TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

There's a newly released video out, I am assuming by Disney, of some of the Runaway Railway attraction! It shows a few scenes from the ride (not all of them of course), and I won't describe them to stay spoiler-free. It looks pretty cool, there's a lot of projection mapping, film pieces, along with some great set pieces and animatronics, etc. The theme song is fun, too.

If this is available to see here, could somebody else link it here, or post the video? I can't figure these things out, without screwing it up somewhere.

^ I see it on Youtube, but since from a 3rd party site (even tho it credits the footage to Disney), probably not a good idea to post it here.

let Robb/TPR post official footage that Disney sends to them (or allows them to shoot). . it's safer.

but yes, it *DOES* look pretty amazing, even just from the B-roll footage online.

^ And it's only a few days until everybody will know about what's inside, lol.

NOTE: It looks like still shots and videos are popping up everywhere now, especially on Disney Fan Sites.

And I am Team Mickey (vs.Team Star Wars), all the way!

PerfectPicnicPoster.png.9ac5a7e5ed7a2310aff578c21e1f5a65.png

Check out our Twitter and Instagram from today for a ton of cool images and video!

The ride is awesome! Really impressive and super cute. So glad to have not one but now TWO trackless Dark Rides at the same park!!! It's crazy!

5 hour wait 15 minutes after park opening

I suspect it will get down to Avatar Flight of Passage levels (consistently 2-3 hours) in the coming weeks.

For anyone who goes in the next few weeks, how is the cell reception in the indoor part of the queue for Mickey and Minne's Runaway Railway? I'm seeing some people post they opened the queue before park opening and I'd hate to miss a Rise boarding group if that queue is a dead zone.

I strongly suspect that the capacity on this will be through the roof. The movie ride could chew through a line pretty fast and this looks to be even better. We rode the movie ride on the second to last day with a good portion of the line outside of the building and still got on in around 45 minutes.

For anyone who goes in the next few weeks, how is the cell reception in the indoor part of the queue for Mickey and Minne's Runaway Railway? I'm seeing some people post they opened the queue before park opening and I'd hate to miss a Rise boarding group if that queue is a dead zone.

Anytime I had an issue in a queue I switched to WiFi and had no issue.

I mean each train can fit up to 32 people, right? 4 individual cars with two rows of up to 4... if they can dispatch them every 30 seconds or so, that would be a pretty great capacity. I read there is a single rider line? I assume it isn't running today, though.

The wait time is down to 95 minutes which seems entirely reasonable. Is this thing just a total capacity whore?

I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Checked out the on-ride videos posted on FB. WOW. This looks absolutely stunning! The immersion into the cartoon world is really breathtaking. Can't wait to check it out (hopefully end of this year)!

I find it great, that you really need to ride Runaway Railway at least four times - once in each of the four "cars" of the train. Having seen a POV on (I think) three of the cars, you really see and hear different stuff going on, while the action continues from scene to scene. Very cool.

SPOILER ALERT EDIT:

I have to add, I found Daisy's Studio to be the most out-of-place, yet totally calming scene of the entire ride. Compared with all the noise and craziness happening before and after this scene, it's a nice calming spot. Until the tempo changes, heh.

And as well, the "stampede" that was being speculated about, was not really about stampeding bulls. It's us and the four train cars being the stampede! And Mickey and Minnie are "rounding us up" for the next scene.

And IMhO, I found the Factory scene, and it's eventual conversion, to be the best scene of all, for myself.

And Projection Mapping has been outstandingly used, with Disney's work on this attraction. Waytago, Disney!

So we attended the Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway media event the other day. We were allowed to film 3 different complete onride videos, but our PR reps have asked us not to post any full onride videos from the media event. I'm not exactly sure why this request was made, and even though many other people at the event disrespected those requests and have posted their full videos anyway, out of respect for our hosts who invited us to this special event, I will hold posting a full POV until we go ride it on our own during regular operating hours. But for now, here is the provided B-Roll that Disney gave us, along with the edited rider cam that we are allowed to post...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

Anyway, the ride is honestly GREAT! For people that say it's all "Screens" there actually aren't any screens at all. (Well, there is one screen based media on the back of the train engine with Goofy) but the rest of the ride is all physical props and sets with things being projected on them. There are quite a few practical effects in the ride and animatronics as well. There is even one scene that completely changes before your eyes including many of the actual physical set pieces transforming.

I'm not going to give too much more away about the ride.

Although I will say that I think it's kind of funny (and also cool) that while we have been waiting 19 years for a "Pooh's Hunny Hunt" style trackless dark ride to come to Walt Disney World, we now have TWO within three months of each other opening, and they are almost right next to each other!

I'm also one of those people who A. Really likes the new style of these Mickey cartoons, so this art style is 100% *AWESOME* for me, and B. Never really thought Great Movie Ride was all that spectacular. I always felt that GMR seemed more like a "Universal" ride than a "Disney" attraction and I was honestly very happy to see it go.

Get out and ride Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway! It's honestly a lot of fun!

Edited by cfc

Having watched other posted POV's (for whatever reason, I was cool spoiling this for myself, but not Rise of the Resistance), it seems like a pretty solid ride and I am super excited about the continuing transformation of this park!

My one question is: early in the ride, the cabinet in the back of train opens, revealing Goofy on a screen. However, there is a fairly obvious black gap above the rectangular screen that cuts off Goofy a bit, because the cabinet itself isn't just a rectangle. This isn't intentional is it? Was wondering if you guys even noticed it.

I absolutely realize this is nitpicky, the reason I ask is only because I know Disney IS that particular when they design things, it would surprise me if this wasn't just a technical glitch that needs worked and not an oversight.

My one question is: early in the ride, the cabinet in the back of train opens, revealing Goofy on a screen. However, there is a fairly obvious black gap above the rectangular screen that cuts off Goofy a bit, because the cabinet itself isn't just a rectangle. This isn't intentional is it? Was wondering if you guys even noticed it.

In mine and Robb's (probably much better) video that I just looked at, I don't even really see what you mean. The cut out that opens is in a distinct shape and goofy fits that shape as if you're peaking into the window of the locomotive. That's why he may appear 'cut off'. The effect really works well in person, maybe it just doesn't translate on video.

Having watched other posted POV's (for whatever reason, I was cool spoiling this for myself, but not Rise of the Resistance), it seems like a pretty solid ride and I am super excited about the continuing transformation of this park!

I absolutely realize this is nitpicky, the reason I ask is only because I know Disney IS that particular when they design things, it would surprise me if this wasn't just a technical glitch that needs worked and not an oversight.

Yeah, like Elissa said, that's not what we saw at all. I wish we could have posted our video from the ride, but...maybe at some point down the road we will be able to....