TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Looks like May (early to mid) is when I shall finally go here, so stoked

Expecting low crowds on a weekday then.

Heard nothing but rave things, and Im excited to try the area as well, never been to TN

Anyone got suggestions for: Chattanooga, Gatlinburg, and what is the best alpine coaster around as I hear there's a few

That's why it's a good test lol. Six Flags had very short windows originally and over the years, those windows have grown.

However, lines are usually short during that time anyways. After 1 or 2 the afternoon storms hit and they grow greatly... Also I feel people at Splash eat later so one meal does them all day.. Maybe Dollywood thinks that's actually the "slow" time for lunch. It's the slow time on days when I am there.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Looks like May (early to mid) is when I shall finally go here, so stoked

Expecting low crowds on a weekday then.

Heard nothing but rave things, and Im excited to try the area as well, never been to TN

Anyone got suggestions for: Chattanooga, Gatlinburg, and what is the best alpine coaster around as I hear there's a few

In Chattanooga (did you mean to say Chattanooga or do you mean Knoxville?) I suggest the Tennessee Aquarium. Much better than Ripley's! If you plan to visit Ripley's and budget only allows one aquarium I'd pick Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga and skip Ripley's and I love Ripley's.. Tennessee is one of the best aquariums in America! It's very underated!! It's two buildings now! One building is saltwater like ocean creatures and the other is freshwater and a lot of fish types you don't see elsewhere because so many aquariums focus on the tropical. This building focuses on rivers of the world instead of oceans.. They also have a butterfly section that you can walk through, birds (all included) and usually some traveling exhibit in a nearby building (travelling cost extra)(last time I was there it was Dinasours) as well as IMAX (cost extra)

https://www.tnaqua.org/

^ Seconded the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga. It's one of the best we've ever been to. You should also check out Lake Winnie (actually just over the state line in Georgia, but still Chattanooga area).

Check out my trip report here:

https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74909&start=50

^ Is the Train Station 'Museum' still there? And still good? I visited it with my host decades ago. Enjoyed touring through all the different rail cars, and having lunch in the middle of the station with the highest point above us, in glass and stained glass. Really beautiful.

Same here, not sure. Chattanooga is a nice day trip from Knoxville but it's also far enough that it isn't one that I take very often. We would actually rather spend an extra 45 mins and drive to Atlanta when in that area. My last visit was for the aquarium and to spend time downtown. I know the train ride is still there but not sure about the museum

Edit: are you talking about this

https://www.tvrail.com/

^ No. It's a set up of all the different rail engines and cars that were part of the rail system through Chattanooga. For those who remember, there's even a song about it, part of the iconic 1920's music period? And Disney even used the song in their first version of Big Band Beat, over at Tokyo DisneySea!

And the station is totally un-usable. Only for display and the enclosed restaurant.

(Pardon the Chattanooga Sidebar)

Problem you have in May and June are school/church groups. Hard to predict. It's likely the lot could be fun with buses during those months.

Still, if you want to ride a bunch, Timesaver will make it all pretty much a walk on if it happens to be one of those day.

Problem you have in May and June are school/church groups. Hard to predict. It's likely the lot could be fun with buses during those months.

Still, if you want to ride a bunch, Timesaver will make it all pretty much a walk on if it happens to be one of those day.

School groups can make the park busy during the day but most leave fairly early and the parks dead afterwards. You might get a good 2 hours after th schools leave, but school groups are something to consider.

My school would always take 6 buses so that's 90 passengers give or take a bus. Usually several schools are there at a time so it can add up quickly. And these are ride kids wanting rides!

Plus the festivals bring in a decent crowd, but older crowd so the festival crowd might not cause any ride related issues.

There is also Lookout Mountain which has several attractions including Ruby Falls, Rock City, and an Inclined Railroad. Rock City is geared a little more towards kids but has some amazing views that include seeing seven different states on a clear day.

I've read elsewhere online that Dollywood plans to announce their largest investment plan ever on March 13th at 10:30

Id imagine the new resort that's been rumored and then another 5 or 10 year plan of additions for the park.

I actually want Dollywood to have a true haunt event but I never see that happening. My wife and I always travel to other parks for true haunts, usually multiple parks a year

Luminights brings a large enough crowd for them so not really any need for a haunt like other parks

Yeah, I got a survey that basically asks for opinions on naming the ride. Quest for the Hidden Cavern was the best name option they offered. None of them were especially inspired. Seems like a shooting dark ride. 6 person vehicles. Definitely going into Wildwood Grove area. Didn't copy over the specific ride experience description and theme, because I would have had to type it out word for word.