TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2019 Trade Show Updates from TPR!

Was excited to see GCI's new hybrid track debut at Fun Spot... Looks like RMC might have some upcoming competition in the future with those hybrid's, which is awesome.

Hoping if GCI get's some work, we start seeing some different types of elements (besides RMC's love for barrel rolls ). Or even just a traditional type of GCI layout with that track option would be awesome, especially with those wonderful Millennium Flyers...

Really excited to see what comes out of GCI with this!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the color scheme on the Pantheon train.

It looks pretty cool, though it's just a "standard" design with decals all over it as opposed to the themed fronts of coasters like Taiga, Taron, and Soaring with Dragon.

Remember a few yhears ago when IAAPA was full of awesome stuff, cool new concepts and all that? Recent years it's just been "here's a lead car for a new coaster, here's a lead car for an old coaster, here's a new topping for dippin dots." It's really gone downhill. Where's all the innovation we used to see?

Joey's on the money with this one, especially with S&S, who actually builds full-scale prototypes like coaster companies liked to do in the 80s and 90s. You'll also see new concepts previewed in the brochures and literature that the companies give out, I know Intamin is showing a single-rail like design in their latest one (but only a single image for it). Vekoma did the same for their new Suspended Thrill Coaster design in last year's book.

I also imagine the shift to more train unveilings is because most of the "traditional" media is only there for day 1, so the focus is on parks trying to grab some media attention for themselves.

The big train unveilings were pretty much ALL SeaWorld parks. If the press schedule hadn't been somewhat full, they probably would have had an actual press unveiling for the Pantheon train too. SeaWorld is really pushing the coasters hard this year. I think the only other high-profile ride vehicle unveiling that I can immediately recall is the ETF dark ride system for Legoland New York.

I just can’t believe PTC designed “new” trains but did nothing about those wretched lapbars.

They continue to remain absolutely legendary and have great business with replacement parts for the vast majority of existing wooden coasters, but there hasn't been a brand-new coaster built with PTC trains on it since 2016. M&V's new coasters all run Timberliners now.

I like the color scheme on the Pantheon train.
It looks pretty cool, though it's just a "standard" design with decals all over it as opposed to the themed fronts of coasters like Taiga, Taron, and Soaring with Dragon.

True, but do those rides have "golden" track?

BGW usually doesn't do that much more with the trains with the exception of Verbolten and InvadR.

Great coverage so far. I always enjoy TPR IAAPA updates to get me looking forward to the next season. I'm sure some of the gripes can get a bit discouraging, but thanks for continuing to do your thing.

Lol the new hyper coaster coming to kings island lol.

Yeah. I'm sure it won't be a successful investment... Roller coaster enthusiasts praise GCI for their classic wooden coaster layouts, but when it comes to B&M's classic steel coaster layouts it's somehow cool to make fun of them. Not everything needs to be ground breaking to be good.

The closest comparison I can make to roller coasters are sporty cars, which I also happen to enjoy. Driver oriented cars deliver great visuals and an engaging experience. There are so many innovative/different models that are a blast to drive like my STI, the Honda Type R, Golf R, Toyota Supra, etc. In the end, the American general public has a lot more interest in the classic American muscle car. It's a crowd pleaser even though they maintain the mostly unchanged formula of high horse power V8's, somewhat conservative looks, and a more comfortable experience than some of the more aggressive feeling styling such as the aforementioned cars. Incremental improvements are made with each model, but the general concept remains the same. Muscle cars don't fit my personal tastes, but to say muscle cars haven't been a huge success among the masses and using what definitely works is just close minded.

Props for being cool, I guess?

Remember a few yhears ago when IAAPA was full of awesome stuff, cool new concepts and all that? Recent years it's just been "here's a lead car for a new coaster, here's a lead car for an old coaster, here's a new topping for dippin dots." It's really gone downhill. Where's all the innovation we used to see?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how with so many new and exciting rides being constructed this year, which are on display at IAAPA, someone could be wanting more. I enjoy seeing the different ride vehicles. I remember seeing TPR reports ten years ago when there were cool models and physical designs displayed. With computer animations being so good right now, there's not as much of a need to haul in props.

It's hard for some people to come to grips that IAAPA isn't a playground for enthusiasts. This isn't intended to be an all-you-can-eat carnival food buffet with a side of toys and models. IAAPA's intentions are business oriented.

Another look at the the Nebulaz flat ride from Zamperla.

I love that ride from what I am seeing! And I saw a video of it running, elsewhere...and wow!

At a demoed faster speed, it really was freeking people out! I loved it.

I also want somebody from Playland(PNE) to note this, and have it added to Playland's

already great collection of flat rides, etc. And Coaster. And Quarters Arcade.

It's hard for some people to come to grips that IAAPA isn't a playground for enthusiasts. This isn't intended to be an all-you-can-eat carnival food buffet with a side of toys and models. IAAPA's intentions are business oriented.

^This^ x 100. I've attended the show for work a dozen or so times over the last 20 years, and while I won't pretend to have any significant insight, I feel pretty comfortable saying that the overwhelming majority of the 25-30k buyers that attend are there for networking and practical ideas and education sessions that will make their everyday job easier. The audience that the new hotness is aimed at is pretty narrow. For the most part, the show floor hasn't changed all that much since I first attended in 2000. It was very heavy on VR and access and revenue software and equipment this year. A little light on practical equipment and supplies for the average operator. Inflatables seem to be on a downward trend and the haunted house equipment that came in awhile back was almost non-existent this year. The outside midway area was pretty thin this year and they're now up to 2 tents of exhibitors in the parking lot. It's hard to believe that they've finally outgrown the North/South building after moving the show there in 2003 when things were starting to look a little lean in the struggling economy. The building is about to expand in the coming years and I heard that there's a possibility of part of the show moving back over to the West building.

For the most part, the show floor hasn't changed all that much since I first attended in 2000. It was very heavy on VR and access and revenue software and equipment this year.

Suprisingly, I actually thought that there was less virtual reality stuff than previous years.

It's hard to believe that they've finally outgrown the North/South building after moving the show there in 2003 when things were starting to look a little lean in the struggling economy. The building is about to expand in the coming years and I heard that there's a possibility of part of the show moving back over to the West building.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time in recent memory that the first-time exhibitors were put in their own space. Every other year I've gone (7 non-consecutive years since 2011), they've all been in one corner of the main show floor. I'm actually both excited and concerned that the show continues to grow like that.

Lol the new hyper coaster coming to kings island lol.

Yeah. I'm sure it won't be a successful investment... Roller coaster enthusiasts praise GCI for their classic wooden coaster layouts, but when it comes to B&M's classic steel coaster layouts it's somehow cool to make fun of them. Not everything needs to be ground breaking to be good.

Calm down and come off your soap box. If you would look below my post, you would see where Adam referenced a "Freudian slip" as he had mistakenly stated hyper vs giga. So yes, not everything needs to be groundbreaking and also not everything is making fun of something .

Joey's on the money with this one, especially with S&S, who actually builds full-scale prototypes like coaster companies liked to do in the 80s and 90s. You'll also see new concepts previewed in the brochures and literature that the companies give out, I know Intamin is showing a single-rail like design in their latest one (but only a single image for it). Vekoma did the same for their new Suspended Thrill Coaster design in last year's book.

THIS is how I have been feeling! I don't know if the industry has plateaued or what but it seems like I haven't had the feeling if needing and wanting to go in a while because it's just eating bear claws, riding a flat or two and looking at the cool horror animatronics. Hopefully some new concepts will come in the near future.