TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

This is great news for a top class park. I'm glad they're getting another coaster, even if it is a kiddie. Speaking of kiddie coasters, did the Runaway Ore Cart ever resurface, or is this new coaster in fact that? I know on my visit this year there was no sign of it, and I have no clue where it used to be. Back when Robb and Elissa visited, someone had mentioned to them that it was getting full maintenance like Space Mountain, but that it would return this year. Anyone know more?

Ore Cart isnt coming back.. At least that is what the park told me a few months ago. I guess this new coaster is replacing it.

I think this new area will do the park good. Dollywood's new area is flooded with people now. Maybe this will help the back area of the park.

Regarding Celebration City... They REALLY need to start adding rides over there. Attendance wise, the park is down from their opening year considerably. They really need to pump in some good attractions over there.

Chris

I'd bet on seeing the Ore Cart reappear at Celebration City along with some new additions this year or next .. they do have alot of stuff there, but attendance isn't great there, and I'm not sure why as to alot of good attractions they have there (Flying Scooters, Wildcat, S&S Double Shot, Fireball)

• 11 months later...

Here it is, just as I thought - http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/rides-attractions/ride_detail.aspx?AttractionID=862

"New in '07! Silver Dollar City sends your family soaring on an All-NEW adventure – The GIANT Swing! Launch through the barn doors at an immediate 45mph and burst over 7 stories into the sky as you fly a full 230 degrees from one side of the barn to the other. Seated back-to-back on two giant pendulum arms, the sky is the limit!

This is not the old-fashioned knotted rope barn swing of your youth. Natural innovators, the Wilson family has enhanced their favorite pastime into a fantastic flying machine that has literally blown the

doors off the barn! If you’re brave enough to open your eyes, you’ll get a bird’s eye view of the NEW

Great Barn and beyond!

Swing by and see why everyone has a little farmer in them … the need for survival, the surge of acceleration and the rush of back-to-back Gs.

Farm life has never been so thrilling!"

Sweeeeeetness, I love these things, it just seems, well, un-SDCish... I mean, "Giant Swing"? Meh, oh well, the barn themeing looks great.

Here's some stats -

Height- 7.5 stories

Capacity

700 passengers per hour

Maximum Speed

45 miles per hour

Acceleration

Launch Swing System

Provides Immediate Launch!

hmmm, that sounds odd, "immediate launch", wonder what that means?

Anyway, the storyline sounds good though, gotta love them for really adding detail into the ride like that. See, these things can be themed

^Immediate launch? More like It's over before it began!

Apart from the short ride cycles, I've always found Screamin' Swings a little too forceless, even though the sensation isn't supposed to be ejector airtime, I've been on pirate ships with better out of seat action. But they are popular rides, so SDC aren't making a bad move by putting one in.

^ Don't listin to him! He's just a person who lives right across the forest from me and thinks that almost all rides suck!

Dude... totally uncalled for. Everyone is open to their own ideas...

Anywho, seems like these rides are popular with families and the GP, so it should be a good addition for SDC. Wanna bet they got a discount because of Powder Keg?

Im not sure this is enough to get me down to SDC still, the four hour drive just doesnt seem worth it yet. Maybe in a few years when that get another new coaster? Anyways, its cool to see they are going to theme it.

I think that the immediate launch thing means it just goes straight into the swinging, like there isnt a slow, meaningless buildup of speed.

Anyways, yipee SDC. I bet that the whole thing being inside a barn will create a real tunnel effect for a portion of the ride. Awesome

^ Don't listin to him! He's just a person who lives right across the forest from me and thinks that almost all rides suck!

Dude... totally uncalled for. Everyone is open to their own ideas...

Anywho, seems like these rides are popular with families and the GP, so it should be a good addition for SDC. Wanna bet they got a discount because of Powder Keg?

LOL! I was just joking around. and he does live right across a lake, a zoo, and a forest from me (a total of 2 miles). Also, he thinks a lot of rides suck (did you ever read any of his PTRs?).

How is "Powder Keg"

The line was awfully long last time I went.

It's pretty sweet, although it is kinda queer. There aren't any other rides really like it, but it's really nice. It's got the same restraints as the screamin' swing, which allow for loads of air time.

And about the GS, I'm still pondering as to how they will fit that into SDC.

Midwestinfoguide.com has some pics of land clearing, but the location just doesn't make since... I'd always thought they would complete the path from Wildfire to Powderkeg with the next big ride, but it does help to spread the rides out a little.

^^Meh, I don't see why people are complaining about these rides sprouting up, they are sweet rides, in fact, they are probably my favorite.

Really, what does it matter that a bunch of parks have these? I mean, a bunch of parks have ferris wheels and carousels, but that doesnt make them lame...

Plus this one will be a bit different with it's launch system and extensive themeing.

Also, who else thinks the name will change? I still don't see SDC releasing a ride with a name like that...

I don't know what to think of this ride. I've heard decent reviews about Skyhawk, but these rides are cloned way to much. If they want this to be a family ride, then it is a great move, but if they want a thrill ride, then I think that they should have gone with a Sky Swat.

And they clone those pesky Ferris Wheels and Carousels and Spider/Octopus Rides way too much too.

Such a bad ride for such a great park.

I agree, but on the basis that a Screamin Swing doesn't belong in a park like SDC - it's too amusement park-ish. I don't care how themed it is, HFE may have jumped the shark with this one.

I was kind of hoping Silver Dollar City wouldn't follow Dollywood in becoming more "ride oriented".