TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I have a hunch about Moreys openings because I have informed sources, but my sources at Great Adv have been tight lipped. This thread is generally a busy bunch so if someone knew something it would be posted here. All we know for sure is the park has been given a green light to open at half capacity. Restrictions, etc are coming per the announcement. And nothing is ever official until the parks announce it.

We do know that SF and Moreys are both hiring. So that's good. But those people also need to be trained, which is usually a few weeks. We also know that neither will have the influx of internationals that usually work the park/piers and when you combine that with locals who are laid off and making more money than they were prior to shutdown (so if they can continue to lay on their lazy asses and make even more money that will choose to do that) staffing for any parks in the area is not looking good. Not to say they won't open, but if people expect Six Flags usually-stellar* operations they might as well stay home.

(*that's called sarcasm, kids)

Edited by boldikus

Great Adventure has a stunning ability to staff the park when they should never be able to. I honestly expect almost everything anyone cares about to open aside from the indoor stuff (maybe), maybe Safari if they're still making bank with the drive-through thing, Kingda Ka if they want to be cheap and blame it on something stupid and maybe stuff like Zumanjaro / Bizarro that's located off in bumblef*ck. Honestly I wouldn't even be shocked if some of that stuff opens.

I also expect 99% of food places to be closed and lines for water to be unbelievable. I'm looking forward to the complaints from people who waited 45 minutes for water to save $4 at the vending machine because those posts are coming and I want you to know in advance that you're dumb and I hate you.

I agree about the park doing a great job having enough staff. My last 2 visits were the Tuesday after Labor Day and Veteran's Day. I was impressed that only 2 or 3 rides were closed in the entire park both times when I would have expected a lot more to be closed, especially on a Monday in November when Jackson and some other NJ schools were in session that day.

I'm glad it's not just me who's impressed with that.

They can last-minute decide to open on a random Wednesday night in late October for Fright Fest and then people post pictures of them riding Skyway with both sides operating or something crazy like that. I don't know how they do it. I think they have Oompa Loompas.

I know this isn't a thread for it but since we're talking about Jersey reopening (and I don't even think there is a thread for this park), Gillians Wonderland in Ocean City has announced they will be opening July 2nd. I would expect Playlands Castaway Cove to quickly follow suit since they are competitors. I'm certain Moreys will be soon after.

Ugh, I never do this but screw it, we need some good news.

Park is announcing tomorrow they will be opening on the 4th. Safari remaining as a drive-thru until it closes in the Fall. But you didn't hear that from me.

Wow, they really acted fast. Hoping to snag a reservation as early as possible, but also leaning towards waiting for initial reports to see how they're handling things.

Either way, this is such welcome news in this disaster of a year.

Here's the press release with all of the details:

JACKSON, N.J. ─ June 24, 2020 ─ Six Flags Great Adventure, the World’s Ultimate Thrill Park, today announced plans to open for the 2020 season. In accordance with Governor Phil Murphy’s opening guidelines for amusement parks, Six Flags Great Adventure will operate with reduced attendance levels and in preview mode beginning July 3. During this preview phase, the park will open to Members and Season Pass Holders exclusively July 3, and to the general public beginning July 4.

The park will then gradually increase attendance levels throughout the month. The park is implementing extensive new safety measures and hygiene protocols, including several new advanced technology systems to protect guests and employees. These procedures will be adjusted on an as-needed basis to ensure compliance with state recommendations. A preview date for Six Flags Hurricane Harbor is forthcoming.

“Six Flags Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor are beloved outdoor destinations for so many in the Northeast, and we look forward to welcoming families back to our parks. The safety of our guests and team members remains our number one priority, and the new safety guidelines we have put in place are designed to create a safe environment for everyone,” said Six Flags Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor Park President John Winkler. “We greatly appreciate the support of Jackson Township Mayor Michael Reina, Lieutenant Governor Sheila Oliver, Deputy Chief of Staff Mike DeLamater, Senate President Steve Sweeney, the New Jersey Amusement Association, and Governor Phil Murphy throughout this reopening process.”

The parks will employ an online reservation system to manage attendance, schedule guests for entry by day, and to stagger arrival times to minimize proximity exposure. Other new technologies include:

• State-of-the-art thermal imaging for temperature checks;
  • Advanced security screening technology for touchless bag checks; and
  • Mobile food ordering.

The parks’ reopening plan, which the company developed in consultation with epidemiologists, meets or exceeds federal, state, and local guidelines for sanitization, hygiene, and social distancing protocols.

“We have developed a comprehensive reopening safety plan that includes protocols designed by theme park and waterpark industry experts, along with best practices from top destination parks from around the world, which will allow guests to experience our parks in the safest way possible. This ’new normal’ will be different in some ways, but we believe these additional measures are appropriate in the current environment,” said Six Flags President and CEO Mike Spanos. Reopening procedures include:

Health Screenings for Guests and Team Members

• Contactless IR thermal imaging will be used to screen temperatures of guests and employees prior to entry;
  • Individuals will be required to acknowledge and abide by the company’s health policies, which prohibit park entry if guests have recently been exposed to or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19;
  • Following CDC guidelines, all guests over the age of two and all team members will be required to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth throughout their visit/work day.
  • Masks will be available for sale at the front gate for any guest without one; and
  • Masks will not be required on waterslides, water attractions, or in pools.

Strictly Enforced Social Distancing

• Easy to identify distance markers will be added in all park entry, ride, restroom, retail locations, and dining queue lines;
  • Dining areas will be adjusted to allow ample space between seated parties;
  • Guests will be separated by empty rows and/or seats on all roller coasters, rides, and attractions;
  • Six-foot viewing areas will be marked for guests to observe game play while adhering to social distancing requirements;
  • Advanced security screenings will enable touchless bag checks;
  • Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet;
  • Capacity at indoor venues and on some attractions, including the Wave Pool and Lazy River, will be reduced to meet social distancing requirements;
  • Guests will be allowed to ride on a tube with family/group members, but will not be allowed to share a tube with those not in their immediate party; and
  • A limited number of complimentary life jackets will be available upon request; however, families are encouraged to provide their own coast-guard approved life jackets for children under 42 inches, or those who are not strong swimmers.
  • All Hurricane Harbor life jackets will be sanitized after every guest use.

Extensive Sanitization and Disinfecting Protocols

• Trained and dedicated cleaning teams have been put in place;
  • Rides, restraints, and handrails will be cleaned throughout the day;
  • Team members will frequently sanitize and disinfect high-touch points, including the following:
    • Public Seating
    • Tabletops
    • Counters
    • Doors
    • Trash cans
    • Deck Chairs
    • Life Jackets
    • Tubes and Rafts

[*]Restroom staff will be stationed to disinfect each stall, sink, and shower area on a frequent basis;

[*]Multiple hand-washing and alcohol-based hand-sanitizer stations will be located throughout the parks; and

[*]All team member work areas will be regularly sanitized and disinfected.

Sanitized Food Preparation and Service

• Modified menus and implementation of mobile food ordering will help facilitate touchless transactions;
  • Self-service buffets and salad bars will be reconfigured to eliminate guest contact with food;
  • Condiments, self-serve cutlery, and napkins will be provided to guests with their meals as required; and
  • Beverages will be served by attendants; any drink bottle refills will be served in a paper cup each time guests refill.

Commercial-Grade Cleaning Equipment and Supplies

• All employees will be issued Team Member Action Packs which will include the following items: a safety face mask, safety glasses, and disposable gloves;
  • Low pressure backpack sprayers will be utilized for disinfecting large areas;
  • Abundant supplies of sanitizers and disinfectants will be available;
  • Microfiber cloths will be used to sanitize surfaces; and
  • Queue line supplies, fencing, and tents will be in place to promote safe social distancing.

Multi-Layered Guest and Team Member Communication

• Frontline team members will go through extensive COVID-19 training;
  • Safety messaging and reminders will be displayed on Six Flags’ website, and in newsletters;
  • Distance markers and physical distance indicators will be in place; and
  • Informational safety signage will be posted throughout the park.

Park Reservations System to Manage Attendance

Six Flags will establish attendance caps that will be well below the park’s theoretical capacity in order to allow for proper social distancing. All Members, Season Pass Holders and all guests with a single-day or group ticket will need to make a reservation at http://www.sixflags.com/reserve. Guests who need single day tickets will be able to reserve during the purchase process. The process will take 5-7 minutes, and guests will complete the following steps:

Enter their online order number, ticket number or Membership/Season Pass number;

Select the day and the approximate time they want to visit;

Acknowledge their understanding of the company’s health policy;

Order prepaid parking, if they do not already have a parking pass; and

Watch a brief video describing new social distancing and sanitation procedures.

The park’s website and social media channels will announce the reservation system’s launch date. Guests will be contacted electronically (either by email, text or both) the day before their scheduled visit to confirm their intent to visit. All Members and Season Pass Holders will receive booking priority over single-day and group ticket buyers.

The Six Flags brand is synonymous with family fun and thrills for all ages. These significant new changes are designed to improve the overall park experience while keeping guests and employees safe. The park will also offer “mask break zones” in select locations to provide socially-distanced areas for guests who wish to temporarily remove their masks.

Some rides, retail and food locations may not be available upon opening. The park team will open additional attractions as they become available.

Six Flags’ Wild Safari Drive-Thru Adventure was reintroduced May 30, 2020 following a seven-year hiatus. Utilizing the new reservation system and contact-free protocol, thousands of cars have taken the five-mile journey each day to get up-close to 1,200 exotic animals from around the globe. Due to its popularity and the ability for guests to social distance in their own vehicles, the Wild Safari Drive-Thru Adventure will remain operational until further notice. The theme park aims to reintroduce its Safari Off Road Adventure guided truck tours soon.

I wonder if the amount of time for a reservation will be capped at all. It only says for a group to provide an approximate amount of time.

All Members and Season Pass Holders will receive booking priority over single-day and group ticket buyers.

Nice little perk to make up for lost time!

Now I'm officially jonesing.

It's been over a month since the last post about it, but dare I ask if theres been any updates on Jersey Devil? Assuming theres a 0% chance it opens with the park but have they caught up enough to maybe have it ready this operating season?

^ Construction has stopped completely, and the banner has been removed from the parks website. Its still under the "whats new" section but I'd bet the entire project gets pushed to next year, as SF seems to be doing this for all of the new-for-2020 projects chainwide.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm bummed but completely understand why any park would do this. The entire point of a new attraction is to get people in the gate, but no parks can operate at full capacity so why bother? Not to mention if it does open this year they're most likely going to have to run it at half capacity so the lines gonna move niiiice and slooooow. Also the majority of parks aren't going to be able to justify new-for-2021 attractions after losing 3 months of income this year, so it makes even more sense to just push what they had planned for this year til next.

Lol I never even considered the reduced capacity. If it was running half the train empty it would probably have a comparable capacity to a Skycoaster!

Honestly at this point I'm hardly even bummed about it. I'm just excited about the idea of riding ANY coaster in the next couple of weeks.

^That's a positive way to look at things. I feel the same way about my local 2020 coaster (Emperor).

It's nice to see that Orion and Candymonium will be opening this season (next week!), but I think it is safe to expect that the major Six Flags additions (Jersey Devil, Aquaman) and the SEAS coasters (Iron Gwazi, Pantheon, Emperor, Ice Breaker) will all get pushed to 2021. Although I suppose a winter opening is possible for some of those coasters given the parks they're located in.

I'm lucky to have Great Adventure a little less than an hour from me. If I can get on Toro, Nitro and Wonder Woman and have some beers after this six month dry spell I'll be perfectly content.