TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Funtown Spashtown Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Funtown Splashtown USA, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

July 14th, 2006 - Waterpark to double in size in 2007 - SEE BELOW!

November 6th, 2008 - Wild Mouse to replace Galaxi

May 18th, 2010 - Park has record-breaking weekend & "Roll Back Rates"

July 22nd, 2011 - Theme Park Review to visit the park this Summer!

July 28th, 2011 - New water slide tower with six slides announced!

December 5th, 2011 - Vertical construction on major expansion begins!

April 29, 2020 - Funtown Splashtown closed for 2020

Original Post:

FUNTOWN SPLASHTOWN USA CONSTRUCTING DUAL SEVEN-STORY RAFT SLIDES;

LARGEST PROJECT IN 40-SEASON HISTORY

Saco, Maine - It’s no longer surprising that Funtown Splashtown USA announces new thrill rides. But now in the middle of its 40th season, CEO Kenneth Cormier stated, “A new Splashtown USA will emerge. 2007 will be an historic year as we double the area of the current water park.”

Cormier added, “Two new super slides will be built. Both of these enormous slides require mechanical lifts to raise the four-person rafts to the loading platform, nearly seven stories above the landing pool below. One slide has a wide-flume profile with many twists and turns, going from a tunnel to a half-pipe slide before hitting the splashdown pool. The other slide will feature a tornado-shaped flume with back-to-back vertical banks. Riders will escape through the needle-nose Tornado Funnel corridor into more turns and drops to the splashdown pool. This project also enlarges our seating and lounge area by over 50 percent.”

“This expansion coincides with a multiple-phase expansion of the waterpark which will take place over the next few years,” added Cormier. “This is just the beginning of what is to come.”

Water Technologies Inc. of Beaver Dam Wisconsin is doing the design-work on the waterpark expansion and ProSlide Technology Inc. of Ottawa Ontario Canada is the manufacturer of the slide attractions.

Below are examples of the attractions that will be installed at Funtown Splashtown USA. Images provided by ProSlide Technology Inc.

slide2.jpg.3ead1975c59adba97c9ae5a4fee7561e.jpg

slide1.jpg.0dee78f288cf535d3bd3d734a9b8b367.jpg

Edited by larrygator

Well they have had an addition to the park in 3 years and that was the water play area.

I'm not thrilled with this info they don't have much room and I rather see 2 speed slides then a tornado slide. with no additions to the park in 5 years I just think there waisting there money on a tornado slide. Bulky and I find them no better then the Half pipe slides.

Rob - were did you find this?

I go to this park a lot, but I haven't been since Dragon's Descent (S&S tower) opened. All I can say is that they definately needed some help with their tiny waterpark and this looks like it will do nicely.

Let them rake in some waterpark profits for a lil while and we'll see what they come up with in the park side in the near future.

I think the funnel will be a good addition. Besides, they state that there's somewhat of a layout after the funnel itself, which is one of the things I felt those slides were lacking in...

I think the funnel will be a good addition. Besides, they state that there's somewhat of a layout after the funnel itself, which is one of the things I felt those slides were lacking in...

True but the more you add to the slide the lower the capacity is going to be.

ECZenith:

Let them rake in some waterpark profits for a lil while and we'll see what they come up with in the park side in the near future.

The park has put more into the water park in the last 6 years then they have the dry park. in 2003 they added a water play area, a new entrance, changing rooms, Gift show, and a food stand.

So they have added things to rank in on the water park profits. in tern the only thing added to the dry park was real shows.

I haven't been to the park in 3 years. This isn't going to get me to come back.

Jeez... while Funtown isn't the biggest park and doesn't have the best selection of modern rides, I certainly wouldn't call them "ghetto".

Excalibur and Dragon's Descent were really the only major additions for a while, but I found the park to be clean, the employees weren't too bad and ALL of the rides were running on my last visit. At least the locals will appreciate it...

The new water rides will help Funtown compete with the waterpark down the road.

I don't find Funtown ghetto (besides maybe Galaxi), but even Cedar Point has a similar ride.

Do you know much about the water park down the street? yes it will help them compete but if you were planning on going to a water park were would you go? you have AquaBoggon which is still bigger even with this addition. Then you have funtown. If you live south Water Country Might be closer and is larger then SFNE Hurricane harbor.

Funtown's a nice park. I went there this year (also hoping to get to the other two credits at Old Orchard Beach, but they weren't open). Funtown might be ghetto compared to SFNE, but it's a nice small family park. It could use a little landscaping in parts (and removal of what looked like an old go-kart track), but it's a nice park. And Excalibur rode like Legend Jr.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Wild Mouse to replace Galaxi

Saco, Maine - As autumn gives way to winter, a bright summer is in view at Funtown Splashtown USA. "Funtown USA will have a new roller coaster to thrill guests when we open in May," said Ken Cormier, park CEO.

Cormier added, "For parks to remain competitive in this regional market, improvements to your lineup need to be made. This new coaster shows our commitment to add new attractions to the Funtown USA Ride Park after doing two major expansions to the Splashtown USA Water Park."

The Wild Mouse will take guests on a circuitous trip with hairpin turns (including a crazy 270-degree turn) and steep hills and dips. "The whole family will be able to enjoy this new addition to the park," said marketing manager Ed Hodgdon. "This also will be the only Wild Mouse roller coaster in New England, a true distinction for the park."

The Wild Mouse coaster will replace the Galaxi roller coaster, which has been at the park for 30 years. The Wild Mouse coaster was designed and manufactured by Maurer Söhne of Munich, Germany. At over 50 feet tall and with 1200 feet long of track, guests will have a much more exciting experience.

The park is currently running its annual season pass holiday sale, with up to $10 off individual passes when you purchase before December 31. "With families in Maine looking for the greatest value, where else but Funtown Splashtown USA can you have fun for less than $1.00 a day?" said Hodgdon.

Edited by larrygator

• 1 year later...

Funtown Splashtown USA has sent us a press release about their record breaking weekend and some upcoming discounts for the park.

Funtown Splashtown USA's 44th season started with a bang this weekend, breaking records all over the park. "If this weekend is any indication of how the summer is going to be, we will be in great shape" beamed Ken Cormier, park founder and CEO. "In the 50 years I have been in business, I have never seen a busier opening weekend".

Thousands of people descended upon the park for the Mother's Day celebration on Sunday. Saturday the park hosted over 600 music students from around Southern Maine for its annual Funtown Music Festival.

"If there was a record, we shattered it this weekend," continued Cormier. "This just helps keep the notion alive that the overall economy is improving."

The rides will be open again this weekend with 'Roll Back Rates', the same rates that were charged back in 1999. The park will be open on Thursday May 20 and Friday May 21 for Physics Day. The park is on track to break the record for number of participating schools and total number of participating students.

Sunday May 23 is Take 25 Day, which the park does in conjunction with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The park will be handing out Child ID kits and safety tips developed by the NCMEC to keep families safer.

For more information on these and other upcoming events, go to http://www.funtownsplashtownusa.com and click on the 'Special Events' link.