TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

p. 45: Donkey Kong Country announced for 2024!

I am cautiously optimistic given Universal does have experience with interactive stuff with the Potter wands. I imagine this will be something similar where the bands can trigger simple practical effects in the land in addition to whatever they do in the app.

it looks impressive, but as I'm not really a gamer (and when I do play, it's always Sega, not Nintendo - yes, I've never played a "Mario" game, unless you count his appearances in "Donkey Kong").

but then again, i'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, and I was blown away by the Forbidden Journey ride. So I'm willing to keep an open mind, and enjoy whatever attractions they put in at least once.

I'm not sure how I feel about APP integration with theme park attractions. When I was at Galaxy's edge, I used the data pad all of 6 minutes before I realized I was missing all the cool theming of the land itself! So I put it away and never took it back out. Too many people are addicted to their phones enough as it is, and its kinda silly to be at an expensive theme park you paid for with your nose in the phone.

I look at app integration as a fun distraction while waiting in line for something and a new way to engage annual pass holders, who visit frequently enough that they don't care about the details as much since they've seen them all.

^^ Their Part 2 of the land (future) is supposed to include a Donkey Kong coaster of some kind/design.

And the show building for it, is supposed to fit right beside the Mario Kart show building.

And "maybe" it will be done and open, to compete with DisneySea's Fantasy Springs opening, that year.

Just supposing, here.

• 1 month later...
Universal Studios Japan announces the temporary closure of our park in order to prevent the spread of Novel Coronavirus within the nation. We will carefully monitor the situation. The period that we are closed may change according to the situation and in that case we will make further announcement.

All tickets can be refundable only by your travel agency not in the park.

◆Temporary closed period: Saturday, February 29th 2020 to Sunday, March 15th 2020

Source

• 2 weeks later...
To prevent the spread of Novel Coronavirus within the nation, Universal Studios Japan has been closed temporarily from Saturday, February 29th 2020. In accordance with the latest Government’s request to continue refraining from conducting events, we will extend the period of our temporary closure. As of today, the closure until Sunday, March 22nd is decided. The definite re-opening date will be announced later by considering the situation including the Government’s further announcements. All tickets can be refundable only by your travel agency not in the park.

Universal have extended their closure by a week.

Source

• 5 weeks later...

Like the Disney announcement yesterday and with Osaka being one of the areas included in the state of emergency, Universal have given pretty much the same announcement as OLC did for Disney, extending the closure and reassessing in May.

To prevent the spread of Novel Coronavirus within the nation, Universal Studios Japan has been closed temporarily. Even though we had announced its period to be by April 12th, in response to the Novel Coronavirus Emergency Declaration issued on April 7th by the Government, we have decided to extend the period of our temporary closure to at least the middle of May, when we will make a further determination. The definite re-opening date will be announced later by considering the situation including the Government’s further announcements. All tickets can be refundable only by your travel agency not in the park.

Source

• 2 months later...

Super Nintendo World in Universal Studios Japan has been delayed. No new date announced yet. The construction (from the outside) looked close to completion but not sure how much work was left on the inside. This new land looks amazing, but totally understand why it has been delayed, both for commercial and practicality reasons.

TDR Explorer (in English)

NHK News Web (in Japanese)

Yes, I think that was always the assumption. I think it's a combination of not needing to open it for the games, the fact the area is quite compact and relies on touchy-feely elements like the AR binoculars, plus I guess construction did slow down as a result of coronavirus.

My expectation would be that they will open it at least a few months before the games, because then at least they can take advantage of tourists during the busy Spring season and then can hopefully enjoy a second wave (the good kind) should the games take place as normal.

^Good point, I always forget about Japan's Golden Week as well (I will never travel Japan in that time ever again). You're right, they could open and test run the area a little before Golden Week and then enjoy a second wave once the Olympics start.

• 4 months later...