TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's "Coaster Footage" POV YouTube Channel

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What was even the shelf life of a brand new CCI with Gerstlauer trains? You hear about so many of them getting brutally rough within 5 years of operation. That's just ludicrous! It's not like CCIs with PTC trains have fared that much better, but still. Those G-trains are disasters on wheels.

The only CCI with G-trains that I've ridden that didn't beat me to hell and back was Boss, and I'm pretty sure I rode that on its best operating day of the season in '09. Even then, it wasn't a very comfortable ride, just bearable.

^ We rode MegaZeph the 2nd season of operation and it was already getting pretty brutal. You could tell there was a really good ride in there somewhere, but it ran more like Villain in it's 5th year when it should have been running more like Ghostrider in it's 2nd year. (If that makes sense)

Boulder Dash opened the same year and it still runs quite well today (especially after GCI came in and took care of it), but Megazeph was already falling apart after year two.

Let's just be VERY thankful that Kennywood bought those PTCs for Boulder Dash seperate from the deal they made with CCI. It was the ONLY coaster of those 7 CCI's that opened in 2000 that had PTCs. That year was easily CCI's worst. Think about it, the three CCI's that have either been demolished or are SBNO were from that year. All with Gerstlauer trains.

The only others that survived was Legend, which switched over to PTCs, Medusa which I hear is terrible, and The Boss, which has bad days and mediocre days, but not much else. I would love to see how The Boss would do with PTCs.

The rest of the CCI's that opened after 2000 - Cornball thankfully had PTCs, Cheetah needed a major overhaul which it finally got, and New Mexico Rattler also has PTCs. My last rides on Cornball and Rattler show that they were still holding up ok.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey