TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Completing the honey-do list? A birthday? A nice raise/promotion?

A tipsy night out when its that time of the month?

Saying just the right thing at the right time?

Never does it happen after an e-fight, I can assure you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad to see Cedar Fair working with some new companies. First Gerstlauer with Hangtime and now S&S. And yes I remember they worked with Gerstlauer with Spinning Dragons 16 years ago but that was a totally different Cedar Fair

Excited for KD to be getting a new coaster so soon after Twisted Timbers. Like I said in the Adventureland thread these style of rides aren't my jam. But they're inexpensive, easily marketable attractions for regional parks and it'll be a unique ride in that area of the country. Its a win for KD.

^my dislike is purely on the flipping. Which is ya know, the point of the ride lol. I just do not find it enjoyable or comfortable.

I may also have PTSD from Green Lantern that makes me physically unable to enjoy a free spin. I've been on 3 and just haven't enjoyed them.

That said, I still think they're a great addition to any park. I can separate my personal feelings from a parks capital expenditure and admit when something is a great addition even if I personally would not enjoy it.

This is one clone I don't mind seeing spread. I enjoy the free spins. And from a park's perspective, it's a highly marketable addition.

it also depends what kind of program they are running with the flips.

Six Flags tends to run very mild programs (with Batman at SFFT being the exception - tho I suspect it's because that was the 1st one, so the "mild" setting there likely still flips more).

but another chain COULD run a much more extreme program - for example, Arashi at Nagashima Spaland was NUTS. . .so much flipping.

let's hope KD goes the more extreme route

Whatever, so long as they don't remove Avalanche to put it in, it's something else to draw crowds away from Twisted Timbers.

I am interested to see the theme for this ride. Usually I wouldn't say that about a Cedar Fair park, but given their recent work with Copperhead Strike and Orion, I think it's safe to expect a cool theme and story with the ride, rather than just plopping it on concrete and slapping a Joker face on it like at the Six Flags parks.

• 3 weeks later...

In conjunction with the rest of the CF announcements today, Kings Dominion officially giving up on 2020:

A Message from Tony Johnson, Vice President & General Manager of Kings Dominion

August 4, 2020 Update

Today, Kings Dominion announced that it would remain closed for the rest of 2020 due to challenges related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The safety of our guests and associates is always our top priority, and we have done our due diligence in developing a comprehensive safety plan in accordance with industry and public health standards. However, the state’s Phase 3 reopening restriction of limiting the park to only 1,000 guests has brought us to the difficult decision to keep the park closed for the rest of the year.

Earlier this season, we extended 2020 Season Passes and add-on products to be valid through 2021. To further show our commitment and appreciation, all 2020 Season Passholders will now also receive a Pass Perksâ„¢ Loyalty Reward valid for purchases within the park next season. Day tickets sold for the 2020 season will be valid through September 6, 2021. Finally, any Pre-K Passes that were registered or activated in 2020 will be valid through 2021. Affected guests will receive an email with relevant details. Season Passes for 2021 will be available for purchase beginning September 8, 2020.

As we look forward to brighter days, our team will continue to work with public health authorities to ensure that our guests and associates can return to fun in a safe environment next season. We are planning a great 2021 with rides, attractions and entertainment for the whole family, including:

-The opening of a reimagined area in Soak City, Coconut Shores, featuring an all-new multi-level aqua play structure, a mini wave pool for kids, and a new dining experience;

-The return of our popular seasonal events including the nighttime international festival Grand Carnivale; and

-New exciting dining options designed by the park’s executive chef and culinary team.

We thank our guests and associates for their continued loyalty and support during this challenging time and we look forward to seeing you at the park in 2021.

While disappointing, this is not surprising.

The wording in their message makes me think the Free Spin is actually a 2022 addition. It is already August, and given that they listed out things to look forward to in 2021, you think they would at least mention an announcement if they plan on adding this for next year.

Or they're waiting to do 2021 additions in a CF-wide announcement. Plus, there's really no advantage to them announcing a new ride right now with everything in flux. Or maybe the free-spin is cancelled and we'll actually get something I'll ride, but that's just me being selfish.

^That makes sense for them to hold off on the announcement for now. I guess I'm just used to the Cedar Fair that teases rides quite well and makes it obvious they are adding a new coaster, but of course, nothing is normal right now in the industry. I suppose they could announce it later this fall.

With that being said, there is green Free Spin track currently on site. So whether it's for 2021 or 2022... it's happening!

• 3 weeks later...