Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Indiana Caverns and the Bat Chaser Zipline Coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby cfc » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:41 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I feel like Swamp Fox would have gotten a lot more attention over the years if it always ran like this, so I'm not sure if they retracked it around the time they repainted it.

It wasn't for lack of trying on the park's part.

Not sure when I'll get back to Myrtle Beach, but you have convinced me to give Swamp fox another try if I do.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:45 am

So good to hear it's a fantastic coaster! I never heard much about it and it always looked like a classic.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:54 pm

^ It definitely looks and rides like a classic!
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Holiday World & Indiana Beach

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Djwadeknox » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 pm

Interesting fun fact... the 2nd Sally Pistolero was installed in Knoxville Tennessee at The Regal Cinema Funscape around 1998. Here is a article about the center and the ride. I rode it once at Media Preview before the place opened to the public. I think it closed in 2000. I wonder if the ride went back to sally or it is in storage.

https://monkeyfire.com/mpol/dir_zine/dir_1998/845/t_gamut.html
Dollywood Rocks and I like turtles!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:06 am

^ Very interesting and odd. Thanks for sharing!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:57 am

Pavilion Park

For those of you who have visited the Island in Pigeon Forge, Myrtle Beach has a very similar shopping/dining/entertainment complex called Broadway at the Beach. And the offerings are quite diverse.

Grumpy Monk.JPG
You have restaurants.

Stupid Factory.JPG
The Stupid Factory (where no guests were oddly wearing masks).

Simpson's 4D.JPG
A 4D cinema. I'm interested to know if this is the same film as the Simpsons Ride or different.

Beach Rider Spin 1.JPG
One of those high speed boats.

Zorbing.JPG
Whatever the heck this is.

Broadway 360 (Far 1).JPG
And rides. But most importantly, rides.

The amusement rides are part of Pavilion Park, an odd amusement park divided into "three" sections.

Park Map.JPG
That Rocket ride looks cool. I sure hope it's open...

However, the park map, website, and staff failed to mention that the entire East pavilion was demolished. That included the rare Rocket flat ride I was really interested in trying.

Demolished East (Ground).JPG
RIP East Pavilion.

Pavilion Park Website East.PNG
Needless to say the website is a bit outdated.

Pavilion Park Website Beast.PNG
And they don't really pay close attention to it either based on this public page.

I actually found the Rocket lying in pieces in a lot across from the complex later that day when I went to get gas. And further down the road, I found a parking lot with several rides from the original Pavilion. I have no clue what the park intends to do with these attractions and if anyone knows, I'd love to hear.

Rocket 2.JPG
Maybe one day I'll ride one of these Funtime Rockets.

Pavilion Remains.JPG
There are enough rides here to double the park's offerings if they so choose.

Speaking to what Pavilion Park actually has, you have a coaster credit! And it's none other than a SBF spinner called the Myrtle Turtle. :lol: This one had a fairly long cycle, but it was otherwise the usual SBF spinner. 4 out of 10

Myrtle Turtle.JPG

The centerpiece of the park is the massive Broadway 360 Observation Wheel. This wheel gives a fantastic overview of the entire Broadway at the Beach complex, the shoreline, and the nearby Myrtle Beach Skywheel. 8 out of 10

Broadway 360 (Close).JPG
The Myrtle Beach Skywheel has a better location closer to the water, but this is a much better value.

Central Overview (Aerial).JPG
Here's a look at the Central Pavilion and Myrtle Beach shoreline.

For me, the highlight was the Central Pavilion since it was home to some notable flat rides. The best one was the Beast, a KMG XXL supersized frisbee. This is identical to the one that operates at PNE Playland with the hybrid inward/outward facing seats. And this ride is one of the best frisbee rides out there.

If you ride in the outward seats, you get some powerful and freaky laterals throughout the entire ride. These laterals are pushing you outwards against the restraint. And at the same time, you also get some good airtime on the max swings. By the end of the ride, my legs were completely numb from being pinned against the restraint.

The inward facing seats are a bit more comfortable since you aren't pushed outward against the restraint and the airtime feels a bit stronger since you aren't fighting against the outward forces, but I definitely preferred the outward facing seats for the uniqueness. 9 out of 10

Beast Logo.JPG
This is the best ride out there called the Beast. Kings Island fans can hate me all they want.

Beast Overview.JPG
The lateral and airtime combo on the outward facing seats is sublime.

Beast Close-Up.JPG
The hybrid seating is a really cool feature since you can get two radically different ride experiences.

The park also has a KMG Speed, that is surprisingly less expensive than the Beast and included on the unlimited wristband. Needless to say, I took advantage of that because this is usually a pricey upcharge. I had a very unbalanced car as I rode alone, so I thought I'd get more flips, but the lack of weight seemed to make it harder to flip. That being said, the ride was still quite intense with the extreme rocking. 8.5 out of 10

Speed XXL Close-Up.JPG
I still can't believe this was included on the unlimited wristband.

The Central Pavilion also had a flat I've never seen before from SBF Visa called the Moonraker 20. This ride seemed like a hybrid of a Round-Up and Wipeout. The ride had some strong Gs at the end, but it took quite some time to reach its maximum speed. 6 out of 10

Moonraker 20 Max Incline.jpg
Never seen one of these before.

Last but not least, I want to mention the park's slide. This is not your ordinary carnival slide. This one stands a good 80-90 feet tall. So if you propel yourself off the top, you build up some serious speed and will be bouncing over the final few humps on the slide. 8 out of 10

Central Overview (Ground).JPG
This is not an optical illusion. That slide really is almost as tall as the XXL.

So do I recommend visiting Pavilion Park? I'd say it's worth a stop if you're already in Myrtle Beach since you can get a coaster credit, try some crazy flats, and walk around a cool entertainment complex. I just wouldn't put any stock into the park's website what rides may or may not be present going into your visit.

In terms of covid-19 measures, this park was really lax. There was hardly anyone in the amusement park section, so it was very easy to social distance. But very few employees were wearing masks and the only ride that was cleaned in between cycles was the giant wheel.

Scrambler Operator.JPG

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I actually found the Rocket lying in pieces in a lot across from the complex later that day when I went to get gas. And further down the road, I found a parking lot with several rides from the original Pavilion. I have no clue what the park intends to do with these attractions and if anyone knows, I'd love to hear.

AcidicThankfulAmericancrocodile-size_restricted.gif

I hope they bring the Rocket back. It's one of those concepts that always looked intriguing.
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Six Flags Over Texas

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:44 am

^ That ride is on most of the park's marketing material, so it would be strange if they had no plans to rebuild it.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mikeykaise » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:32 am

Is this where Hard Rock Park was located, I was there in May and we drove by this area but didn't stop.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:41 am

No, Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park is ~5 miles away. The site is mostly clear outside of a few abandoned buildings, but you can see the sign still there at the intersection of Fantasy Harbour Boulevard and George Bishop Parkway. I included the photos at the start of my Family Kingdom report.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!