TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Pretty sure California law says that when an amusement device is modified to be fitted with OTSR's it cannot operate again without them regardless of its operation history.

Nope. Just needs a restraint that A: Works and B: Approved by the manufacturer. This is why Disney gets away with those minimal restraints on their rides. Make your own rides, you get total say so over them.

I'm not bothered by the OTSRs. I didn't think S:TE was "that" great (though certainly mildly enjoyable), so I doubt the change will feel like a great loss. If they're necessary for the backwards launch anyway, it's a small price to pay if they're required for a forward launch as well.

"Are you not going to WCB this year?" (Sir Clinksalot)

Not the SFMM part. I have a family wedding out in the San Gabriel Valley that day, and I don't think I could do both. But I might make it to the Knott's part.

Eric

^^^ not 100% and I can't vouch for the accuracy of the original statement but I heard somewhere on this forum or at a WCB that Burkhardt said the reason the OTSR's still exist on Revolution is because once they were installed (early 90s) that set the minimum acceptable restraint apparatus or some crap like that, and that we can dash all hopes of a Revy running without them. Maybe someone else here can clarify?

For what seems like the 10,000th time: THERE IS NO LAW IN CALIFORNIA MANDATING OTSR'S.

Tim Burkhart was full of crap at WCB.

But he ( Burkhart ) never said anything of the sort. He said it was Six Flags decision to add the OTSR to Revolution, and that the ride can no longer operate any other way, period. It has nothing to do with any law, and he never even hinted that was the case.

Not a bad logo, it could be worse. But I think the ride should just be called Superman to be honest.

As for the restraints on Revolution, there is no law and they could certainly be updated to have only lap bars. But the park hasn't ever, and probably never will, be willing to pay to retrofit them just for the issue of rider comfort or to please the enthusiasts.

I know, the ride would be much better and you wouldn't risk whacking your ears. But they've got bigger fish to fry.

But the park hasn't ever, and probably never will, be willing to pay to retrofit them just for the issue of rider comfort or to please the enthusiasts.

I know, the ride would be much better and you wouldn't risk whacking your ears. But they've got bigger fish to fry.

I believe it is a convincing argument that the time and money that it takes Magic Mountain to switch Revolution's trains back to original form of single lapbar and seatbelt would be out weighed by the increase in ridership and re-ridership among guests. Montezooma's Revenge would probably suck if it had Revolution's current setup. Thank you Knott's for keeping it original.

Officially confirmed Superman Date:

From Facebook:

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Just announced ... SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton opens March 19th! 100 mph backwards - ARE YOU IN?

Looks like I'll be riding this and the Australia one the same week! Hmm, I wonder which one will be better! This is really tough...I think most people know my feelings on SFMM and Australia!?!?

Maybe i'm with the minority, or maybe i AM the minority, but i've never had a bad ride revolution! I think the ride might be more fun with out the OTSRs and just lap bars. Besides no head banging, did the lap bars make it a better ride?

BTW, kudos to the new TPR sign on top!