Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Waldameer- Ravine Flyer II and Braserie, Dearie?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby RCjunkie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:35 am

Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. If you could guarantee me four rides on Steel Vengeance without Fast Pass on a weekend I would have went. Good to see you had some fortune and things went your way for line queues.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Zand » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:50 am

To be honest, Cedar Point kinda sounded miserable and I'm glad I skipped that trip this year. I understand Steel Vengeance and Maverick having long lines but just can't imagine being there with rides like the Mine Train and Magnum having a 1+ hr line.

Based on the TRs I've read from a lot of places, I feel like I hit a home run with hitting Hershey and Knoebels.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:00 am

In their defense, CP was much more tolerable earlier in the year on weekdays. I had a much more enjoyable time at CP during my two trips this summer (Mon-Wed in July and Sun-Tues in August) than I did at Hershey on a Tuesday in August.

Honestly going now should be looked at like going during a normal October Saturday - things are going to be painful.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 152
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Intimidator 305, Skyrush, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Twister (Knoebels), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Postby Zand » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:00 am

Mike240SX wrote:In their defense, CP was much more tolerable earlier in the year on weekdays. I had a much more enjoyable time at CP during my two trips this summer (Mon-Wed in July and Sun-Tues in August) than I did at Hershey on a Tuesday in August.

Honestly going now should be looked at like going during a normal October Saturday - things are going to be painful.

You were at Hershey the same day I was (I also went back the next day) and I thought it went really well. Candymonium got the Epcot effect early and late but had no line midday. Never waited more than 15-20 minutes for anything else (didn't bother with Laff Trakk or Cupfusion though) and never had to deal with fastpasses or return lines or any of that craziness. I mean why wait 30 minutes for a return pass to wait 90 minutes for Steel Vengeance when you can wait 5 minutes for Skyrush? :lol:

Glad you got to CP on some good days though. If I thought I had a chance at a good day I'd go but based on this TR plus the many TRs recently in the CP thread it sounds like absolute hell. Gonna try GADV in October and that will probably totally suck too, but its a much shorter trip and I go there enough anyway.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am

I guess we just have different tolerances for things. I had FTU at Hershey and didn't wait more than 10-15 minutes for any ride that I can recall (except the Lazy River LOL), but I definitely bypassed some 30-60 minute waits for Great Bear and Fahrenheit, and much fewer people were respecting social distancing markers than at CP. It seemed like there were a lot more people at Hershey than at CP overall. And their waterpark was a disaster, which probably soured me on the day to be honest.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 152
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Intimidator 305, Skyrush, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Twister (Knoebels), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Postby Zand » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:19 am

Mike240SX wrote:I guess we just have different tolerances for things. I had FTU at Hershey and didn't wait more than 10-15 minutes for any ride that I can recall (except the Lazy River LOL), but I definitely bypassed some 30-60 minute waits for Great Bear and Fahrenheit, and much fewer people were respecting social distancing markers than at CP. It seemed like there were a lot more people at Hershey than at CP overall. And their waterpark was a disaster, which probably soured me on the day to be honest.

I think the waterpark was the difference for us. Couldn't have paid me to go in there. But yes that was the one negative is that social distancing was almost non-existent. Like I've said, the signs on the ground marking 6 feet of distance may as well have said "15 guests between each sign" because that's what was happening and no one enforced it at all.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:24 am

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Great report! You got far luckier than I did when I went last weekend with the access passes. We didn't stay on-site (we rented a house on Airbnb that was about 3/4 of a mile from the causeway), so we had to run with the masses to get the access passes and by the time we got to Steel Vengeance, they had already shut the queue to standby.

The access pass lines for Steel Vengeance are insane and it was exactly the same when I was there, all the way back to Gemini. A ride op at Millennium Force told us that Steel Vengeance has the least number of access passes available of any of the coasters. Seeing as we got the very last 3 access passes for Maverick for the 3pm-4pm return time slot with less than 1/3 as many people in line there, I don't see how people toward the back of the line got any.

Maverick was the same when we were there, it was pretty much constantly a posted 2-hour line and was backed up right to or just outside the entrance. Oddly, Millennium Force only once had a line in the first set of switchbacks when we were there, and countless other times when we walked by it was only halfway up the ramp. It's posted wait time never went beyond 30 minutes.

One thing I'll give the park credit for is the fact that Top Thrill Dragster was up and running almost 100% of the time while we were there and only went down for wind and rain. I've never, ever had a visit to Cedar Point with it running so consistently and it was the only thing we got 3 rides on over the course of the weekend.

Thanks! I specifically visited on a Friday over a Saturday hoping it would help with access passes and it seems like it did.

grsupercity wrote:Nice report. Sounds like you got lucky and got to get some good rides in!

Thanks! My goal was at least one ride on each of my favorites so the bonus Steel Vengeance rides were gravy.

RCjunkie wrote:Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. If you could guarantee me four rides on Steel Vengeance without Fast Pass on a weekend I would have went. Good to see you had some fortune and things went your way for line queues.

Thanks! Based on the expectations I entered with, I was content with the rides I experienced.

Zand wrote:To be honest, Cedar Point kinda sounded miserable and I'm glad I skipped that trip this year. I understand Steel Vengeance and Maverick having long lines but just can't imagine being there with rides like the Mine Train and Magnum having a 1+ hr line.

Based on the TRs I've read from a lot of places, I feel like I hit a home run with hitting Hershey and Knoebels.

As i mentioned, Cedar Point is probably not the place for a first timer in 2020, but it's not bad if you're content with one lap on your favorites as part of another trip.

Mike240SX wrote:In their defense, CP was much more tolerable earlier in the year on weekdays. I had a much more enjoyable time at CP during my two trips this summer (Mon-Wed in July and Sun-Tues in August) than I did at Hershey on a Tuesday in August.

The original plan was to visit on a Wednesday and Thursday until Cedar Point changed their hours. So Friday was picked as the lesser of evils.

Zand wrote:

You were at Hershey the same day I was (I also went back the next day) and I thought it went really well. Candymonium got the Epcot effect early and late but had no line midday. Never waited more than 15-20 minutes for anything else (didn't bother with Laff Trakk or Cupfusion though) and never had to deal with fastpasses or return lines or any of that craziness. I mean why wait 30 minutes for a return pass to wait 90 minutes for Steel Vengeance when you can wait 5 minutes for Skyrush? :lol:

Glad you got to CP on some good days though. If I thought I had a chance at a good day I'd go but based on this TR plus the many TRs recently in the CP thread it sounds like absolute hell. Gonna try GADV in October and that will probably totally suck too, but its a much shorter trip and I go there enough anyway.

At least Great Adventure offers Flash Pass if you want to avoid the queues. One of the worst parts about Cedar Point this year is that there is zero way to avoid the queues unless you pre-bought Fast Lane.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure & Waldameer

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CenturyFlyer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:08 pm

My experience with waits on an August weekday:

Maverick was 30 minutes.
Millennium Force was a walk-on.
TTD was 20 minutes.
Steel Vengeance was an hour at most.
Non-access pass coasters were all 15-25 minutes.

I guess that I just lucked out... anyhow, thanks for the report! I'm glad that you still had a fun time given the circumstances.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:25 pm

^ Interesting that Steel Vengeance's wait was the worst for you when it was the fastest for me. Guess it just shows how random it is!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 pm

Knoebels

I was a bit nervous to visit Knoebels in 2020. One of the best aspects of this park has always been their lightning fast operations and I feared those would suffer significantly. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

The cleaning policies were fairly inconsistent ride-to-ride. Some flats like the StratosFear drop tower seemed to wipe seats down between every cycle. Others like the Skooters were periodically shut down for cleaning. Others like the Phoenix and Twister did not go down as far as I could tell.

The park was skipping rows between parties on Twister and Phoenix, and unfortunately you could not wait for or request a specific row, but the park was still dispatching these rides in less than 30 seconds.

Park Sign.JPG
Still one of the best parks in the world for how unique it is.

Knoebels was very forthcoming on their website which rides would be closed in advance of my visits. This included several flats plus two of their coasters. Impulse was awaiting a new train and I did see it testing on my third visit. And Flying Turns was in the midst of retracking the end of the ride.

Italian Trapeze Rehab.JPG
Italian Trapeze was closed, but that seems to be the norm in past years too.

Flying Turns Entrance.JPG
KSA sounds more pleasant than TSA.

Flying Turns Retracking.JPG
Flying Turns wasn't the least bit rough, but in typical Knoebels fashion they pre-emptively started retracking it anyway.

Impulse Inline Twist.jpg
I missed Impulse by a week, but I have ridden it in past visits. It's a fun ride, but I far prefer the park's woodies.

Kozmo's Kurves Helix.JPG
Kozmo's Kurves was open for all those kiddie coaster fans out there.

Most of my visits were spent riding Phoenix. This is still one of my favorite coasters anywhere. The restraints (or lack thereof) completely make the experience. There's something magical having no seatbelt and being launched into the buzz bars. The airtime on the finale looks cartoonish as you see basically everyone on the train being forced to stand up from the strength of the airtime.

The first three hills don't do too much if you aren't in the front or back car, but the airtime is truly world-class from the 4th hill onwards. And it's extremely reridable because of how crazy the airtime is and how smooth the coaster rides. And for 2020, Phoenix got some pluses in a brand new station and an extended queue line. 10 out of 10

Phoenix Cresting (Front).JPG
I love the new station!

Phoenix Queue.JPG
And with the extended queue, the line spilling out onto the midway should be a thing of the past.

Phoenix Drop (Front).jpg
If you want the best pictures of Phoenix, I strongly recommend the Gasoline Alley antique cars.

Phoenix Double Down 2.jpg
And if there's no one behind you, they let you stop on the track to wait for Phoenix.

Phoenix Final Hill.JPG
Just look at that airtime!

Twister is the perfect compliment to Phoenix. Twister has a few airtime pops, particularly on the first turnaround and finale, but the coaster really is about the laterals. And Twister delivers those in droves. And the ride is running as smooth as ever this year, which is a testament to how well Knoebels maintains this woodie. Twister has a GCI-like layout with the PTC trains and we saw how well the early GCIs aged that ran the PTCs. 8 out of 10

Twister Drop.JPG
You can get some excellent angles of Twister from the campground.

Twister Turn 1.JPG
I prefer airtime, but I still love Twister for how well it does laterals.

Twister Tunnel.jpg
Take the tunnel!

One of the biggest changes for me in 2020 was only riding the Flyer once or twice per visit, as I've stopped snapping them to respect the park's tightened stance against snapping. In my first visit, I noticed the ride operator chiding anyone who snapped. And on my second visit, a fellow enthusiast working Phoenix warned me the park's official stance is that snapping is not allowed.

I have fond memories hurtling uncontrollably towards the trees and scaring onlookers, but even when I use all my willpower to resist snapping, these are still some of the best flying skooters out there because of the long cycle and the fast speed they're operated. 9 out of 10

Flyer End_Moment.jpg
Even off-duty operators at Knoebels enjoy watching the aerobatics display on the Flyer.

But I could go all-out on the Skooter bumper cars though. I think I slightly prefer the ones at Coney Island for the dance club atmosphere and overpowered employee car, but the ones at Knoebels are undoubtedly the hardest hitting bumper cars I've ever experienced. And the locals take no mercy on this ride. 10 out of 10

Skooter 2_Moment.jpg
After working from home a lot over the past few months, it felt nice to get behind the wheel again.

I was unsure if Knoebels would have the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings going on the Grand Carousel, but the ride still had its signature feature. One plus for 2020 was that there is now a separate queue for the outside horses, which I hope they keep for future years since it was nice not getting into a mad dash for the outside horses. 10 out of 10

Grand Carousel Ring 2.JPG
The ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings were as plentiful as the hand sanitizer stands around the park.

I also made sure to ride the Scenic Skyway a few times. While I lost the Compounce Mountain Sky Ride at one of my home parks, Knoebels offers a very similar sky ride that also travels up a heavily wooded mountain. And the views of the park coming back down are spectacular.

Scenic Skyway View.JPG
If only more parks had sky rides up a mountain.

Twister (Aerial).JPG
The proper sequel to Mr. Twister.

Phoenix Aerial (Close).JPG

The Giant Flume was like playing Russian Roulette. In my first visit, I got drenched. Since Fascination opened late, I think the locals decided to drop their coins on the geysers at the Flume. I got hit by three geysers. On my second visit, I came off bone dry. But in general, this is one of the best traditional flumes thanks to its wooded setting and nice drops. 9 out of 10

Giant Flume Geysers.jpg
The geyser of doom.

There were also several other flats I rode in the course of my visits. One of my favorites is Power Surge because the one at Knoebels is one of the few I've seen that still has a rotating base. I also enjoy how Satellite since it's the only roll-o-plane I've ridden that spins horizontally, offering some crazy laterals.

Power Surge.JPG
While I prefer Chance Zippers, it's nice not having to find a partner to ride this.

Satellite Sideways.jpg
This section of Satellite is wild. If you ride alone, you're tossed side to side like a ragdoll.

Cosmotron.JPG
The Northeast has a ton of indoor scramblers, so Knoebels does something different by putting a himalaya indoors.

It also wouldn't be a Knoebels visit without awesome fair food. I was only able to have the legendary Roast Beef Stand pierogies once since it was closed on my later visits, but I was able to have Cesari's pizza in every visit. And I finally tried deep fried alligator, which tasted sort of like chicken nuggets with a bit of a spicy kick.

Alligator Bites.jpg
Glad I tried them, but I'll probably stick to pierogis and pizza.

2020 may be the first year I visited Knoebels more than Six Flags New England. The circumstances why that happened are less than ideal, but I definitely consider myself lucky to have Knoebels within driving distance. I love this park...

1001 Nacht Base.JPG
But not as much as someone loves this ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!