TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

About Voyage being rough...

Yeah, Voyage is definitely an acquired taste. While I did think it was moderately rough when I rode it last year, I also thought it was damn good. It, along with Legend, gave an experience I had never encountered before on a coaster. I felt as if it was so intense and fast paced, that I had to actually *fight* the coaster, for a lack of a better way of putting it, instead of just going along for the ride...if that makes any sense.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Now, Legend, I feel, is running as good as it ever has.

I still miss the seatbelt-less Gerstlauer trains, though. (I'm not a G-train hater. Loved the Boss.)

I love holiday world.

I think that the "big" parks should study how holiday world operates, and take some notes.

Agreed!

Voyage - well...It is my favorite coaster, probably for reasons that others favor it less. I can't marathon on it - two or three rides and I have to sit out. I guess I thought it was supposed to be that insane? It's been a couple of years and if it is rougher and still as fast, then I fervently hope the Timberliners make it as good as I remember it.

I don't know about anybody else but if I had to choose between two PTC trains or a single Timberliner for this event I would choose PTC every time.

Agreed. After seeing some of the pics from the event, I can only imagine the line that one Timberliner train would have created.

The waits weren't actually that bad. The front car was slammed, but other than the back-back, it was maybe a 1-cycle wait most of the time.

Right. But I was just saying that the combo of a "new train" and them running only one of them probably would have made for much longer lines. I think they did very well running the two PTC trains.

--Robb

Will spoke to several of us in a group during Saturday's ERT.

We were all in between Legend and Raven when we ran into him.

He stated that while one of the two TL trains were ready, they canceled the inspection that was suppose to be on the past Thursday because they made a decision that they weren't going to operate just one TL train.

He asked what sense does it make to get the trains inspected separately AND to have one train operation on the most popular attraction in the park during the two busiest months of the season: June and July?

None.

Now, Legend, I feel, is running as good as it ever has.

I agree completely. Loved my Legend experience this year. As for the Voyage, it made me wish for HWN '09. I can only imagine what it was like to ride it in '08 or '07 or '06 if it's progressively getting worse.

Hey everyone!

I am doing a coastertour through the US right now and going to Holidayworld this friday. Now is there a chance that the timberliners are gonna be ready by then? If it helps we would be able to push our visit back by a few days. I would really love to try out those new trains!

Hey everyone!

I am doing a coastertour through the US right now and going to Holidayworld this friday. Now is there a chance that the timberliners are gonna be ready by then? If it helps we would be able to push our visit back by a few days. I would really love to try out those new trains!

I would say - no chance. Go to the park and ride it. Don't wait for the Timberliners. It's already voted the #1 wood coaster and I really doubt that is going to change due to them adding a different train on it.

--Robb

I'm gonna have to agree with Rob on this one. I'm pretty picky about my top wood coasters since I've been on some of the best in America, and Voyage is definately up there for me. Its just too bad the park is only open after dark during events. Pitch Black+Voyage=Scariest coaster I've been on in my life! Yes, the ride is rough, and you kind of have to know the layout to brace yourself, but Voyage definately deserves its #1 position with or without Timberjiners. Besides, if you skip out on HW, youll be missing out on Raven, Legend, and Wildebeest aswell, not to mention all the other goodies the park has to offer. I love Holiday World, and would probabbly advise anyone to visit the park whenever I could.

Timberjiners

As much as I love Voyage, I still have to say El Toro is better. Maybe the Timberliners will change that since I'm tall and it's uncomfortable for me to sit in PTC's.

How do you deal with the mega-staple on El Toro?

I asked Mike Graham if they had the idea for the Timberliners before Voyage or if they came up with them for Voyage. He said it was the latter.

There's an easy answer to that question.

Drive up to Monticello, Indiana, and take a good look at the chassis on Lost Coaster. Then take a look at the photos of the underside of the Timberliner cars. The Timberliners are an idea that's been in the works for a long time.

SANTA CLAUS, IND-----Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari owner and president, Will Koch, passed away Sunday evening at his home.

“Will was not only our leader, he was our dear friend,” says park spokesperson Paula Werne. “Our park family is in mourning for this sweet man who worked tirelessly to bring fun and happiness to so many families in the 20 years he ran the park.”

Koch died at home of what the family believes to be complications from diabetes. He was 48.

“The Koch family wants to assure the public that Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari will be open today and will continue to be owned and operated by his family,” says Werne. “We know that’s what Will would have wanted.”

Born and raised in the town of Santa Claus, Koch attended Heritage Hills High School in Lincoln City, and was Valedictorian of his graduating class in 1979. He graduated with honors from the University of Notre Dame in 1984 with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. In 1986, he received a Master's degree in Computer Science from the University of Southern California.

Koch was Chief Executive Officer of Koch Development Corporation, the parent company of Holiday World Theme Park and Splashin' Safari Water Park. Under his direction, the theme park followed an aggressive growth program including the addition of Splashin' Safari Water Park in 1993, The Raven and The Legend wooden roller coasters in 1995 and 2000, plus The Voyage wooden coaster in 2006, for which he was a designer. In 2004, Koch received the international Applause Award from the amusement industry; the criteria for the coveted award include foresight, originality and creativity, plus sound business development and profitability. Each year since 2006, annual seasonal attendance at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari has topped one million visitors. This year, the park premiered Wildebeest, the world’s longest water coaster.

Koch served as president of the Lincoln Boyhood Drama Association, which worked with the State of Indiana to reopen the Lincoln Amphitheatre in 2009 with a new drama honoring the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. He was also a past member of the Board of Directors of the International Association of Amusement Parks & Attractions; and he served on the Administrative Council of the Santa Claus United Methodist Church.

Koch is survived by his wife, Lori, and three children: Lauren, Leah, and William. He is also survived by his mother, Pat, and siblings Dan, Kristi, Philip and Natalie.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks for donations to be made to the Lincoln Boyhood Drama Association or the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Edited by robbalvey

This breaks my heart. I had the chance to meet Will and his family on many occasions...they are such great people. My prayers go out to his family, friends, and everyone at Holiday World.

He will never be forgotten.