TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Elissa go to Park City, Utah!

Today we came down the mountain from Park City to Salt Lake City (Draper, actually) so we could check out our friend Shane's water park! This will also give you a little insight on how a park has to 'winterize' their facility for the off season. Enjoy...

Today we got a rare look at Salt Lake City's Cowabunga Bay water park during the off season! (although with the blue skies it's hard to tell it's winter!)

Cowabunga Bay's creator and owner, Shane Huish aka "Montezooma" of Shane's Amusement Attic says "remember...the park is in winter mode...so it looks a little different!"

The concept behind Cowabunga Bay is simple...a small "family entertainment" style water park, but based off a huge play and slide structure. Create a 3-4 hour family experience at an affordable price. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Do not be fooled in thinking this is your average bucket play structure. Some of the slides are huge!

The structure has little slides for the young ones...

And big versions for the thrill seekers!

And this is why the park isn't open during the winter!

There are quite a few big slides coming off that structure!

"Mommy! The sign says don't carry me!!!"

The structure looks fantastic with some great theming!

Shane tells us this slide gives you some pretty good airtime!

Here is the front section of the park, in winter mode, most of the signs and theming has been taken down until next season.

The lazy river is extra lazy during the winter!

No lifeguards on duty today.

This area is responsible for heating the water to make it nice and comfortable.

Shane took us behind the scenes to show us how the water park works!

These giant pumps are responsible for getting the water to the top of the slides.

Water filtration systems may not be very pretty but they are one of the most important elements of a water park.

If some one goes poo-poo in the pool, this little baby makes sure the water is safe again in about 20-30 minutes!

Nothing but "high tech" for Cowabunga Bay!

The maintenance areas is on two levels. This helps save space! When you're a small park, you need as much room for attractions as possible.

And don't forget about electrical! Someone's gotta power all those pumps!

Can you think of a water park with a more beautiful back drop???

Here's a sign for Dave!

Trust me, this place looks a lot different in the summer!

"In here you can stuff lots of fluffy, fluffy bunnies!"

I choose this fluffy, fluffy bunny!

They have a lot of seating in the bathrooms!

Some of the parks theming that is in storage for the winter.

Did we mention the most important feature of the "bucket?"

That's right! The world's biggest SPLASH on the world's largest water play structure!

All the park's signage is in storage. I love this one informing guests of how all the water treatment and safety systems work. Smart idea!

KidTums is tall enough to ride everything but the three BIG slides as they will let her slide with an adult! Six Flags doesn't let you do this!

Let's not forget about food service at the park! They have a full service pizza oven...

Mmm...deep fryers!

And the best thing about their food service! Vault on tap!!!

Let's take one more look at a few more sides.

I told you this is not your average play structure!

Oh yeah, you can see where you'd get airtime on this one!

This is one the BIG slides. (they have nine in total - three big ones!)

When in Salt Lake City be sure to stop by Cowabunga Bay! And remember, Club TPR members get one free visit to the park each year...just show your Club TPR card!

Thank you Shane for the awesome tour!!!

Edited by ernierocker

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend and I LOVE Cowabunga Bay. Lately it's been depressing to pass in the winter on I-15. It's so bright and colorful, I nearly drive off the road starring at it as I pass!

That air time is legit! Cross your legs and lift your butt... you'll FLY!

Shane, you'll be seeing us again for sure!

If these are the same colorful-looking waterslides I have pasted by on the I-15 to Salt Lake City, then I'll say first hand its location is perfect. The colors are what really make this place stand out and I have always been intrigued about it. Now that you posted this, I now have some more information on a place that is something I'd for sure want to get a closer look at.

Now, to actually go to these wonderful places for once than to past them up. I mean, I still need to visit Lagoon too for crying out loud, and I'm always SO close to that park. I think next time I head up there I'll actually plan a day to stay in the area for once to hit up the local attractions. Sucks being the passenger always picking up someone at the airport there and not getting the opportunity to visit when your actually there...

Ready for another Park City update? We spent the next two days skiing at Park City Mountain Resort. The place is absolutely amazing! They had fantastic ski and snowboarding runs, a great program for kids, and to top it off, the longest Alpine Coaster in the USA!

We spent two days at the resort hanging out. The first day it was a total blizzard! Not even joking! 35MPH winds and snow blowing everywhere! Still though, there was 15 inches of fresh powder! Holy crap that was awesome! The next day was beautiful! Weather was great and the snow conditions were outstanding! Anyway, here's some photos...and VIDEO! Including a complete POV of the Alpine Coaster!

Our first day skiing...as you can see, visibility wasn't great in a blizzard!

Even KidTums gets into the skiing action!While she might only be three years old, she skis pretty good...check her out...

Hey look! As you can see visibility is crap! (sorry for the puns!)

Despite the visibility, the wind, and the snow kicking up everywhere... We're still having fun!

KidTums is doing awesome!

KidTums says "One ski glove thumb way up for Park City!"

It pretty much looked like this the whole day!

KidTums making snow angels!

This is all the mountain you can see today! Wait until you compare this with the next day photos below...

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse...it started to snow harder!!!

KidTums practices downhill skiing!

As you can see from the park map, this play is huge!

"I had an awesome day! Now I just need to stay warm."

Another day of skiing at Park City!

Conditions are PERFECT today! Look how much more of the mountain you can see. Still tons of fresh powder, good visibility, and not too crowded.

Time for more skiing!

KidTums agrees! More skiing!!!

Hey look! The sun is even breaking through today!

Park City resort is absolutely beautiful. After a fresh snowfall it looks like something out of a movie!

KidTums is practicing the "pizza" which is kid speak for snow plowing.

Fatty patch jacket Robb approves of this photo!

Some facts about Park City...

I wonder if they'd mind if I cut down a tree for Xmas next year?

The Legacy Lodge is a great place to relax, have a beer, and get ready for another run!

Another awesome feature of Park City is the Alpine Coaster! Do you see it ahead on the right?

The Alpine Coaster is open all year long....even in deep snow!

"Hey Jeff Johnson! You could count this as a credit!"

The lift hill was insane! It seemed to go on forever!

The design of the ride getting to the top was amazing. The lift traveled over this bridge with skiers under you, and part of the slides return run is above you!

This helix was insane!

Ready to ride?

At the top of the hill, you get the most important instructions!

Parts of the ride were just nuts. Easily the best alpine coaster I've done to date!

At over 3,800 feet, this is the longest Alpine Coaster in the country!

Did I happen to mention the snow was everywhere around you?

Lots of little hops that produced some good airtime.

Here we go back over the bridge!

Aww...the bummer part of the ride...the end!

Elissa and KidTums loved it!Here is a FULL POV of the Alpine Coaster...keep in mind the lift hill is VERY LONG! Enjoy!

Time to say goodbye to Park City Mountain Resort...was a great couple of days!

Back to TPR's winter headquarters to relax and crash out...

Didn't take KidTums long before she was out!!!

More fun and brew pubs tomorrow!

Hope you enjoyed this update! Don't forget... POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

Edited by ernierocker

Robb, do you count the Alpine Coaster as a credit?

We don't, no. But I can see why people do. I mean, they have a lift hill, they run on tubular steel track, and some of them are more thrilling than real coasters! I mean, I count wacky worms, but not this. Makes no sense, not even to me!

--Robb