TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Got it. Yeah, I am reading a few more comments online that seem to support what you are saying. I think it just isn't being captured properly in videos. Thanks for the reply and as usual, for the great coverage!

Honestly, this park is getting fleshed out really well and I am excited about that!

It's crazy to think about how a few short years ago this park had four operating rides and most people had absolutely no interest in spending more than a few hours there.

Yep--pretty much a construction zone during that time. I was glad to see Star Wars replace all the wasted real estate that had been the Studio Tour, though, and Runaway Railway looks like an excellent replacement for the Great Movie Ride.

that looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

I must admit that this has me SO much more excited to book a trip to Orlando, than the opening of Rise of the Resistance ever did.

think this is getting penciled in for a 2021 trip!

Our original plans for visiting WDW in 2024, may now include an extra day, spent at the Studios. We've only been planning for two parks at the time - Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. But now..... and we'll plan for doing only Railway, Resistance, and Slinky that day, with anything else we can do, being 'extra'.

I spoiled the ride for myself cause I have no idea when I'll get down there to ride it but I was amazed with how hard it is to tell what is a physical set and a projection and a screen and an animatronic, in the video atleast. Looks like an amazing attraction, which I figured it would be considering the announced one for Disneyland before Studios was even open, they knew it would be a hit.

One question that may have been addressed during the media event, but does anyone know why they chose to go with this style of animation for the attraction? I like it a lot but it's pretty different than the "traditional" look for Mickey, just curious why that was the direction they chose to go. Knowing how Imagineering works I'm sure there was a very specific reason, just curious what it is.

One question that may have been addressed during the media event, but does anyone know why they chose to go with this style of animation for the attraction? I like it a lot but it's pretty different than the "traditional" look for Mickey, just curious why that was the direction they chose to go. Knowing how Imagineering works I'm sure there was a very specific reason, just curious what it is.

The animation style is based off of the retrro-modern 2013 Mickey Mouse shorts, which have won and / or been nominated for a plethora of awards such as Annies and Emmys. They're very good, as a fan of old-school Disney / Looney Tunes slapstick, I enjoy them.

They probably used this style of animation for the ride because it's based in Hollywood Studios (and eventually Toontown). If this were a Fantasyland dark ride in either park I could see how they would want to go with the "vanilla / inoffensive" Mickey Mouse design.

The animation style is based off of the retrro-modern 2013 Mickey Mouse shorts, which have won and / or been nominated for a plethora of awards such as Annies and Emmys. They're very good, as a fan of old-school Disney / Looney Tunes slapstick, I enjoy them.

They probably used this style of animation for the ride because it's based in Hollywood Studios (and eventually Toontown). If this were a Fantasyland dark ride in either park I could see how they would want to go with the "vanilla / inoffensive" Mickey Mouse design.

That makes sense, I kind of forgot about those new Mickey Shorts but I do enjoy them as well.

I was going to go Saturday, but I decided to spontaneously go for a park closing tonight and I'm glad I did.

89043635_3185193674824646_1346971296725991424_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_oc=AQkYW5XDVu_yfF2gPdTJDG9Fxj8W8riIh3ojZal8fGY2YH5j6vgsuOkdf1FdQcQ4BTE&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=bb0235223a6e6ed08a9fc9935db190e2&oe=5E940514

It's seriously excellent. It's not as ambitious as Rise of the Resistance or as immersive as Flight of Passage, but I really don't care. It's energetic, bouncy, bubbly, wacky fun and that's why I love it.

It's a ride that must be ridden several times to truly experience it, because so much happens in every single direction. The cars are far enough apart from each other that car #1 may have a somewhat different visual experience than car #3, based on position and timing. The theme song is woven throughout the ride and is incredibly catchy. The pre-show is really convincing and, without spoiling anything, there is continuity after the ride ends.

Posted wait time when I entered the queue at 7:45 PM (45 min to park close) was 105 minutes, but I probably waited 60-65 minutes including the pre-show. It's a capacity monster.

Can't wait to do it again, and again. It's about a must-do for me at Hollywood Studios as Spaceship Earth is at EPCOT.

He heh, now this trackless vehicle attraction, is making me look more and more forward to TokyoDisney's Beauty & The Beast attraction, which is opening this April. (EDIT: Maybe a bit later, under current conditions/ circumstances.)

And it would totally AWESOME if somehow, the DisneySea FROZEN attraction could be something

like Resistance and Railway combined: trackless, at least two levels, and having spectacular

projection mapping, throughout the ride.* Not just another "boat ride".

*Just me wishin' and hopin'. Trackless 'R Us!

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across this video of an inside POV of the Lights, Camera, Action stunt show. Pretty intense stuff!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Robb, Elissa, does it remind you of anything?

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

timestamp 5:20

Head over to the Mirabilandia thread for all of my videos of that show, including far more hijinks from Robb and Elissa.

Edit - And we're good, all vids uploaded! Enjoy!

The ride certainly exceeded my expectations and there were so many little details that it takes multiple rides to see them all.

THIS, is what Walt Disney used to do, with major attractions like Pirates and Haunted Mansion in DL. "Keep it busy, so they'll have to come back again, to see it all," he was (sort of) quoted as saying. Same with Small World too, I believe.

And this one makes re-rides even better!

p.s. "I have read," that for all that one can see and hear per car, the third car offers the most advantage

of seeing and hearing (most of) everything in each scene. What I've read. Any support to this claim?

• 1 month later...

That's a great video. It was weird that Disney embargoed it when they haven't done it for rides previously (and everyone seemed to ignore said embargo) but glad to see a TPR quality video finally online.

• 3 months later...

I am taking my partner to WDW in two weeks and he is a HUGE Star Wars fan. We both agree that getting on Rise of the Resistance is the #1 priority for the entire trip. With the current situation at the parks, how has the virtual queue looking? Any tips from regulars on the best way to get on the ride? Has it been experiencing lots of downtime?

It’s been about 10-15 years since my last visit to WDW and it’s my partner’s first visit ever, so any tips are greatly appreciated.

We've gotten on it 2 for 2 our last visits. Once there was about an hour breakdown but they let us wait in the AC and it was pouring outside so that was fine, and the other time was ridiculously fast and efficient with no breakdowns at all.

They're currently offering boarding passes at 10am and 2pm. Get in the app about two minutes prior, if you have good cell service use that and turn off your wifi, keep refreshing and grab that pass! Make sure you and your partner are linked in the app as you'll have to select who you want to get the pass for.

When are you going, and are you staying onsite?

I'm 1 for 1 based on my last weekend trip, though due to extended downtime in the morning, I wasn't able to return until late afternoon / early evening.

When are you going, and are you staying onsite?

I'm 1 for 1 based on my last weekend trip, though due to extended downtime in the morning, I wasn't able to return until late afternoon / early evening.

We are going to Hollywood studios on the 18th, MK on the 19th, IOA the 20th, and AK on the 21st. We are staying at the JW Marriott on the WDW property. Figured it was a good option since it’s brand new and still has on site transportation.