TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I'm more interested in seeing the new staircase scene as my only problem with the Haunted Mansion was the pointless waste of space that the spiderwebs were. Now, we have something unique (for now) on the way. I plan on going to the previews in September to check it out.

I remember there being a spider scene right at the beginning of the ride where the Doom Buggies are travelling uphill, I'm glad they're replacing it, the out of scale spiders don't really do it for me.

I also noticed some of my rides on WDW's HM didn't have audio and I found myself listening to the car next to me's soundtrack. Glad they're giving it an overhaul without changing very much of the ride's core scenes.

I don't' see how thats possible. It sounds like they're turning it into a clone of Disneyland's.

Yes, we are getting the story upgrades that Disneyland recieved during their refurbishment, but we are also getting a unique scene made specifically for the Florida version. It won't be any more of a clone than it was before both versions had their refurbs- mind you, they are based off of the same ride concept, so you could always argue that they are clones.

These upgrades should put it over DL's again.

I don't' see how thats possible. It sounds like they're turning it into a clone of Disneyland's.

WDW's mansion has always been slightly longer than DL's. It also has a much better facade IMO. All it's been missing is the upkeep. Simply putting the effects on par with DL's would make it superior.

• 1 month later...

a big ol' BUMP to this thread...

So from what I've read it officially reopens today and I plan on running over there tonight to ride it. If anyone beats me to it, post your thoughts here...or even if you don't still post your thoughts here. I hear there are new effects even beyond what we already know about.

I can't wait to hear about these new renovations, I havent been to disneyworld in a very long time unfortunately so i don't remember the spider scene, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like the spider scene was kinda pointless and boring. Its nice to know that they are giving the Haunted mansion some tender love and care.

I'm curious to see how everything turned out. From the models shown, the staircase looks very stunning, but that to me seems to be the biggest improvement in terms of set pieces. Everything else, set wise, comes directly from Disneyland. Constance, Floating Leota and the changing portrait gallery are all just Disneyland clones. The other improvements will be things that the normal guest won't really recognize, like lighting improvements and stuff. As for other fancy things, it's possible. There were wishful thinking ideas flying from the Imagineers before it went down, but it really seems like none of those ideas came into fruition. Oh well, maybe in another 36 years it'll get another refurbishment to do those ideas.

Florida's Mansion needed some serious love. These upgrades should put it over DL's again.

Impossible. DL's Mansion is closed right now, but I think it's due to the installation of Haunted Mansion Holiday.

How does DL's Mansion being closed for the holiday overlay make it "impossible?"

As much as we all know I want to throw off my shirt and jump into this pool of Haunted Mansion comparisons--

--that's not what this thread is about. Let's stay focused on the updates that Florida's Mansion is getting, please.

I personally look forward to some info/media on the new staircase effects! Either way, I'm REALLY glad to see the Mansion get some love. I know its condition was one of my biggest gripes about my MK visit last year, so I definitely say it deserves it!

-Jahan

How does DL's Mansion being closed for the holiday overlay make it "impossible?"

Impossible for any other version to be better than the original.

Florida doesn't do Haunted Mansion Holiday. Therefore, Disneyland's is already better.

I read that's because the average DL guest will visit the park many, many times throughout their lifetime and knows the Haunted Mansion well, so a modification is a bonus for them (us). The average Magic Kingdom guest may only visit the park once during their lifetime so if they ride the HM only once it should be the original version and not have a seasonal overlay.

I personally look forward to some info/media on the new staircase effects! Either way, I'm REALLY glad to see the Mansion get some love. I know its condition was one of my biggest gripes about my MK visit last year, so I definitely say it deserves it!

-Jahan

Your wish is my command Jahan...well this time anyway. These are from Inside the Magic's flickr page. They are photos with a flash, so I assume it looks even more impressive in the dark.

Some new "venting" in Stretch

The Changing Portrait Gallery

The Grand Staircase

The Attic

Constance

Doesn't look too bad. I love the vents in Stretch. A perfect little detail. The portrait gallery is long time coming, but that wallpaper is bright! I wonder how it looks in the dark. The staircase is beautiful. It's wonderful they're putting that huge space to good use. The attic looks very well done, but the bride isn't too lovely. However, it is a flash picture. The spirits generally do not come out well on film.

I shall be checking it out this Sunday. Looks pretty good so far. I got to see it yesterday, yes I know the day before reopening, but I did get a picture of the Mansion from the outside.

200709120011.jpg.5920fdb3097588f1064f6d3773a6baa5.jpg

In case you never saw the letter during its referb.

200709120016.jpg.eb5002c6d2d7e36901abcf370e1cfbe3.jpg

When Disney says no soft opening, they mean no soft opening.

200709120017.jpg.f9912605ecb05bda116266c7e3e41dbb.jpg

I thought it looked different

Thanks Stuart! Totally digging the Escher vibes in the staircases. Where exactly in the attraction does that come?

Look forward to seeing if any non-flash photos came out. The fact that I can see the bride apparently "plugged in" detracts from her eerieness.

...but the bride is honestly the creepiest thing I've ever seen added to a Disney ride!

-Jahan

^ Well, the bride was originally just thrown into there as a result of the success of the bride in the Phantom Manor. But she didn't do anything except for hold a candle, with a beating heart.

Now the bride redefines the entire story of the ride. Essentially--she marries men, chops off their head with an axe, and then takes their fortune, only to repeat multiple times--thus, she's a rich, psycho-bitch who owned all of the wealth in the attic.

-Jahan

Thanks Stuart! Totally digging the Escher vibes in the staircases. Where exactly in the attraction does that come?

Look forward to seeing if any non-flash photos came out. The fact that I can see the bride apparently "plugged in" detracts from her eerieness.

...but the bride is honestly the creepiest thing I've ever seen added to a Disney ride!

-Jahan

Do you remember the crappy section where you see the giant spiders around 1/4-1/3 of the way through the ride? They removed the spiders and added the cool new effect.