TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

I didn't know where to post this but with the report of both Hong Kong and Shanghai parks being closed for at least 2 months, I'm curious if Disney will do anything domestically to offset the loss of operating income from the international parks? I don't really know what they would do but losing 2 months of cash flow from two resorts has to be concerning. Maybe they ramp up marketing and offer some kind of a special ticket packages or promotions? Maybe an new after hours event or something? If they launched some kind of after hours Star Wars event at the Studios you know it would sell out in a heart beat.

I really don't know if they would actively try to recoup that projected loss but it will be interesting to follow.

I'm sure they have a plan in place for this kind of thing I'm just curious if the affects of the plan will be noticeable to people outside of the executive levels of the company. It's not like they're gonna make an announcement "Hey since Hong Kong is closed for 3 months we're going to be offering a new line of limited merch to recoup the loss!", but it will be interesting to see if they do something different or out of the ordinary operationally over the next couple of months.

$175 Million is actually less the 1% (about 6 thousandths) of Disney WW Theme Park revenue from 2019. Only about 3 thousandths and total company annual revenue from 2019. A one week closure of WDW would be much more damaging.

Disney probably has to flexibility to shift segment goals to make up for deficiencies in other segments especially with this much lead time. For example, a 1% increase in advertising rates could make up $200 million. Disney still has the clout to set the US TV advertising market rates.

I would expect minor changes to the US park budgets as the Chinese parks will have 8 months to more heavily promote their properties if parks are back online by May.

Also a large corporation like Disney, could easily offset this small of a % revenue loss via various corporate accounting practices.

^I assume we'll see cuts at the US parks that consumers will notice and probably more so employees. I'm sure there are high ups in panic mode right now trying to figure out how to recoup some of this money.

Other fan forums are already speculating of the entertainment-cut-a-pocalypse in a similar vein to what was going on while Shanghai Disneyland was being built.

$175 Million is actually less the 1% (about 6 thousandths) of Disney WW Theme Park revenue from 2019. Only about 3 thousandths and total company annual revenue from 2019. A one week closure of WDW would be much more damaging.

Disney probably has to flexibility to shift segment goals to make up for deficiencies in other segments especially with this much lead time. For example, a 1% increase in advertising rates could make up $200 million. Disney still has the clout to set the US TV advertising market rates.

I would expect minor changes to the US park budgets as the Chinese parks will have 8 months to more heavily promote their properties if parks are back online by May.

Also a large corporation like Disney, could easily offset this small of a % revenue loss via various corporate accounting practices.

That's a good point, I kind of forgot about the ownership split with the Chinese parks and just how much smaller those resorts are compared to WDW. Still an interesting development to follow.

^I assume we'll see cuts at the US parks that consumers will notice and probably more so employees. I'm sure there are high ups in panic mode right now trying to figure out how to recoup some of this money.

Other fan forums are already speculating of the entertainment-cut-a-pocalypse in a similar vein to what was going on while Shanghai Disneyland was being built.

Yeah I read about the star wars stage show at Studios ending sometime in February but I kind of assumed that would happen at some point after Galaxy's Edge was fully operational anyways.

Yeah I read about the star wars stage show at Studios ending sometime in February but I kind of assumed that would happen at some point after Galaxy's Edge was fully operational anyways.

At the risk of turning this into the Hollywood Studios thread, I'd bet that the reason THAT show existed in the first place was to draw attention away from the then-dormant Chinese Theater while Runaway Railway was being worked on. Now that the theater is supposed to be an icon again, the show has served its purpose. I'm pretty sure that timetable has been on the books from the beginning.

I'm sure they have a plan in place for this kind of thing I'm just curious if the affects of the plan will be noticeable to people outside of the executive levels of the company. It's not like they're gonna make an announcement "Hey since Hong Kong is closed for 3 months we're going to be offering a new line of limited merch to recoup the loss!", but it will be interesting to see if they do something different or out of the ordinary operationally over the next couple of months.

A few more after hour special events and marathons should do the trick...

I agree with Larry. They will use creative accounting and other business units to offset this. I would imagine there is also insurance policies that might cover this sort of thing for them as well.

• 2 months later...

@HKDL_of_Fantasy just posted a fly over video of the park with shots of the construction areas for The Castle, Marvel, and Arendelle:Land of Frozen. Here's a still from the video, above the Arendelle construction.

And a link to the video. https://t.co/79aQ43eVXB?amp=1 Thank you HKDL_of_Fantasy!

Frozen16.png.87df00a13ed9c222133c50bac1d2a9fd.png

"Frozen Ever After" flume ride at the top. "Sliding Sleighs" Coaster at the bottom of the photo.

And it looks there will be another entry (the main entry?) beside the train station (pink roof),

under the tracks, to it. The other two entrys are from Toy Story Land and Small World Plaza.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@HKDL_of_Fantasy (thank you!) posted more photos recently, including two showing the new coaster track arriving, for Wandering Oaken's Sliding Sleighs. And an overhead shot of the Arendelle:Land of Frozen construction going on.

And HK_Main_Street_Gazette (thank you also!) got this awesome shot of the expanded castle, with Mystic Manor in the distance.

Frozen18.jpg.b25cde2be1de3e3a63c50f38a9d59dd2.jpg

Frozen19.jpg.5e8a1ce30c2595132e5acaf20bac4c50.jpg

Frozen20.thumb.png.9d3ce9ac77abe0daead67ebf8c74e95b.png

Castle28.jpg.8f8290e630ef5d9232997ad017995b74.jpg

Just because I'm asking, but...

An online news service (called "Deadline") put up a recent article about HKDL's

(and Ocean Park) upcoming reopening. And along with it, they posted a photo, the one below.

Um... didn't all Disney parks around the world, ban selfie sticks? I'm asking because I really don't think

this is the best way to show any park, especially if they too, have banned the sticks. Regardless of it being

used outside of the park, itself. They just shouldn't have posted it. IMhO.

SelfieStick.png.51388138dd233ff5865d5c75542af288.png

Outside the park, sure. But, I think it sends the wrong message to park goers who do have these things.

Hong Kong Disneyland is reopening on 18 June after being closed since January. All the usual measures will be in place including requirement of online reservation, masks/face coverings and temperature checks at entry. Along with social distancing measures and additional cleaning guests also have to fill in a health declaration prior to visiting.

• 4 weeks later...
The Hong Kong government is tightening disease control measures from Wednesday following recent spike in local transmissions.

Public gatherings of more than four people will be forbidden, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Monday. The limit had previously been 50.

All restaurants will only be able to serve takeaway orders from 6pm to 5am. Outside of these hours, there will be a maximum of four people per table.

The new rules also see masks being made mandatory for all passengers on public transport.

Some establishments, such as gyms and gaming centres, will have to shut down for a week.

Flexible working arrangement will be implemented for civil servants, while the government also urges companies to allow employees to work from home.

Also, 400,000 people belonging to high-risk groups, including workers at elderly homes, taxi drivers and estate management workers, will be given priority to get tested for free.

It comes after Hong Kong recorded 52 new cases of coronavirus on Monday, including 41 that were locally transmitted, health authorities said.

Hong Kong has reported 1,522 cases since late January. Local media reported an eighth death on Monday.

Source

Haven't seen anything on the official site (it still shows reservations for this week as available) but apparently, Hong Kong Disneyland and presumably Ocean Park too will close again. Can anyone confirm this?

As required by the government and health authorities in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, Hong Kong Disneyland Park will temporarily close from July 15, 2020.

The resort hotels will remain open with adjusted level of services. Enhanced health and safety measures that reflect the guidance of health and government authorities have been put in place, such as social distancing measures and increased cleaning and sanitization.

We are in contact with health authorities and the government about the situation.

Please click HERE for more information on ticket, Magic Access membership and hotel booking arrangements.

Hong Kong Disneyland park will temporarily close from July 15

As required by the government and health authorities in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, Hong Kong Disneyland Park will temporarily close from July 15, 2020.

The resort hotels will remain open with adjusted level of services. Enhanced health and safety measures that reflect the guidance of health and government authorities have been put in place, such as social distancing measures and increased cleaning and sanitization.

We are in contact with health authorities and the government about the situation.

Please click HERE for more information on ticket, Magic Access membership and hotel booking arrangements.

Source

It's official, there's no end date although Ocean Park matches the BBC and says only a week's closure.

Unlike Ocean Park, Hong Kong Disney never posted an end date but numbers have hit their highest levels yet by HK standards. Their highest daily is 100 but it's enough that the HK Government has extended the 1-week closure mandate indefinitely so this will also affect Disney.