Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 928 - Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Media Preview!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Give me Disney, or give me death!

Location: Waiting to take a bulldozer into Extreme Makeover: DCA

Postby America Sings Freak » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:23 pm

Yea, I feel that the trolleys are a great addition to the park and will work well with this rethemeing in this area especially.

Coaster Count: 49

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Axman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:21 pm

I really like California Adventure, but I have no desire to return until this remodel is complete.

The first time I went, I was there the summer it opened, and I LOVED IT!!! I rode Malaboomer, Jumpin' Jellyfish, and California Screamin' so many times. Orange Stinger was fun, but its a bit random for the area. Zephyr was really good, but kind of a slow loader. Muppets and Bug's World were both really great, and Grizzly River Rampage was MUCH better than Kali, but didn't live up to Splash Mountain. California Screamin' quickly became one of the best coasters I'd ever been on, and the airtime on Malaboomer when you're 9 is almost too much. Jellyfish was totally fun, but a bit on the short side, but Soarin' was phenomenal! I somehow managed to get lost in the wilderness obstacle course. Mulholland Madness was in the middle of it's instant closure after the park opened, so I missed out. All in all, I had a really great time!

The second time I went, not much had changed, but it was only 2 or 3 years later. It was just me and my dad, and we rode everything once. Mulholland was a first for both of us, and we both hated it. It's just as rough and painful as any other wild mouse of its kind. We basically went back and fourth between Malaboomer and California Screamin' for the rest of the day, and left feeling like we never needed to go back.

The last time I went was in 2005. The addition of Tower of Terror was a big plus, and was an awesome ride, but was a slow loader. Everything else was still the same, but I still had a really great time, and managed to enjoy spending a whole lot of time at the park, despite the lack of rides. I was really able to sit back and relax, and calmly go about my day with some friends, without worrying about running out of time. Unfortunately, I forget to visit A Bug's Land, but I'm sure its very charming.

All of the new additions sound great! The new main street excites me the most, and I'm very eager to see how it turns out. The Little Mermaid replacing the theatre is a welcome change. I never once set foot an that theatre, and never cared to. The ride sounds very cute, and will help fill the void of Fantasyland style rides in the park. Carsland is ingenious. I totally loved that movie, and I really can't wait to see it when it's finished. The racing ride is the long-awaited compensation for the disaster of Rocket Rods, and will hopefully be worth the wait. Having ridden Rocket Rods, I can say that I really loved the ride, but I hated the down time and the outrageous long lines. The other two rides in Carsland look great too. Toy Story looks like a lot of fun, and I love the theme of the ride being so tied in with both the movie, and the theme of the area. The new carnival game concepts, and well as Mulholland's new concept, all look really great. The removal of Condor Flats makes too much sense. As long as the re-rout the entrance of GRR, nothing of that area will be missed. Soarin' and the obstacle course were both at either end of that area, and there was nothing else in between besides GRR. Removing that area is a really good Idea, and will eliminate all of the space between rides.

There's no part of this re-model that I don't love.
Alexander "I've decided that I don't really hate Magic Mountian, but I don't like it nearly as much as Cedar Point" Dickey

Current Coaster Count: 142

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby suave1226 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:59 pm

Great news for such a plagued park. It strikes me funny that everyone is talking about Orange Stinger and Zephyr yet nobody is talking about why they aren't moving Triton's carousel over to where the Little Mermaid ride will be Though it wont free up much space who knows what disney could do.

Magical Hoodie Wizard

Postby J man » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:03 am

I personally enjoy DCA. And I'm excited about the new expansions. The new entrance plaza looks amazing. The only problems I have with it is that the gate looks exactly like the one at Disney MG... Hollywood Studios. And I'm kinda disappointed that they are scrapping the California letters.

But I think everything looks awesome so far!
Click on the banner to see my movies!!!

Please visit www.SaveTheAnimatronicHippos.org

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby WildStangAlex » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:19 am

I think the new front entrance looks just like Disney's MGM studios park!

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby borisdag » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:26 am

Went to DL for the 50th and tried valiantly to keep an open mind about DCA. I really did.

It didn't work.

The park is lacking heart, it's ugly and has no focus. Half of the stores and resaurants were closed (that wharf area was deserted) and the rides...geesh. Can someone say Ghetto Fair?

Screamin was fun, but TOT was a complete dud, IMHO. Soarin was nice, but Mulholland Whatever was just lame. Grizzly River Rampage Roarin Rapids whatever was more than decent. We toured the place for about two hours and once we did everything I longed to head back to DL. While all the other Disney parks I've visited have really found a place in my heart, I can't imagine ever forming an emotional attachment to DCA.
I just didn't "get it." Still don't.

While I think the improvements will do much to help, I still just don't understand the lack of focus. Someone explain to me what The Little Mermaid ride's location means...makes no sense. And what does a Cars ride have to do with the California Walt first discovered? Was there a Cars Land back then? Another big ol theatre as the centerpiece of the park? Didn't they try that in Orlando, only to cover it up with a giant hat?

Fingers crossed they fix DCA. It needs it.

Postby digidude18 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:58 am

Wes41190 wrote:^ Remember though, that Main Street has the Taxis, the Horse Drawn Carriage, the Paddy Wagon, and the Omnibus that essentially take you from one end of the street to the other. Kind of pointless, yes, but they add a little life onto the street. Also, it's been stated that the DCA Trollies will take people all the way to Tower, so it's not just a short jaunt.

Well, at least the Trolley's will serve more of a purpose. I do agree that they add a little atmosphere to the area, even if the ones on Main Street don't serve much of a purpose.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:07 am

Someone explain to me what The Little Mermaid ride's location means...makes no sense.

They are removing Golden Dreams and putting the ride in that building.
Apollos Chariot #1!

Postby digidude18 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 am

borisdag wrote:Went to DL for the 50th and tried valiantly to keep an open mind about DCA. I really did.

It didn't work.

The park is lacking heart, it's ugly and has no focus. Half of the stores and resaurants were closed (that wharf area was deserted) and the rides...geesh. Can someone say Ghetto Fair?

Screamin was fun, but TOT was a complete dud, IMHO. Soarin was nice, but Mulholland Whatever was just lame. Grizzly River Rampage Roarin Rapids whatever was more than decent. We toured the place for about two hours and once we did everything I longed to head back to DL. While all the other Disney parks I've visited have really found a place in my heart, I can't imagine ever forming an emotional attachment to DCA.
I just didn't "get it." Still don't.

While I think the improvements will do much to help, I still just don't understand the lack of focus. Someone explain to me what The Little Mermaid ride's location means...makes no sense. And what does a Cars ride have to do with the California Walt first discovered? Was there a Cars Land back then? Another big ol theatre as the centerpiece of the park? Didn't they try that in Orlando, only to cover it up with a giant hat?

Fingers crossed they fix DCA. It needs it.

I'm not sure you can compare DCA to a ghetto fair. I at least feel safe at DCA :) .
Now, I haven't been to the WDW ToT but I don't see how the DCA ToT is a dud. I know the WDW has more drops but to say DCA ToT is a dud...just seems cruel lol.

Give me Disney, or give me death!

Location: Waiting to take a bulldozer into Extreme Makeover: DCA

Postby America Sings Freak » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:15 am

Top Thrill Dragster wrote:
Someone explain to me what The Little Mermaid ride's location means...makes no sense.

They are removing Golden Dreams and putting the ride in that building.

This ride is going to take up more room than just Golden Dreams I think they are going to build a showbuilding back there too. If you look back there from MM you can see that they have a lot of room to expand back. :mickey:

Coaster Count: 49

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!