Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby coaster-crazy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 pm

montezooma wrote:
coaster-crazy wrote:Well then you wouldn't need to win the contest..lol Thanks for the comments. So what do you think of what is happening to the park nowadays? I used to love that park and for several years was the creative director for it. I think it is on it's last leg and the plug is almost ready to be pulled. Such a shame, there was so much potential.

You know, I had a season pass for that park every year from 1999 to 2009. However, the park seems to be so ... un-changing that we decided to not get a pass this year. The park is on its last leg for sure and tension from nearby businesses and the stadium project do not help along with the not-so-great economy. I'm sure the land is VERY valuable since it's smack dab in the middle of the Silicon Valley. The park really needs to do some little changes. Almost everything in the park needs some paint or TLC. They are trying hard to move on through this time and events such as Haunt seem to be helping.

I still see it closing possibly in the next 5 years. It would be a shame. I really love the park, but my love for it seems to dwindle... :(

~Nicholas
Check out the official TPR Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk thread!
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53779

No conversation is safe around me!

Postby Columbia » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 am

montezooma wrote:
coaster-crazy wrote:Great update Shane. I really enjoyed the Marriott's ad since I live very close to that park.

Looking forward to much more! :)

~Nicholas

Well then you wouldn't need to win the contest..lol Thanks for the comments. So what do you think of what is happening to the park nowadays? I used to love that park and for several years was the creative director for it. I think it is on it's last leg and the plug is almost ready to be pulled. Such a shame, there was so much potential.

It's really sad to see the park go from such a high in the 90's to really an Astro World like feeling (Nothing new, maybe closing, maybe not...)

Funny, the park seemed to be hitting it's stride when YOU were working there...coincidence?!? :)

Love seeing the archival stuff from my hometown parks, keep it up Shane!

Oh, and I still want to see the proof you signed your name at the top of Drop Zone...
TPR's unofficial resident wordsmith

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 am

Anyone need an AstroWorld fix? I know I always do. Here is a quick look back at the Houston park through an 8 postcard bonus pack. I still have my fingers crossed that Greezed Lightnin will make it out of storage.
aw1.jpg
aw2.jpg
aw5.jpg
aw3.jpg
aw7.jpg
aw4.jpg
aw6.jpg
aw8.jpg
Last edited by ernierocker on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:38 pm.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Thank you for more attic updates, Shane!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Shane - Do you have a year on the back of those postcards?
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Love Donkeys!

Postby CoasterFreaks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks Shane! I have recently started trying to build up my Astroworld collection for one wall in my garage. I was just doing some Astroworld research the other night after hearing about the new carousel Worlds of Fun is getting. And I wholeheartedly agree about Greezed Lightning! Always a thrill, and MUCH better than its brother I rode out at SFOG. Nothing better than the in-station launch and the "hangtime" you got in the front seat coming backwards through the loop :)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby TheScooterGuy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:19 pm

How old were you when Astroworld first opened on June 1 1968? I wasn't born in the 1960s but my father was almost 12 years old!
You've crossed the boundary, WMG!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Movieguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Frankly, I'm surprised that Astroworld even closed. Parks like Geauga Lake don't surprise me, because they're in the depressed North, which I hail from, while Astroworld was in Texas, one of the very successful southern states that everyone seems to want to be in now. What exactly happened to cause this, if you don't mind my ignorance of SF history?

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby let1gre » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:02 pm

^ Things cited have been the park's performance (which is surprising since it had pretty much a monopoly on the 6th-largest population center in America) and that the land value that it was sitting on was more valuable than the park was.
ローラーコースター.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Scott45 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Man, I only went twice, once in '76 and the last time was '82 while visiting relatives there. I always thought it was cooler than SFOG or Carolwinds, our "local" amusment parks for Charleston SC. The junk in Myrtle Beach never counted. I do remember thinking Greezed Lighting felt different from the Carolwinds version but that the Texas Cyclone didn't quite beat out SFOG's Great American Scream Machine.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!