TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Its easy to tell that the new GM of this park is a Six Flags veteran. (EJ Randolph SFA Ops Director->AA GM)

The weather rock is a staple at almost all Hurricane Harbors. The ride signs, guest code of conduct, and smoking benches/penalty boxes are straight from the SF playbook!

The ride signs, guest code of conduct, and smoking benches/penalty boxes are straight from the SF playbook!

Its funny you say that because the guys who designed the signs, wrote the code of conduct, and made the smoking areas are from a Cedar Fair park.

• 8 months later...

The park has announced they will be adding a theatrical show for the 2010 season and will be holding auditions in a week.

CASTING CALL FOR A NEW PRODUCTION

AT ALABAMA ADVENTURE

Alabama Adventure will hold auditions March 27, 2010 at 10:00am

to complete the cast for the parks new theatrical production.

(Bessemer, Ala.) - Heartbeat Productions, an award-winning entertainment company, is searching for talented singers and dancers for a new production to be staged at Alabama Adventure. Alabama Adventure, a 90-acre Theme Park and Water Park, will now add indoor theatrical entertainment to the already great line-up of rides, slides, splashes and thrills. “It’s a brand new day for the area’s most exciting attraction,” said Alabama Adventure General Manager EJ Randolph.

The park is looking for performers who will thrive on the cheers and applause of the Alabama Adventure audiences beginning Memorial Day Weekend running through August 8th.

The auditions will be held at the administration office of Alabama Adventure, at 5051 Prince Street, Bessemer, AL 35022. Singers should prepare two songs of contrasting styles as an audition. Dancers should prepare two short solos that demonstrate at least three of the following styles: jazz, lyrical, tap, hip-hop, contemporary and ballet. Playback for a CD and a microphone will be provided at the audition site. Singers may be asked to perform both with and without amplification.

“With the new theatrical production, our already great First Financial Bank Concert Series and our jam-packed special events line-up; this is shaping up to be our most entertaining season ever,” said Alabama Adventure Marketing Manger Brian McDuff. Alabama Adventure will open for weekend operation on April 17, 2010 at 10:30am.

For more information call 205-432-2603 or visit www.alabamaadventure.com

http://www.alabamaadventure.com/pages/presscenter.html

• 1 month later...

Well the park has been open for about a month now so I thought it was a good time to bring you guys up to speed on the changes the park made in 2010! I have pictures to document many changes, but not all of them. Here are some of the "big" things this year:

-Both Pirate and Acapulco Drop have reopened after prolonged closures last season. Both had some major work done to them prior to reopening

-Wild River Gorge had an extensive rehab during the off season after last season's boat flip incident. This includes all major elements being rehabbed, new operator control panels, new safety system, etc.

-The park finally has an indoor restaurant

-The blue pavement was redone and is no longer blue

-Space Shot has officially reverted back to the name Stratos Fear Screamer, which is the name it opened under.

-The park is adding a live show into the old arcade

-The park also has a new ticketing/season pass system

-Rampage received lots of new track work. The big pothole is no more.

On to the pictures!

celebration.jpg.d139d9ed9117a598756b49683562bc89.jpg

First things first: Celebration Street. It received new garbage cans, planters placed down the street, and had trees replanted on the sides (these had been removed around 2003)

voltage.jpg.109e5fb5e316a104439b13a33a6004b4.jpg

This is a "new" store called Voltage

voltage2.jpg.b811b3c4174a92c9530f6eb98551d8f2.jpg

Inside the store

rampagemerch.jpg.982ee7eda30fad9421af675cc2616097.jpg

Some of the Rampage shirts available for purchase

slush.jpg.41f9c7723870e7304c92b811e1a22f3a.jpg

A permanent "Slush Factory" is being added

pizza.jpg.e96ce5c3266b4d58dafedc0a3f587914.jpg

This actually changed last year. This was previously a Boardwalk Fries.

chubbies.jpg.30e6aa786a040f454d61a77d3333c471.jpg

This building had been the employee cafe since 2007 and is now "Chubbie's BBQ" which is the first indoor restaurant in the park. (It was an ice cream parlor from 1998-2001, and since then there has not been a true indoor place to eat)

star.jpg.82c24fb79b715e8a468fac6ce2fb23b3.jpg

The former Arcade is being transformed into the "Star Theater" where a "80s 90s and beyond" music show will be held during daily operation

star2.jpg.f882cea83f3bcb490242f6eee074a0da.jpg

Show schedule

arcade.jpg.4fd8a60c732a040072ad452fd35d0536.jpg

Many of the redemption games from the Arcade have moved to this building, which has mainly been used for storage.

vip.jpg.be7f643e483fd6abba195263de7d2319.jpg

This building had been Pizza Junction until it moved to Boardwalk's old spot last year. It is now the "VIP Cafe" (employee diner)

blue.jpg.5defcd3a8aa0ad0d4441f3391f941293.jpg

The blue pavement area has been repainted and had planters added as well.

giantwheel.jpg.1dfe9112f1f1966f9a3c1fece5a9d2d9.jpg

Giant Wheel was repainted in the off season.

cahaba.jpg.71b041593367c0d0daea21ec3dbfc59c.jpg

The inside of the trough on Cahaba Falls was repainted

cahaba2.jpg.ee68bb4edf663943ad187388d1221b57.jpg

The wooden walkway was also replaced

mindspinner.jpg.8603491560960af6ba00f99c7e3c4a37.jpg

The cars on Mind Spinner were also repainted and it is now running faster than the past few seasons.

scrambler.jpg.faf6011fddbf73242915f2378db1c030.jpg

Scrambler also received a new paintjob

scrambler2.jpg.1a2170a73442aea77c34c9d322340159.jpg

Seatbelts were also added, allowing the ride to drop both the height requirement and the "no single riders" rule.

dustys.jpg.a26104d6d0677f02a2ca524cb674031a.jpg

Marvel City Diner has a new name and some new menu items.

birthday.jpg.317067304c4f1dae0b905fde81488366.jpg

This is currently the 3rd location for the Birthday Party House. It was in the Arcade from 2006-2009.

barnstormer.jpg.ff2f1e27440f909997814c7901665234.jpg

The park began a multi year project to remove all of the old PVC fencing/que railing. Here is Barnstormer's new fencing.

marvel.jpg.60c7c4145951681621b49798475bb3f6.jpg

Marvel Mania also had its fencing replaced

motorcross.jpg.23f4521cb93e1d4a6da1ba14342b29ce.jpg

And finally so did Motorcross

sfs.jpg.64351073d61cd15e8ba131212ad76b34.jpg

Space Shot has returned to the Stratos Fear Screamer name

sfs2.jpg.d42a0a202036fcff0bfde1e336736922.jpg

It also had numerous upgrades performed in the off-season.

gorge.jpg.14e452254960dd626ce1bfdf580a4487.jpg

Wild River Gorge had this structure added to its que

gorge2.jpg.f90eade3c8ca7863265336425ffc83f5.jpg

The wave machine once again making waves

gorge3.jpg.b2627efb7d0e2dc936f609afd699415c.jpg

The whirlpool once again whirling

tag.jpg.31a73e5f5e91ed554baf87c004cae7a5.jpg

Park employees also now wear name tags instead of ID photo badges.

zoom.jpg.4a15a50ef4131e42564e351222a05d99.jpg

Zoomerang's entry gates were repainted and the floor was replaced in the station.

posts.jpg.c30f6e5641225990327232ec26cf6f69.jpg

Larry Cochran, the new CEO of Adrenaline Family Entertainment though all of the wooden posts in the park looked kinda dull, so they have been painted a variety of colors.

posts2.jpg.ab65aa4c66475c2714dc9b69fc79b562.jpg

posts3.jpg.210ce25bd4498af56a66e294a89be0f8.jpg

posts4.jpg.43ac57dd183c2aff57f06508dbd95f1b.jpg

That's all I have for now! I hope you can come visit the park soon!

While there isn't anything "big" new at Alabama Adventure this year, I sometimes think that all these "little" things are just as important. There are many parks I'd like to see put more effort into overall park improvements rather than just spending a bazillion dollars on a giant new ride and neglecting the rest of the park.

-Space Shot has officially reverted back to the name Stratos Fear Screamer, which is the name it opened under.

Whoever made that decision should be given a raise!

I sometimes think that all these "little" things are just as important.

Absolutely! I wish more parks would do little improvements every year like these. I can see Alabama Adventure doing much more like these over the next couple years, in between a new ride or two:-)

I think these are all VERY positive improvements to the park. I LOVE it! It looks like AA is definitely heading in the right direction. I also love the simplistic yet stylish look and design of all the structures/buildings in the park and how they give one cohesive feel. Great update and thanks for the pics!

I've always been a sucker for small parks like this one... Haven't been to it, but from the shots, the only question I have is:

Are there are a lot of just wide open concrete paths? It seemed like there wasn't that much shade around the place.

I've always been a sucker for small parks like this one... Haven't been to it, but from the shots, the only question I have is:

Are there are a lot of just wide open concrete paths? It seemed like there wasn't that much shade around the place.

When the park was built they pretty much bulldozed everything. They did plant a ton of trees when they opened, but it has taken awhile for them to grow in. The problem with Celebration Street is all of the trees were cut down by former management because they felt the trees were blocking the store fronts. The shade issue is actually the biggest thing that came up during focus groups the park did at the end of last season, which is why they added the indoor restaurant, the indoor theater show, added the Gorge shade structure, trees down Celebration Street, etc. There have been several shade structures in previous years and I wouldn't be surprised to see more "cooling down" initiatives in the future.

Will the elimination of the pothole spot from Rampage get rid of the "Oh crap I am going to die on this ride!" part that made riding that so insanely fun?

Is the bar with the best air conditioning and best 5 dollar drinks I ever had still there?

I wonder if the improvements to the rapids ride will improve the station and the "wetness" of the ride. The station was flooded with disgusting stagnant water on the Deep South trip and even though it was crazy hot that day we barely got wet on the actual ride.

It's great to see all of these improvements! Glad they still care about the park and are improving it, versus just letting it rot. I just may have to do a deep south trip part 2 this summer!

When the park was built they pretty much bulldozed everything. They did plant a ton of trees when they opened, but it has taken awhile for them to grow in. The problem with Celebration Street is all of the trees were cut down by former management because they felt the trees were blocking the store fronts. The shade issue is actually the biggest thing that came up during focus groups the park did at the end of last season, which is why they added the indoor restaurant, the indoor theater show, added the Gorge shade structure, trees down Celebration Street, etc. There have been several shade structures in previous years and I wouldn't be surprised to see more "cooling down" initiatives in the future.

Gotcha.

It is amazing what a little landscaping/planters can do for the overall appeal of a place. Far too often rides are the number one priority when so much can be added by digging deeper into ways of manufacturing great guest experiences by other, often neglected, means.

These small improvements look great! I thought Alabama Adventure was a neat little park, I enjoyed my visit there last summer. It definitely appears that they have the room to expand and build more if they wanted to do so, I remember everything being spread out. And fixing the pothole on Rampage is an excellent idea, that part of the ride was pretty rough when you came across it. Hopefully you can ride it and let us know if it helped. I'd visit this park again sometime in the future, especially if they added a new credit and did a fair amount of improvements.

Me and tha family unit were there on Sunday. What a great family park! We had an awesome time! Rampage is definitely a must ride woodie, and Zoomerang was one of the smoothest boomerangs I have ever been on. I had never been on an slide like Upsurge, and had a blast riding it as well. I think it was my families favorite ride all day. When your hungry, you have to try out the new BBQ place when you go. It was amazing, and the potato salad was some of the best I have ever had at an amusement park. I also wanted to give a huge shout out to the fantastic management and staff who were exceptionally friendly and very helpful. Thank you so much! We can't wait to get back to Alabama Adventures!

On a side note, our Club TPR cards paid for themselves with this visit alone. If your not part of Club TPR. You need to join now! Membership has it's privileges!

Guy "When you flash your Club TPR card & ask for Michael Schwitek you get a free Alabama Adventures Bag-O-Crap! And it is awesome!" Koepp

1760276717_ClubTPR1.JPG.03bcad4f59926b2c4b1065dcacad3aff.JPG

Me, Alana, Jarett & January with our new friend Michael.

Thank you Alabama Adventures! We'll see you soon!

• 1 month later...

I went to Alabama Adventure for July 4the, had a great time and it was very packed!! The park looks great and I do appreciatte the improvements done for 2010, How ever I do have some Suggestions. The empty blue building on the que line of Wild River gorge needs to be turned into a photo stall or something of that nature and fix it up because I noticed some of the siding its chipped or coming off wich makes it look ghetto. Its ashame to just let that building sit there and rot. If a new roller coaster is not in the near future at least ad some more exciting flat rides.. etc a giant frisbee ride would be great, http://www.hussrides.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=157.

Does anyone know the status of the bid going on about the new log flume rumored on screamscape.com???

• 2 weeks later...

There is a rumor going around that AA next addition was going to be a boat ride/flume ride from the INTAMIN company: http://www.intaminworldwide.com/

If this is true, then I hope the one they are buying is the one called "Mega Splash."

The INTAMIN company also has some great roller coasters, as well as thrill rides.

The park has room for expansion and, if they are smart, they will buy up as much neighboring land as possible...when ever possible since the park has a good location.

I would love to see AA succeed and grow with AE as owners...and am keeping my fingers crossed for just that.

They are suppose to be having a great 2010 season as the weather has been really good....so far!

It would be nice to post what additions we would love to see Alabama Adventure add.....

Thinking about what rides I would like to see added....

For the water park:

Some open (not fully enclosed) slides

A racing slide

Family size tube slides (for more than two riders)

I would also like to see some type of floating cusions available for use on the Lazy River ride for those who are not all that comfortable floating around on those tubes.

For the amusement park:

A new Ferris wheel like the Coaster Wheel. (remove the current one and replace it with that!)

A couple of big big Dark Rides ...like a Haunted Mansion and something themed just for fun.

A Roller Soaker coaster ride..that could even travel over the water park section so you could drop water on the people there..and they (the people in the water park) could have water jets they could try to soak the riders on the roller coaster with!

I would also love to see the park purchase and restore any of the classic old rides that might become available. It would be fantastic for the park to create a "Yesteryear" section for these great old classics! They might even be able to get some sort of historical grant to help them save some of the great old rides! They could start with a classic like the 1927 Illions Supreme Carousel! http://carousel.com/antique/