother and more elegant.
SB 09.jpg
They gave us four laps on the kiddie coaster.
SB 10.jpg
Hanno was there to document each one.
SB 11.jpg
Note to self: Never ride the twisty "wet-dry" slide.
SB 12.jpg
Hey there, boys and girls! It's time for your favorite show! The adventures of Commando Larry . . .
SB 13.jpg
. . . and his youthful sidekick, Bucky!
SB 14.jpg
Looks like the action didn't end at Movie Park, wrestling fans! Bitner and Hoffman are going at it Schlossbeck style, too!
SB 15.jpg
This can be settled at only one place and in only one way: Paris Disney--in a steel cage!
SB 22.jpg
Hmm--why does Piers look so "naughty" on his horse? More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 pm

One last look at Schlossbeck, where there are many ways to die--or go mad!
SB 16.jpg
Yes, at Schlossbeck there are many playground implements of death and destruction.
SB 17.jpg
Many chances to injure yourself . . .
SB 18.jpg
. . . severely.
SB 19.jpg
Hmm--it appears that there are some things that are too dangerous even for Schlossbeck.
SB 20.jpg
Such as these. I wonder why. Maybe it's the presence of . . .
SB 21.jpg
. . . demonic trees (which, no doubt, house carnivorous bees)!
SB 23.jpg
In addition to danger to life and limb, Shclossbeck also has ways to damage your psyche--for example, the singing tree show!
SB 24.jpg
But the true psychic horrors are contained within this innocent-looking country manor.
SB 25.jpg
"Sorry, folks! Unless you wanna spend 50 cents a scene, I'm as scary as the basement gets. But they freak you out upstairs for nothin'!"
SB 26.jpg
Behold the Department Store Displays of the Damned!
SB 27.jpg
When in doubt, throw in a few monkeys. Kids love monkeys!
SB 28.jpg
But what about freaky hand puppets?
SB 29.jpg
OK, I think I've figured out the story behind this one. Once upon a time . . .
SB 30.jpg
. . . alien leprechauns from the planet Shilleagh decided to visit a particularly uptight planet. Unfortunately, their spaceship crushed a rare papier-mache crocagator!
SB 31.jpg
This so angered the local chapter of PETA that they sent their Sacred Blue Robots of Painful Vengeance to slay the leprechauns! Who could possibly save them now?
SB 32.jpg
Only the power of the leprechaun's Pink Princess and her good friend Satan! Together, they vanquished the robots, saved the leprechauns, then went out for wings at Hooters. The end.
SB 33.jpg
"You know, I'm not getting paid nearly enough for fulfilling this pervert's fantasy." That's all for now.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Great coverage of "the day Liz missed", Chuck. Schlossbeck was such a trip. Excellent time that day.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

I'm slow

Postby pagemaster_b » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:47 am

Someone blew up this box.

That would be me.
There's no problem too big that C-4 can't fix.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:55 am

Just catching up on this thread. Enjoyed the updates and the rapids shots. Much thanks for all. =)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hhappy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:45 am

The last time i visited the park it was named Wild Wild West as you thought.

I guess it was ok back then.. but after seeing the dvd... i was very glad i did not ride it this time and took pictures instead..

Thanks for the updates :)
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ELZ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:21 pm

nice TR Chuck really enjoying it, my head seems to appear in lots of your photos lol

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am

Another great one Chuck! Lots of rather neat captions there too :D

And folks, stay tuned for the raw action of the final battle between Bitner and Hoffman. When the Disney report rolls around, you'll see the climatic climax of this awesome grudge, in a STEEL CAGE!!!

Keep it up Chuck!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive