TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Supposedly, GCI use a much harder wood for the track on Ghostrider which is why it has been holding up so particularly well since the refurb. All GCI’s can hold up really well if the park takes care of them, so my guess is that if Gold Striker is getting rougher, it’s the park’s fault.

It’s pretty incredible how, for example, the two Missouri GCI’s, both in the same climates but on opposite sides of the state, and built within a year of each other, can be so starkly different. American Thunder is one of the smoothest GCI’s still to-date (because it receives lots of love over every off-season), while Prowler has become awful.

I find it funny that both SFSTL and WOF both have A GCI, A Spinning coaster, a Boomerang and and a B&M invert in a somewhat competing market

So, I finally got myself married a few weeks ago and we took our honeymoon in NorCal the following week. After camping at Portola for a few days,

Just noticed this. Portola in Plumas County? My parents work in that area! It's rare that I hear people actually trying to visit that area (vs. get tf out, as I did).

No, it was actually Portola Redwood State Park. I didn’t realize there was a town called Portola until I googled it just now.

Nobody does There is camping near Portola the town, but usually people would camp at the nearby lakes, not the town itself. Anyway, congrats on getting married!

It is a shame that GS has gotten more rough. It's a great GCI. It's still not to the point of "NOPE" but it's certainly not as great as it was when it first opened.

Supposedly, GCI use a much harder wood for the track on Ghostrider which is why it has been holding up so particularly well since the refurb. All GCI’s can hold up really well if the park takes care of them, so my guess is that if Gold Striker is getting rougher, it’s the park’s fault.

It’s pretty incredible how, for example, the two Missouri GCI’s, both in the same climates but on opposite sides of the state, and built within a year of each other, can be so starkly different. American Thunder is one of the smoothest GCI’s still to-date (because it receives lots of love over every off-season), while Prowler has become awful.

I find it funny that both SFSTL and WOF both have A GCI, A Spinning coaster, a Boomerang and and a B&M invert in a somewhat competing market

Worlds of Fun and Six Flags St. Louis do seem strikingly similar in terms of “class.” I haven’t been to either park, so I won’t comment on the quality of experience at either, but speaking strictly in terms of ride lineup and their rank in their respective chains, they share many similarities.

But on the topic of CGA, that’s what would be so great about them getting a B&M Hyper one day. It would be the biggest coaster in the area (because NorCal is essentially a separate state than SoCal) and would be highly visible among the very populated area. If they can eventually cut through the red tape on noise and space issues, I feel like it would be a MASSIVE hit for the park.

Worlds of Fun and Six Flags St. Louis do seem strikingly similar in terms of “class.” I haven’t been to either park, so I won’t comment on the quality of experience at either, but speaking strictly in terms of ride lineup and their rank in their respective chains, they share many similarities.

Six Flags St. Louis has superior rides, but Worlds of Fun is much better on atmosphere, food quality, etc. Oceans of Fun is a much better waterpark than Hurricane Harbor. Both parks basically just attract from their local metro area, though plenty of Missourians have been to both.

• 1 month later...

Soooo what are crowds like in say... early April, assuming it opens up that early? Realized I'm going to be half an hour away in Burlingame for an event and highly thinking about making a day trip. I can't find the 2020 hours; typically weekend only that time of year or open most of the week?

Soooo what are crowds like in say... early April, assuming it opens up that early? Realized I'm going to be half an hour away in Burlingame for an event and highly thinking about making a day trip. I can't find the 2020 hours; typically weekend only that time of year or open most of the week?

CGA opens for the season in mid-late March. It's usually the same weekend that Carowinds and Kings Dominion open. This year it was on March 23rd, I believe.

They operate weekends-only until Memorial Day, like most parks. I don't think you will have any issues with crowds whatsoever. Sundays are always better than Saturdays though.

Went on Sunday (fright fest). I think Railblazer is the most intense coaster on the west coast, although perhaps the Xcelerator launch or the Ta tsu pretzel loop may be the most intense moment (debatable). Joker and Twisted Colossus are also great but they're more of a hands up ride. On Railblazer most of the hands up riders are hands down after the dive loop.

I don't want to ride Demon again. Rides like a 40 year old Arrow. Shuffling and vibrating into the loops. Demon was a walk on while Railblazer, next to it, had an hour wait all night.

Flight Deck was as it always has been, short and very punchy. Back row right seat is my favorite.

Goldstriker is probably my least favorite GCI. A good drop, good speed bump and then shaky shaky shaky.

Patriot was closed (not a loss). As a floorless it's not as bad as it was, but nothing noteworthy now.

CGA could use a big, not shaky coaster as a compliment to Railblazer. The rumored B&M hyper would be awesome for the park -- in between the kiddy coasters (Grizzly, Mouse) and the old worn out coasters (Demon) versus Railblazer's extremeness. Rumors also that this is not going to happen.

Railblazer is so extreme that everything else in the park seems meek in comparison. Back seat on the first drop rivals any other drop - it's at least as ejector as Skyrush, Steel Vengeance, i305, El, Toro, several beyond 90 degree drops.

It would not surprise me if Jersey Devil will have more intense airtime than El Toro, especially at the front and back ends of the train. It will also not surprise me if it will have the longest wait time at SF NJ.

Welp, quite the chaos at this park tonight. It was trending on Twitter so I went to see what was going on. Apparently there was a robbery and a fight amongst a bunch of teens that escalated into people yelling out that there was a shooter... which caused mass panic as everyone in the park tried to flee. There are videos of people clambering over turned-over metal fences (the kind they use to make lines at the ticket offices), using jackets to cover the barbed wire of the fencing around the park so people could climb over to get out, people rushing through the parking lot....

LOTS of chaos. The police have said they responded to an active shooter call-in, but there were no shots fired. Regardless, the chaos happened and there are a lot of very terrified people, including *little kids*. Just the perception that there is an active shooting is enough to cause very real psychological damage; I hope whoever was involved in this gets arrested and harshly punished. It's like crying "fire" in a crowded theater. Like, geez.

Apparently there's at least one person who broke their leg 'cause of all of this; I hope they'll recover okay.

Making a quick weekend trip to San Jose for a friend's birthday and I was initially disappointed to see CGA wasn't operating normal hours on the weekend in December BUT they do have Winterfest going on and Railblazer, Goldstriker, Flight Deck are all open.

Park is open 12/7 from 5p-10p

If I get there for opening is it realistic to ride Railblazer, Goldstriker, and Flight deck in an hour?

As much as I'd like to have more time I'm really just out in San Jose for 48 hours so I'm trying to check out the alluring coasters while not being a dick to my friends

^It's possible...as long as the crowds are low enough. Railblazer gets the longest line of the three, while Flight Deck gets the shortest. I'm not sure which you should go for first, Railblazer or Gold Striker. I'll leave that to those TPRers who visit more frequently than I do. So, in short, it's possible...but not guaranteed.

Making a quick weekend trip to San Jose for a friend's birthday and I was initially disappointed to see CGA wasn't operating normal hours on the weekend in December BUT they do have Winterfest going on and Railblazer, Goldstriker, Flight Deck are all open.

Park is open 12/7 from 5p-10p

If I get there for opening is it realistic to ride Railblazer, Goldstriker, and Flight deck in an hour?

As much as I'd like to have more time I'm really just out in San Jose for 48 hours so I'm trying to check out the alluring coasters while not being a dick to my friends

My guess is yes, you can ride all three in an hour if it is the first hour. Flight Deck has good throughput. Goldstriker's is OK. Railblazer's is not, but it's awesome. I recommend riding Railblazer first, partly due to the line and partly because it is by far the best.

Railblazer is also worth riding front and back seats. The back is breathtaking.

Flight Deck is short and intense, an old B&M with forces.

Gold striker is better in back on the first drop, the rest of the ride doesn't seem to matter where you sit.

Enjoy.

I recently went to the park for the first time in a few years, mainly for Railblazer. Railblazer did not disappoint. It was awesome. I was not a fan of the shape of the seats and the way my foot bones hit the sides on the lateral movements. but other than that it was perfect. The capacity is also terrible, so ride it early. Twisted Colossus is my favorite in California, but Railblazer is a real contender for second.

i hadn't ridden Patriot since the conversion. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. It is still a little rough, but there is just enough intensity to make it enjoyable. It is better than Rougarou.

Gold Striker has aged very poorly. I was shocked. It used to be my favorite GCI, but now it's down there among the worst ones (like Apocalypse or Wildcat). Now I would say that Wodan is my favorite GCI. It doesn't have the best layout, but it is by far the best maintained.

Flight Deck is still awesome, and is holding up really well for a coaster over 25 years old.

Gold Striker has aged very poorly. I was shocked. It used to be my favorite GCI, but now it's down there among the worst ones (like Apocalypse or Wildcat). Now I would say that Wodan is my favorite GCI. It doesn't have the best layout, but it is by far the best maintained.

My guess is wooden coasters hold up better in places where it rains in the summer (unlike California). Roar, Goldstriker, Apocalypse suggest a pattern.

I don't know what the problem is with Hersheypark Wildcat, maybe it was just an early build and didn't work right. It's a shame, since GCI's racing coaster next to it is great. Maybe Hershey will RMC Wildcat. (RMC is also a verb, right?)

FWIW, Apocalypse has been retracked, and is currently riding quite well. Oddly, the first drop is the roughest part. But after that, it's actually pretty good.

I agree. Based on my recent rides on both, Apocalypse is actually running better than Gold Striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Saturday is looking like rain alllllll day; between half and 3/4 inch of rain and 60*. I'm kind of expecting them to close at this point. IF they are open, do they typically run Goldstriker, Flight Deck, and Railblazer? The website wasn't much help.

Thanks everyone! Really hoping I can go for an hour and check out those 3.

Saturday is looking like rain alllllll day; between half and 3/4 inch of rain and 60*. I'm kind of expecting them to close at this point. IF they are open, do they typically run Goldstriker, Flight Deck, and Railblazer? The website wasn't much help.

The Jizzman Claus is coming to town hahahaha. Last winterfest I believe all the the majors were open so you should be good.

Is your name a derivative of jizzmaster zero??

The Jizzman Claus is coming to town hahahaha. Last winterfest I believe all the the majors were open so you should be good.

Is your name a derivative of jizzmaster zero??

It was 2009 pre Texas trip and Robb was on a live podcast. So when there was an opportunity to call in I called and (my original name was PKI ManJZ) when he asked who was calling and I said who it was he said "PKI who? Jizzman?" And boom that became the screen name. I think it ties to a Ron Jeremy movie.

Anyways glad to know they're open, but what about in the rain!

Post San Jose trip edit: Yeah the whole area got downpoured on and flooded the whole weekend. Next time!

• 1 month later...

Installing both a giga AND a hyper might be a little too ambitious to consider, however I do think a B&M hyper is very possible (and likely) in the next 5 years. Something along the lines of Mako or Candymonium would be perfect.

The day the West Coast finally gets a B&M hyper will be a very happy day.

• 3 weeks later...
Installing both a giga AND a hyper might be a little too ambitious to consider, however I do think a B&M hyper is very possible (and likely) in the next 5 years. Something along the lines of Mako or Candymonium would be perfect.

The day the West Coast finally gets a B&M hyper will be a very happy day.

CF might lead off with a giga since cali doesn’t have one (Superman is exempted for argument sake) and I think they could say it’s the tallest longest fastest full length in California. I’m not gonna check on rcdb but this seems right. Then follow up with a hyper. Either way one of them is guaranteed and that is awesome.

• 8 months later...