Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags Great Adventure- El Toro Marathon + Few B&Ms
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Taylor Finn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:40 am

Living vicariously through your TR. A year without Knoebels is a sad year for me. But, I'll have my site for PPP moved to next year, at least. Missing the food!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 am

I still need to visit PPP one of these years!
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hersheypark & Six Flags Great Adventure

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CenturyFlyer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 am

Can't you still get pierogis at the Round Stand in front of the Haunted Mansion?
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby JG-77 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:41 am

Yes, but they're not the same as the roast beef stand pierogis, the ones everyone raves about.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Zand » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:47 am

CenturyFlyer wrote:Can't you still get pierogis at the Round Stand in front of the Haunted Mansion?

I think some of the food stands are hit or miss this year. I was there a couple weeks ago on a Thursday and the "good pierogi stabd" at the Oasis was open. But I see a lot of reports saying it's been closed a lot. The Round Stand was also open when I was there but stuff like Satellite was closed (which was open other days). Luck of the draw I guess.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:36 am

^ The days when the Roast Beef Stand were closed was when the park had extremely limited hours from 12-6, so I'm not surprised things were closed. I just wish that stand wasn't one of them!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Hersheypark

2020 marked the opening of Chocolatetown, Hersheypark's $150 million expansion that included several new shops, restaurants, Candymonium, and a brand new entrance.

The latter has been a bit controversial. The old entrance was definitely more charming. However, I much prefer the new entrance. While it lacks charm, it has a grandness to it. The old entrance felt like I was visiting a European village. The new entrance feels like I'm visiting a major thrill park, which is what Hersheypark has become. I love the kinetic energy of the Hershey Kisses fountain and Candymonium.

But most importantly, the new entrance is far more efficient. The old entrance was cramped while the new entrance was much more spread out, which was definitely a good thing when visiting in 2020. The only downside to Chocolatetown is that you now have to exit Hersheypark through a gift shop. So while the entrance chokepoint was fixed, there's now an exit chokepoint.

Chocolatetown.JPG
Charming? No. Efficient and grand? Oh yes!

Carousel.JPG
In general, Chocolatetown has a cohesive architecture. The exception is the relocated Carousel that feels a bit out-of-place.

Candymonium Helix (Side).JPG

Candymonium Bunny Hill (Far).JPG
The reveal of the fountain and Candymonium is a wow moment.

Let's talk about Candymonium. If you love B&M hypers, you'll love Candymonium. So it's no surprise I really enjoyed this coaster. It's probably my favorite B&M hyper in the United States. It has a first half that's just a hair worse than Mako, but unlike Mako that sort of stumbles to the finish line, Candymonium delivers airtime until you hit the brake run.

And unlike Skyrush that delivers some of the craziest ejector airtime in the world, Candymonium delivers copious amount of strong floater airtime. The highlights are the 2nd hill (every bit as good as the 2nd hill on Mako), the speed hill, and the sideways airtime hill coming off the helix. I'm glad B&M is now mixing in off-axis hills like RMC!

There are two trims on Candymonium, but they didn't hurt the ride experience for me. Yes you feel them; however, the airtime on the subsequent hills is still very sustained floater airtime so I don't mind them. But I could see them being a buzzkill if the tangible loss of speed really bothers you.

Candymonium is exactly the coaster Hersheypark wanted. While it may be odd to have two hypers in one park, this is a much different experience than Skyrush. It's a super reridable, glass smooth, floater airtime machine. This will likely be the favorite for non-enthusiasts. For me, it's a great compliment to Skyrush. 9.25 out of 10

Candymonium Bunny Hill (Side).JPG
Candymonium is an awkward name, but when the coaster is this good, who cares?

Candymonium Drop (Front).JPG
Going down.

Candymonium 2nd Hill (Side).JPG
This hill delivered 4-5 seconds of sustained floater airtime. It was glorious.

Candymonium Speed Hill.JPG
B&M should make a coaster of all speed hills. This gives the strongest airtime on the ride.

Candymonium Outward Drop.JPG
B&M should also have more off-axis hills. The airtime isn't as abrupt as an off-axis hill on a RMC, but it is more sustained.

Candymonium Bunny Hill (Front 2).JPG
There are trims, but the airtime was still good so I didn't mind.

Candymonium Bunny Hill (Sunset).JPG
Such a pretty sky.

Candymonium Overview (Sunset 2).JPG
I can't wait until the landscaping is added.

Since Hersheypark opened an hour early to resort guests (which I wasn't on my first visit) and season pass holders (which I am not), I used that hour to get some shots of Candymonium, Skyrush, and Comet from outside the park. Park Boulevard gives some amazing views of these coasters!

Skyrush Overview.JPG

Candymonium Overview (Front 1).JPG
You can't get shots like this within Hersheypark. And there will be more to come!

The star for me is still Skyrush. I know this ride is probably more intense than Hersheypark intended, but it's a coaster enthusiast's dream. This is one of the few coasters that still genuinely scares me before every ride. Skyrush is that intense.

The first drop is violent. It feels like a car crash, but I mean that in the best way possible. While the restraints are certainly tight, the minimal contact makes the insane ejector airtime feel even wilder. Skyrush feels like it will sever your legs from your body on every single camelback. And on the stengel dives, it feels like you'll be flipped into the creek. Skyrush is exhilerating and one of the best coasters in the world. 10 out of 10

Skyrush Drop (Front 1).JPG
The way Skyrush dwarfs Comet makes it look even more intimidating.

Skyrush Cresting (Front 2).JPG
Let the ejector airtime commence!

Skyrush 2nd Hill (Side).JPG
Skyrush is a sustained ejector airtime machine.

Skyrush 3rd Hill (Side).JPG
You don't realize how good this headchopper is during the ride since you're hauling through the course.

Skyrush Stengel Dive.JPG
Now this is what I call an overbank.

Great Bear was temperamental in my visits this year, so I didn't get as many rides as I'd like. But it was running like a dream when it was open. Great Bear is still impeccably smooth, the funky helix start is absolutely leg-numbing, and the inversions pull some strong Gs. I especially love the wild snap on the zero-G roll and corkscrew. And I never noticed the floater airtime on the drop after the zero-G roll, but it was a nice touch. 8 out of 10

Great Bear Drop (Close).JPG
Sorry Great Bear, you are no longer my favorite coaster themed to a constellation. That honor goes to Orion.

Great Bear Loop.JPG
But Great Bear is still a very good invert.

Hersheypark has a sizable wood coaster collection and my favorite one is still the Comet. In the back row, this coaster has some really nice airtime in the first half on the major drops. That's the magic of buzz bars. This is also among the smoothest wood coasters out there. It's hard to believe this coaster is 70+ years old with how smooth it is. 7 out of 10

Comet Drop (Side).JPG
It's funny to think this was once the biggest ride in the park. Now, it's a speck below Skyrush.

Comet Turnaround (Close).JPG
In the back, Comet is my favorite wood coaster at Hershey. In the front, it's boring and my least favorite.

The two GCIs are in the back of the park. Wildcat has better airtime, but it comes at a cost since the ride is very bumpy. 5 out of 10 Lightning Racer may be the tamest GCI, but the racing element makes it enjoyable. 6 out of 10

Wildcat Low Turn 2.jpg
The highlight of Wildcat is the barking dog noise the brake run makes.

Lightning Racer (Far).JPG
Lightning Racer is another coaster that is better to photograph from outside the park, but I didn't quite want to walk all the way down the hill.

I also rode LaffTrakk again since the early entry allowed me to beat crowds to the back of the park. LaffTrakk is a decent indoor spinner, but it's not worth the obnoxious wait it gets. It's similar to Crush's Coaster at Walt Disney Studios in terms of how hard it is to ride with a reasonable wait and it also happens to be the same model. 5 out of 10

Laff Trakk Exterior.JPG
This ride's queue is no laughing matter.

Fahrenheit had the worst wait of all the coasters. And interestingly, they were running it with no changes from most years. Every seat was in use. And they were triple stacking trains without fail.

But I deal with this coaster's poor throughput because it's a very enjoyable ride. It feels like a Gerstlauer EuroFighter mixed with an old-school B&M looper. The beyond vertical drop and bunny hill give some excellent ejector airtime and the inversions are quite snappy. 8.5 out of 10

Fahrenheit Drop (Far 2).JPG
Such a weird coaster from Intamin, but I really like it!

Fahrenheit Corkscrew (Far).JPG
I'm so glad Hershey repainted Fahrenheit last year.

I also spotted a wild enthusiast on Cocoa Crusier. I chose to point and laugh instead of joining him. :lol:

Cocoa Cruiser Matt 2.JPG
No shame!

The worst line in the entire park was actually for the dark ride, Reese's Cupfusion. This ride has a dismal throughput. For that reason, I made it my last stop on all my visits. Unlike LaffTrakk, which is passable for me, Cupfusion is a must. It's a really good dark ride that's a hybrid of Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania. 9 out of 10

Reese's Cupfusion Queue.JPG
After waiting 2 hours for this last year, I've learned to hit this last.

Hersheypark may also be home to the largest sweets/snacks of any theme park. Since I dislike sugar, I didn't purchase any of these gluttonous glories, but I still gawked at their sheer size.

Simply Chocolate Shakes.JPG
I wish Hershey listed calorie counts. I'm morbidly curious.

Giant Donuts 2.jpg
Those donuts were the size of personal pizzas.

5lb Hershey Bar.jpg
A candy bar as heavy as my girlfriend's kitten. That's insane.

In general, 2020 seemed like a good year to visit Hershey. Crowds were manageable and the operations were similar to past years. The one downside was that Storm Runner was closed for the year.

Storm Runner Closed.JPG
I'll be back next year!

Unfortunately, Hershey closed before sundown, but while I was waiting for my Primanti's sandwich downtown, I was able to admire the skyline one last time before departing town.

Skyrush Sunset 2.JPG

Hypers Sunset.JPG
A skyline with two hypers is an enthusiast's dream.

Candymonium Sunset.JPG
Golden hour.

In my second visit to Hersheypark, I decided to splurge on one of their resort hotels. The extra hour tacked onto the preview plan and the hour of morning ERT was nice. And the indoor water park seemed to be a big hit among kids and families. But I probably wouldn't stay there again because of how pricey it was and two specific issues:

1) The noise. Either the walls were paper thin or the family next to me was obnoxiously loud. We called security, but it did nothing to stop the noise. It sounded like there were at least 7-8 people in the room next to us.

2) Every single toiletry item smelled like chocolate. I can't say I wanted my hands, hair, and body to smell like chocolate. And the front desk had no cocoa free toiletries in case you're wondering. :lol:

Twizzlers Twists 2.JPG
Hershey's Waterworks had two water slides. You can probably guess what candy they were themed to.

Chocolate Shampoo.jpg
This is not what I want to wash myself with.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby gardyloo! » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 am

Another amazing TR and as always, a great read. I had plans to visit hersheypark this summer but, you know, corona...
Skyrush has been near the top of my bucketlist for so long and I'm so curious to know whether I'll love it. I really liked Flying Aces and while normally, restraints that tighten during the ride hamper my experience, I didn't really mind them on FA. I loved the insane positive G's and the laterals but found the airtime to be quite lacking. Also, was kinda dissapointed with the first drop, so wondering if Skyrush's drop is any better since they look basically the same.

Herhseypark probably has the best top 5 of any park (besides Cedar Point) in the world, but often heard their operations are quite meh. I guess I'll have to wait (another couple of) year(s) to find out. Can't wait to read your next TR. Keep 'm coming!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 am

Thanks!

I actually really liked the drop on Flying Aces, but the one on Skyrush has a kink halfway down. You get strong ejector airtime cresting the drop and then get pushed even further out of your seat halfway down.

The restraints on Skyrush look similar, but the underside is profiled differently. The ones on Flying Aces are contoured a bit on the bottom while the ones on Skyrush are a flat bar that comes across your thighs.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby gardyloo! » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:52 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks!

I actually really liked the drop on Flying Aces, but the one on Skyrush has a kink halfway down. You get strong ejector airtime cresting the drop and then get pushed even further out of your seat halfway down.

The restraints on Skyrush look similar, but the underside is profiled differently. The ones on Flying Aces are contoured a bit on the bottom while the ones on Skyrush are a flat bar that comes across your thighs.

Oh I though Flying Aces drop gave amazing floater, just not the ejector I was hoping for.

Ah I see how Skyrush's restraint are found to be more uncomfortable. Looks like Intamin however, has fixed that problem with their latest train design. Although, I still prefer the old school T-bar. :p

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!