TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventuredome Discussion Thread

Buckets, buckets, everywhere...

I think some of the buckets & trashcans actually read, "As seen in TPR trip reports!". Hopefully in the future they'll at least...paint the rain receptacles, since I think a fix to the roof is too much to hope for.

It's been forever since I was last at the Adventuredome. But I've often wondered how well the dome would hold up with a lot of rain with so much glass. Well, now I know...

Canyon Blaster's new trains look really nice. I did notice that they've shortened the train to six cars from seven (when I last rode). Not a big deal, just an observation.

Just a note, I noticed that one of your photos was missing the slash in the closing tag, so it didn't display. It's the one followed by the caption "How wet?"

I have a funny story about something that happened on my first ride when the train was right where it's shown here:

Nice report of a park that we don't see much of.

Eric

Canyon Blaster's new trains look really nice. I did notice that they've shortened the train to six cars from seven (when I last rode). Not a big deal, just an observation.

Just a note, I noticed that one of your photos was missing the slash in the closing tag, so it didn't display. It's the one followed by the caption "How wet?"

Eric

Thanks for noticing that, I will fix that when I get home tonight. They removed the last car a few years ago, I believe it made the ride run a lot better! You can see in the station where the two gates used to be for car 7.

John

Here was that missing picture.

How Wet?

Does anyone remember when Rim Runner had the front and back rows open in the boat?

I remember getting soaked on that ride back then, now its a nice misting. They also used to have the bridge open where they have arcade games now, there were no windows so spectators could get soaked as well.

Also when Grand Slam Canyon first opened there were a couple of slides where you went down riding a raft, much like Yosemite Sam's Sierra Falls. It was in the corner where the bumper cars, and swinging ship is today.

Another fun fact, Grand Slam Canyon was originally a Pay To Enter park, and not a Pay Per Attraction park.

I sure miss the dinosaur theme within the park.

John

My one and only ride on Rim Runner was in 1995, not too long after it opened. I thought it was an enjoyable ride, which is why I was confused when plans were made to remove it during the last year or two. But, strangely, it's still there. Were those plans scrapped or is Rim Runner still on its way out?

Eric

Wow, that place definately looked so much better when I was there many years ago.

So I guess the rumours about the Rim Runner being taken out for another coaster aren't true then. I remembered once a picture on screamscape of a Rim Runner boat sitting outside the park. Could just be taken out for rehab/repairs though.

The trains look great, they almost look like the ones used on Drachen Fire. I love the TR, as I do with all of them here on TPR.
The Trains on Canyon Blaster are the same style as those used on Drachen Fire and I believe another Arrow Coaster in Japan? Speaking of Canyon Blaster's Trains, have both of them been repainted from the color shifting Teal/Purple to this Lime Green?

Here was that missing picture.

How Wet?

Does anyone remember when Rim Runner had the front and back rows open in the boat?

I remember getting soaked on that ride back then, now its a nice misting. They also used to have the bridge open where they have arcade games now, there were no windows so spectators could get soaked as well.

Also when Grand Slam Canyon first opened there were a couple of slides where you went down riding a raft, much like Yosemite Sam's Sierra Falls. It was in the corner where the bumper cars, and swinging ship is today.

Another fun fact, Grand Slam Canyon was originally a Pay To Enter park, and not a Pay Per Attraction park.

I sure miss the dinosaur theme within the park.

John

It wasn't just a "Pay to Enter" Park when it opened, but each ride also required "Points" on the Ticket you had to Purchase. My family visited shortly after Grand Slam Canyon opened and both Rim Runner and Canyon Blaster were running with all Boats and Both Trains. We waited 45 Minutes in a Line to Purchase our Wristband to enter the park and Point Tickets. Later, we had to wait in another 30 minute line to purchase more Points to be added to our tickets to ride Canyon Blaster more. It was a Pain in the Butt!

- Sid

Speaking of Canyon Blaster's Trains, have both of them been repainted from the color shifting Teal/Purple to this Lime Green?

It wasn't just a "Pay to Enter" Park when it opened, but each ride also required "Points" on the Ticket you had to Purchase. My family visited shortly after Grand Slam Canyon opened and both Rim Runner and Canyon Blaster were running with all Boats and Both Trains. We waited 45 Minutes in a Line to Purchase our Wristband to enter the park and Point Tickets. Later, we had to wait in another 30 minute line to purchase more Points to be added to our tickets to ride Canyon Blaster more. It was a Pain in the Butt!

- Sid

Yes both of them have been repainted, completely new parts. However, one of the trains must be out for rehab because it wasn't in the transfer area last week. One of them was repainted in the middle of last year and the other was just added just after Fright Dome. Personally I really liked the trains when they were white with the old Grand Slam Canyon logo on it. The last remaining signage that said Grand Slam Canyon was removed last year. It was on a scale from the "Guess your Age or Weight" booth. It had the old logo Grand Slam Canyon and "Adventuredome" as the tag line.

I had totally forgotten about the point system on the rides as I was six when the park opened. But it totally sounds like a pain! But I do remember waiting in long lines for both Canyon Blaster and Rim Runner. It has been a long time since I've seen them run both trains on Canyon Blaster, but when they do, they did an amazing job! Just think about how short the ride is. When running both trains they need to dispatch the train that is in the station before the train on the course passes the second loop to avoid stacking the trains. Anyone who has experienced being stacked on Canyon Blaster knows it is a painful experience!The only brakes on the course are in the station and in the transfer area. It was crazy sitting in the front row and coming in seeing the train waiting in the station and you slamming into the brake run.

I was browsing the web and found these rare construction photos from Grand Slam Canyon.

timeflix.com/projects/grand_slam_canyon.html

Here's the old slides, this area is where the Bumper Cars are today.

This is the area where Chaos is today.

Here is a neat look back at all of the changes Canyon Blaster's trains have gone through in the last 16 years!

RCDB

Here are the original colors of the trains with the old logos. Note seven cars.

The second set of colors right after the last car was removed, and before the renaming of the park.

The third set of colors.

And finally the current set.

www.themeparkreview.com/denver2005/waterworld/waterworld1.htm

I just wandered upon this as well. From TPR Water World in Denver, CO

The short lived skyway from Grand Slam Canyon, I wonder if this is the actual one from the park.

I only rode it at Grand Slam Canyon one time.

The only logo I could find from ultimaterollercoaster.com

For the park it said "Grand Slam Canyon" where Canyon Blaster is and "Adventuredome" on the bottom.

John

Edited by Mr Stratosphere

Wow, that place definately looked so much better when I was there many years ago.

So I guess the rumours about the Rim Runner being taken out for another coaster aren't true then. I remembered once a picture on screamscape of a Rim Runner boat sitting outside the park. Could just be taken out for rehab/repairs though.

^ I haven't heard anything else about the new coaster, but I remember taking the photo of the boat sitting out back, the boat had been removed for scrap because there was a huge crack in the hull.

John

A new coaster will do for me, not a kiddie one though. Something thrilling perhaps. Or even a new water ride.

I don't know if they'll even bother putting in a new ride as that place is so beat up already and maintainence costs may be too much already. I remember back when I visited atleast that place was still decent as in no leaky roof etc.

After consulting with a dome engineer, I place the costs of repair and upkeep for the next three years at 4.2 million usd. Based on their capital expenses for that period a new ride as well as a dome refurb is possible. Can you be more specific in what type of coaster you would like to see built there as well as what company? I need specifics as you must understand your opinion matters.