TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Jason Garcia of the Orlando Sentinel just tweeted the following from the Universal Orlando Wizarding World of Harry Potter Press Conference:

Ride names are exactly as rumored: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge, Flight of the Hippogriff

More details regarding the conference should be out later today.

Anyone who is following the announcement, this guy/girl on Twitter has a pretty good rundown of whats going on.

Edit-- annddd it just ended.

Nothing too unexpected aside from Hogwarts having a retail shop inside, the names, and Forbidden Journey couldnt be further from a roller coaster. Plus apparently a ton of new pictures are about to be put on the website.

So, um, that's ... neat. The shops will be cool for sure, but they are easily justified in the planning because they produce revenue. I guess my broke ass just gets to watch parents buy stuff for their kids.

I think they held back information about shows, because there is nothing mentioned so far that would indicate they aren't doing any rumored show-like entertainment. I suppose Magi-Quest would fall under that category? One can hope.

Not to sound like a downer... the concept art is great, the fly arounds are cool, and the whole thing has me very excited. There.

Edit: oh the lovely word filter that keeps my mouth clean

Let's keep it real though.. unless this indoor dark ride surpasses Spiderman,

JTTCotA, or Indiana Jones... it's gonna be a huge letdown. Two rethemed

coasters (not being a Pot-head.. I enjoyed DD better), some (read: lots

of) shopping, and...... well, nothing else really is a huge letdown for me.

I would have much rather had Universal go ahead with that Helicop-

TOURS ride in Jurassic Park I had heard about.

I guess the jury will remain out until I get on this Harry Potter ride... but it

had better be IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE. I'm just as much NOT a Harry

Potter fan as I am not a Spiderman fan.. but that ride changed my

opinion.. at least as far as the ride goes. Let's see if this one does

the same.

"Rob "they should have let Disney do the Harry Potter thing..." Vaccaro

Should be pretty awesome, I am definitely looking forward to this. However, that press release was practically nothing since all that information (for the most part) was already known. They also seemed to not release to much on the Forbidden Journey itself, outside of just saying it is one-of-a-kind. Regardless, this will definitely draw people into the park as even the GP knows Hogwarts is being built.

Without doubt it will be good to see this project continue and watch that section of the park transform. Dueling Dragons should be cool if they get even further themed and lets be real here, Hogwarts looks awesome. When do the Dragons go down (or have they) for their transformation?

Coolest thing though, remote controlled snitches. That is pretty awesome!

I guess maybe I'd be more jazzed about this if I was even remotely interested in the franchise. This is about as exciting to me as a Dungeons and Dragons tournament or Lord of the Rings movie.. which is to say, not at all.

The least I can do now is pray that the dark ride is an E-ticket attraction on the scale of Spiderman or Curse of the Mummy.

I thought there was a special MagiQuest also. I'm surprised that isn't mentioned.

But really, name me a time in recent history where Universal has not delivered a blockbuster ride.

Spidey - STILL the greatest ride, 10 years after it opened.

Mummy - both of them are great and unique. My 65 year-old mother-in-law loved USH's.

MIB - The best shooting dark ride around

Simpsons - haven't ridden yet, but it was reusing an existing ride. Speaking of, BTTF was the pinnacle of motion base rides, too.

Universal has never really opened a ride that wasnt' amazing for it's price point. And with the kind of cash that seems to be going into Potter, I'll be amazed if it doesn't raise the bar well above Spidey.

Disney, however, does stuff like Everest, that is good, but you really scratch your head to figure out how the hell it cost $100 million. Hell, the Yeti doesn't even work any more.

Same for Space, tons of cash, and it doesn't come close to the appeal of any of Uni's big rides.

I guess there is a first time for everything, but Universal is batting a thousand in my book.

-RO

I thought there was a special MagiQuest also. I'm surprised that isn't mentioned.

But really, name me a time in recent history where Universal has not delivered a blockbuster ride.

Mummy - both of them are great and unique. My 65 year-old mother-in-law loved USH's.

Simpsons - haven't ridden yet, but it was reusing an existing ride. Speaking of, BTTF was the pinnacle of motion base rides, too.

Universal has never really opened a ride that wasnt' amazing for it's price point. And with the kind of cash that seems to be going into Potter, I'll be amazed if it doesn't raise the bar well above Spidey.

Disney, however, does stuff like Everest, that is good, but you really scratch your head to figure out how the hell it cost $100 million. Hell, the Yeti doesn't even work any more.

Same for Space, tons of cash, and it doesn't come close to the appeal of any of Uni's big rides.

I guess there is a first time for everything, but Universal is batting a thousand in my book.

-RO

In terms of Space and Everest, I would hardly consider them as lowly as you speak of.

Space is a truly one of a kind ride, the first ride to successfully incorporate incredible forces in a motion based ride. And the sheer scale of Everest is unlike anything else.

What Disney goes for is the awe factor. I have yet to see Universal top the queue of Indiana Jones, or the pure scale of the Tower of Terrors . Even Everest, and Test Track are truly well thought out, themed well, and magnanimous in their effect on the theme park industry altogether.

However, Universal's formula for success in terms of Harry Potter seems lackluster. They are essentially re-branding the entire park, rethemeing one of the best rides of all times, and for what? A book. I would consider this a ploy to ride the wake of Harry Potter.

I wouldn't be all too surprised if in 5 years this Harry Potter land will look exactly like Forks, Washington; with Dragons rebranded as Edward vs. Jacob.

Space and Everest aren't lowly, but they aren't killer E-tickets either. Space is just too intense for the average person, proven by the fact that they spent millions of dollars on a centrifuge, and don't even spin one of them anymore.

Everest is a really big mountain, but the coaster isn't at all. And going around backwards, in a big dark circle, is not fun, imho.

BUt yeah, Universal should instead retheme the park to Florida.

Harry Potter will be a theme for the ages. 7 books, 8 movies, magic, youthful protagonist. Kids will be learning about Potter for years.

I agree with some of your Disney rides, but what do they have in common? Indy and the original ToT are amazing, but they're 15 years old or more. It won't be until Little Mermaid and Cars come out that Disney is really showing there stuff again. And I'm a bit nervous on cars. I think the ride is well above $100 million, and I just can't see it really delivering that with what sounds like only a small portion of the ride being inside.

-RO

Space and Everest aren't lowly, but they aren't killer E-tickets either. Space is just too intense for the average person, proven by the fact that they spent millions of dollars on a centrifuge, and don't even spin one of them anymore.

Everest is a really big mountain, but the coaster isn't at all. And going around backwards, in a big dark circle, is not fun, imho.

BUt yeah, Universal should instead retheme the park to Florida.

Harry Potter will be a theme for the ages. 7 books, 8 movies, magic, youthful protagonist. Kids will be learning about Potter for years.

I agree with some of your Disney rides, but what do they have in common? Indy and the original ToT are amazing, but they're 15 years old or more. It won't be until Little Mermaid and Cars come out that Disney is really showing there stuff again. And I'm a bit nervous on cars. I think the ride is well above $100 million, and I just can't see it really delivering that with what sounds like only a small portion of the ride being inside.

-RO

Yeah that makes sense in terms of Cars. But everything looks well done in terms of the exterior modeling.

And it will be pricey, but that ride pretty much needs to be the e-ticket to relieve DCA's reputation as being a last minute theme park.

Let's keep it real though.. unless this indoor dark ride surpasses Spiderman,

JTTCotA, or Indiana Jones... it's gonna be a huge letdown. Two rethemed

coasters (not being a Pot-head.. I enjoyed DD better), some (read: lots

of) shopping, and...... well, nothing else really is a huge letdown for me.

I would have much rather had Universal go ahead with that Helicop-

TOURS ride in Jurassic Park I had heard about.

I guess the jury will remain out until I get on this Harry Potter ride... but it

had better be IN-fudging-CREDIBLE. I'm just as much NOT a Harry

Potter fan as I am not a Spiderman fan.. but that ride changed my

opinion.. at least as far as the ride goes. Let's see if this one does

the same.

This sounds pretty spot on to me. I'm holding out hope that the ride is something that really makes me sit up and take notice. Otherwise, all I'm seeing is a pretty intricate and highly themed Harry Potter shopping center.

Oh sure, the Potter fans will thoroughly enjoy being in such a hugely immersive "book/movie-brought-to-life" environment. However, judging solely from the artwork, etc., and aside from the new ride, is this place anything really different from seeing a new country put in at Epcot? And not that that's a bad thing of course, but I was just expecting slightly....more?

-RO

In terms of Space and Everest, I would hardly consider them as lowly as you speak of.

Space is a truly one of a kind ride, the first ride to successfully incorporate incredible forces in a motion based ride. And the sheer scale of Everest is unlike anything else.

What Disney goes for is the awe factor. I have yet to see Universal top the queue of Indiana Jones, or the pure scale of the Tower of Terrors . Even Everest, and Test Track are truly well thought out, themed well, and magnanimous in their effect on the theme park industry altogether.

However, Universal's formula for success in terms of Harry Potter seems lackluster. They are essentially re-branding the entire park, rethemeing one of the best rides of all times, and for what? A book. I would consider this a ploy to ride the wake of Harry Potter.

I wouldn't be all too surprised if in 5 years this Harry Potter land will look exactly like Forks, Washington; with Dragons rebranded as Edward vs. Jacob.

I would like to reply to this with some sort of intelligent, well thought out rebuttal. Unfortunately, I find myself unable to do so since I have no idea what you're talking about. All I got out of this post was "I'm a Disney fan." Perhaps you could help me out by using actual quantitative terms instead of hyperbole to describe these attractions? I mean, what exactly is the "sheer scale" of Everest and how is it "unlike anything else?" And how is Universal re-branding an entire park when it's only one section that's changing?

Yeah, that's about all I got too. Hey, I love Disney, but they just don't build the massive E-tickets in the US anymore. Cars has the potential.

I really don't understand what folks thought HP was going to be. All the big parks in Orlando are mostly shops. And I don't think teh HP shops are going to be generic shops.

Marvel Superhero Island is mostly shops and restaurants. But they have Spidey and a great coaster too. No one complains about that.

-RO

Yeah, that's about all I got too. Hey, I love Disney, but they just don't build the massive E-tickets in the US anymore. Cars has the potential.

Massive E-tickets? Or massive E-tickets that you enjoy?

Yes, they struck out with MS, but I'd still consider it in the "E-ticket" category. Same with Everest. Most of us acknowledge it to be a tame, family coaster. But, by definition, I'd still consider it a pretty big "E-ticket" attraction.

Or maybe I'm just behind the times, and the definition of "E-ticket" has dramatically changed? To each his own perhaps.

Marvel Superhero Island is mostly shops and restaurants. But they have Spidey and a great coaster too. No one complains about that.

True, but I think where some of us are discouraged is that Potterburg is really just a new ride, two re-themes, and a shopping mall. If it was a brand new "island" then eh, whatever. But some of us enjoyed the only non-corporate "island" the way it was. With all that said, the new ride could still turn out to be jawdropping. We'll see.

I would consider Everest and Space E-tickets, but they just didn't have the wow of a true E-ticket. Especially when Everest's big item, the Yeti, is dead most of the time. When I rode it, he was working, and was quite impressive. It's a great ride, but as I said, it's just not $100 million great.

As for Potter not being a new island. It is. MSH Island is Spidey, Hulk, Dr. Doom and restaurants and shops. Cartoon Lagoon is two awesome water rides and shops and restaurants. Jurassic Park is one awesome ride, a small coaster, and shops and restaurants.

And I still think MagiQuest will be a big part of HP land.

So, I don't understand what folks wanted. Universal spends big bucks on leading edge rides. I go to a theme park for a ride that blows me away with a unique experience. I go to Six Flags for a bunch of fun rides.

A bunch of little rides, and some games could have been added, I guess. BUt if the big HP ride delivers, every kid that visits will tell their classmates about the ride where they helped Harry defeat Voldemort by flying through Hogwarts on a broom (or whatever the ride is). Nothing else will matter.

-RO

Well, to this point, the only thing I'm intrigued by is the snow they're gonna produce to blanket the buildings (that is still in the plans, isn't it?). Maybe the rest will prove me wrong. I can hope.

And I still think MagiQuest will be a big part of HP land.

Yeah, I suppose this will have something to do with that:

Ollivanders wand shop is an incredible interactive experience where the wand chooses the wizard

And judging by Electerik's Pigeon Forge coverage, there is potential there, I guess.

Can't say I agree there. I like the USF version, the USH just isn't up to the same level.

If you haven't riden it, I wouldn't put it up for any comparison. It's, um, not good.

Yeti is up and working again, just a FYI. He's the most complex AA ever created so, I'd say a large chunk of cash went in to him more than anything. I don't think you can't say that the EE queue is one of the most impressive ever created. It really draws you into the story, if you have time to look at all the eye candy.

I'm not even going to argue about M:S. I hate it, and that it took Horizons place makes my heart ache.

I'm a Disney fanboy, but I enjoy Universal. I'm just not all that impressed with the Potter stuff. Then again, I haven't read one book or seen one of the movies, and I'd imagine there's a lot more just like me out there. That being said, I still think it'll bring in the crowds because of it's mass appeal to the younger/ish kids, and early adults that grew up reading the books.