TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think we know it will be tall... and fast... probably a long layout. The main question in my mind is the trains. Intamin seems to be on this kick lately with short 3 car trains. Please don't make me wait in a line that moves like Fahrenheit's ever again.

I think we know it will be tall... and fast... probably a long layout. The main question in my mind is the trains. Intamin seems to be on this kick lately with short 3 car trains. Please don't make me wait in a line that moves like Fahrenheit's ever again.

Those 3 car trains are only on the Launched Blitz coaster types (Maverick) or the 95* drop coasters (Fahrenheit).

I think these trains will be normal length.

^Also keep in mind that this coaster could be 6,500+ feet of track and the coasters using the smaller trains are no where near that length. I doubt they would use anything other than the 9 car trains we know and love.

For something that is not related to the Giga Coaster discussion, I went through some of my older video footage and put together a ten minute video with footage from 2006. Lots and lots of Hypersonic footage is included as well as everyone's favorite former park "ranger".

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=KDominionTPR2006outtakes_fx95[/coastertube]

The short trains are necessary on extreme drop angles and very quick transitions. Otherwises, the Gs on the last car/row would be too intense. On a ride like Maverick or Farenheit, if the train were to be 5 or 6 cars long the last car would FLY over the crest of the drop hill. Think about how much negative G you already get in the back row...yeah.

Mess around in NL and you'll see what I mean.

The short trains are necessary on extreme drop angles and very quick transitions. Otherwises, the Gs on the last car/row would be too intense. On a ride like Maverick or Farenheit, if the train were to be 5 or 6 cars long the last car would FLY over the crest of the drop hill. Think about how much negative G you already get in the back row...yeah.

I recall seeing on one of the recent coaster shows that the shorter trains had more to do with clearing the tight radius of the vertical lift & sections of maverick's layout....a smaller train = a shorter wheelbase,which allows for a tighter turning radius when going up or down hills.

I recall seeing on one of the recent coaster shows that the shorter trains had more to do with clearing the tight radius of the vertical lift & sections of maverick's layout....a smaller train = a shorter wheelbase,which allows for a tighter turning radius when going up or down hills.

Once you've got the short wheelbase that's needed on the cars it doesn't matter how long the train is... The trains on Maverick and Fahrenheit are short because of the drop and the forces involved there.

So, we're having tons and tons of thunderstorms in VA, and KD is under a tornado warning. The storm is over KD right now...

Let's hope that there wasn't any damage to the park or the track pieces because if a tornado warning was issued it means that a tornado has been spotted in the area.

Let's hope that there wasn't any damage to the park or the track pieces because if a tornado warning was issued it means that a tornado has been spotted in the area.

Yes, potential loss of lives? No problem.

Loss of new track pieces, or damage to the park? PLEASE GOD, DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

Living in tornado alley, a tornado warning for us just means there's a dark cloud probably. We've had our sirens sound here many times this year, and not once was there ever a tornado when they were sounding. There were some in other parts of Kansas, but nowhere near me. Lots of us in a tornado warning go on our front porches to watch because nothing is going to happen.

I would love to be able to go out and watch tornados from my front porch, but here in southern California it's hard to do that, we just sit here and wait for the ground to shake! Back on topic though, I'm sure the park was fine along with all the people in the area, or I'm sure the news would have surfaced here by now.

The one thing I hope about the new giga coaster is that it has plenty of airtime. I didn't like the fact that millennium force only had 2 air time hills. But I don't want a lot like B&M Hypers or Steel Dragon 2000. Maybe a equal balance like Expedition GeForce.