TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Kennywood is not in the business of removing classic rides. They are in the business of preserving them. Better than almost any other park.

However you want to slice it, the Flying Carpet was not reliable or that popular any more. It was fun, but it's time has passed.

The Kurve and Swing Around will most likely end up back some day, but not neccesarily at Kennywood. It would surprise me at all if one of them found their way to Idlewild or Compounce.

Actually Ted, from what I understand the Kurve will be back at Kennywood probably in 08. The swing around will probably venture its way to either Idewild or Compounce in the next year or so.

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching the morning news and they had a segment on the construction at Kennywood. They played it up as if a UFO landed at the old site of the Flying Carpet leaving a big hole. They showed the hole filled in with concrete. The park has an update on their website asking for people seeing anything unusual in the area to e-mail the park at UFO@kennywood.com.

Kennywood is pretty creative in creating some hype for a flat ride like a mega Disk'O without having much of a budget. UFO, Disk'O, makes sense even if the ride doesn't have much theming. The reporter said to expect an announcement next week for the ride.

VERY COOL! I love Kennywood's creativity. Like you said Tim, no big budget, and yet, that's part of the charm Kennywood has. You know it's home-made, but it's awesome.

I kinda thought this ride would be themed for Volcano Valley, but I like this UFO much better. Hopefully it will have lots of lights and effects, something that Kennywood likes to stay away from.

I kinda thought this ride would be themed for Volcano Valley, but I like this UFO much better. Hopefully it will have lots of lights and effects, something that Kennywood likes to stay away from.

We'll see if my source is correct but I'm not expecting lights and effects on the ride. I envision this ride being much like the Flying Carpet which it is replacing. A ride with it's own theme not tied to anything else. I'd have to guess that Kennywood will give this ride a unique name related to UFOs especially since it will help the opening year marketing efforts.

The bad thing about Kennywood...is that they always take out the best rides and replace them...not that i'm complaining because they always put in awsome replacements ie SwingShot. I hope that when the expansion is complete, they add back alot of the old rides they took out.

It's really nice to see they're building an arsenal of "new" rides again, it seemed they were in a slump of used and rejuvenated rides for a few seasons. Two years in a row for "new" stuff, woohoo! I just might make the trip this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennywood to add new thrill ride

Friday, January 26, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kennywood is adding a new extraterrestrial thrill ride for next season, the Cosmic Chaos.

The ride seats 24 people on a giant disk, which looks like a U.F.O. From a height of 50 feet, the disk travels along 120 feet of concave track while riders spin around in a circle.

"This ride is definitely the best new 'flat ride' we could purchase," Kennywood Entertainment President Pete McAneny said. "The ride sensation is totally different than anything I've ever experienced."

Cosmic Chaos seats riders on a motorcycle-like pedestal seat with a back restraint. With arms and legs unrestrained, riders look outward, Mr. McAneny said.

The ride, manufactured as the MEGA DISK'O by Zamperla, Inc., was renamed Cosmic Chaos as part of in-house naming contest among Kennywood ride supervisors.

(sigh) This brings back such good memories as a kid, getting SOOOOOOO excited about what was new at Kennywood. Didn't matter what it was, but to me, it was THE topic of the year, every year, and once news broke, that was it, everyone hated Dennis, cause all he'd talk about is Kennywood.

Remember the days before the internet, when your only way of finding out was through the local news? It was like clockwork, every spring, the Friday before opening Sunday, was press day. Wish i could find all my old videos, I had 3 VCRs going at the same time to record each channel's take on the ride announcement.

OK, I'm done nerding out now.

Remember the days before the internet, when your only way of finding out was through the local news? It was like clockwork, every spring, the Friday before opening Sunday, was press day. Wish i could find all my old videos, I had 3 VCRs going at the same time to record each channel's take on the ride announcement.

I can't say I had 3 VCRs going but I still have a tape of the opening of the Steel Phantom. But I do recall the buildup for Kennywood and parks like Cedar Point. I taped the media preview of Magnum but I lost it. Each channel would (and still does) show the media day footage. They'll mention it for an hour throughout the newscast and it's always the last thing they show before signing off.

It was more fun in those days as far as anticipation goes. Watching the TV news or getting that copy of ACE News in the mail to find out all of the news was exciting. We know so much more which is great for the off season and planning purposes but it is like opening a gift and already knowing what's inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Link to official Press Release

http://www.kennywood.com/docs/12.11.07KECNewChapterRelease.pdf

New Chapter in Kennywood Entertainment History Announced

PITTSBURGH, December 11, 2007 ? Kennywood Entertainment of Pittsburgh announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its amusement park holdings, including Kennywood in West Mifflin, PA, Idlewild & SoakZone in Ligonier, PA, Sandcastle Waterpark in West Homestead, PA and New England parks Lake Compounce Theme Park in

Bristol, CT and Story Land in Glen, New Hampshire.

Kennywood Entertainment has been a closely held family business since F.W. Henninger and Andrew McSwigan purchased Kennywood Park from the Monongahela Railway Company in 1906. The Henninger and McSwigan families, now in fourth and fifth generation, have remained owners for over 100 years.

Acquiring Kennywood Entertainment is Parques Reunidos, based in Madrid, Spain, an international operator that manages 61 amusement, animal and water parks in the U.S. and Europe, with total annual visitors exceeding 22 million and revenues exceeding $570 million.

Parques Reunidos, with the financial backing of the Candover investment fund, a private equity investor in London, approached Kennywood with a purchase offer as part of their plan to consolidate family entertainment venues around the globe.

?The Kennywood experience?as visitors have come to love and expect?will continue. Nothing will seem different, even to the folks working at the parks. Existing management and staff will remain in place,? said Harry Henninger, Chairman of Kennywood Entertainment.

?In recent years, we've had talks with other operators wishing to acquire us, but Parques Reunidos is the first one to share our vision and philosophy.?

"We have tremendous respect for the work of the Kennywood management team and are delighted to acquire such a quality organization,? said Richard Golding, Chief Executive Officer of Parques Reunidos. ?They've built Kennywood Entertainment into an industry leader in family entertainment. We are anxious to continue the gold standard of entertainment they have established."

?Richard Golding recognizes and appreciates the deep affection that all of the Kennywood properties enjoy with their communities,? said Peter J. McAneny, Kennywood Entertainment President. ?They intend to preserve these connections and build upon the history and tradition existing at each of the parks." Henninger added, "This has been a very difficult decision for members of the founding families, now numbering over one hundred and residing all over the country. All of us are tremendously proud of what we created with Kennywood Entertainment. It has truly been a magical ride, managing Kennywood, starting Sandcastle, expanding and improving both Idlewild and Lake Compounce.?

A March completion date is anticipated. The agreement is subject to satisfactory completion of due diligence inquiries by the parties. The purchase price is not being disclosed.

I think I am going to go cry now.

Edited by larrygator

It's always sad to see tradition end like this, especially after a century of family onwership.

Parques Reunidos have quite a diverse portfolio of attractions. Parque De Attractiones Madrid, Bobbejaanland, Mirabilandia, Parque Warner Madrid, Bonbonland, and they also acquired Tusenfryd in November. I've been to a few of those parks and from what I've seen they look really good and are run really well. Concrete and trashcans certainly dont appear to be on the agenda.