Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby chadster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:49 am

^ agree. the low to the ground gives a better sense of speed, Prowler can speak to that, and since sustained speed is what this ride is all about (ok maybe the twisty's too) widening the turn seems to be the best and most logical option.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 pm

WildStangAlex wrote:I want to say the park's because that's how most construction projects work: the contractor screws up, you pay! Maybe they've worked something out, however.

Let's also take a step back here for a second...

There is one really important point everyone seems to be forgetting. i305 was "supposed" to have several weeks of testing and tweaking before the park and the ride opened to the public. The delays that happened during construction, mostly due to weather, created a situation where they had to either choose one of two options: A. Open the park with the ride having only the minimum amount of testing and tweaking done to ensure safety, and continue to tweak during operation, or B. Delay the opening of the ride until a later date.

The many changes that we saw happen (trims on 2nd hill, trims on 1st hill, more trims on 1st hill, etc, etc....) were all part of the tweaking process that happens on EVERY ride. The changes on i305 were more visible to everyone because the ride is HUGE! And not to mention arguably the most important ride to open in the US in about a decade.

Had there been weeks of testing and tuning available prior to opening, I'm sure we would have seen quite a few changes made, and the ride that would have opened to the public may in fact ended up being closer to what we will see open at the park Spring of 2011.

So who's fault is it? You can say it's the park for rushing the ride to be open, you can say it's Intamin for the ride needing changes, but to be fair, I don't think anyone is really at "fault" here.

When you are building a ride as big as i305, that in many ways was a prototype, you should expect changes, even as big as pieces of track being replaced. This is not something new, and happens more often than you think. It's just part of the ongoing process when you build something as massive as Intimidator 305.

To answer the question, I'm sure the park and Intamin have worked something out, and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't part of the original contract for the ride.

--Robb

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm assuming it's also fair to suggest that a company like Cedar Fair doesn't shy away from a company like Intamin because the majority of their parks operate seasonally, and they have the offseason to build? I mean, thinking in a business sense, that's several of their recent installations (Maverick, that water flume thing at Cedar Point, and i305) that have either had delayed openings, or in i305's case, narrowly avoided it, but was still able to open and continue running during ongoing adjustments.

Although, after typing that, I guess I may have contradicted myself a bit too. Considering their parks do operate on a limited seasonal schedule, I guess you could also suggest that it's a slight risk to continue working with a company that relies on tweaking things as much as they've proven they've had to recently (for one reason or another). All in all, CF's not hurting too bad from any of their choices, but from a business standpoint concerning budgets, it's an intriguing scenario when deciding whether to go with a more "bland" company that will 99% of the time build something that seems guaranteed to open on time, to a company known more for pushing the envelope a bit, and producing more radical ideas and rides over the last half of the decade.

To me, I couldn't care less anymore who builds the ride, when it opens, or if it needs modifying......but the whole process is definitely interesting.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:05 pm

^^Robb--you need to come back to KD opening weekend and take some more video!
I know you enjoyed both versions of I305, but did you like a particular iteration more than the other?
What we get in I305 will be a perfect marriage of the the two--trimless first drop and soft restraints!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:42 pm

BeemerBoy wrote:it's an intriguing scenario when deciding whether to go with a more "bland" company that will 99% of the time build something that seems guaranteed to open on time, to a company known more for pushing the envelope a bit, and producing more radical ideas and rides over the last half of the decade.

This is exactly it. It's not as though the parks go into buying a ride not knowing what challenges are going to come out of it. Same thing when you buy a car. I know that when I buy a Toyota Corolla I'm not going to need to do anything but oil changes to it for the entire life I have the car.

But if I bought something like a Porsche Carrera GTS, I know damn well I'm going to have to put a lot more work into that thing to make sure it's in top form all the time.

And on top of that, it depends on what the park needs. I don't think Kings Dominion would have done so well with Carowind's Intimidator. Not with Apollo's Chariot an hour away and Superman: Ride of Steel not far north.

The park absolutely needed something that would blow people away to make them talk about it. And if it takes a total of 2 years for i305 to really become a reliable "signature ride" for that park, then I think it's time and money well spent.

i305 is the kind of ride that will hold over a park for 10 years. And when you have an investment like that, you want to make sure you get it right...even if it takes a bit of time.

--Robb

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:04 pm

^I was as happy when KD decided to take a chance with I305 as I was when BGW took one with DarKastle. Both rides are unique for this region and are great additions.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 pm

cfc wrote:^I was as happy when KD decided to take a chance with I305 as I was when BGW took one with DarKastle. Both rides are unique for this region and are great additions.

Exactly. I'm willing to bet that if they built your standard fare B&M Hyper, like Intimidator or Diamondback, there wouldn't have been 300 pages worth of discussion...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:11 pm

This sounds like a really positive development for I305, hopefully I'll be able to get down there next year and check it out.

Does anyone have a feel for what impact I305 had on attandance at KD this year?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:27 pm

If nothing else, people can count it as two (JJ) credits!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm

^Possibly 4?
1)Opening weekend version
2)Trims
3) New restraints
4) 2011 version

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!