TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I think you'll be going to greener pastures.

How were the crowds?

I got in my Eagle sunset ride and egads, the old girl is running rough late in the season. Still fun, though.

We got in the park at opening on Friday night and everything was walk on pretty much until it was dark. Crowd picked up then, but even at that it was either station waits or just a bit more in some cases. It was a good time.

Went to Fright Fest Sunday afternoon with some friends. We arrived at 2:00 and got more riding than any of my recent previous visits (all of which were also slower days). Lines were short and we didn't have to wait more than a station wait for anything but Eagle and Freeze, both of which were 10-20 min waits at best. All the rides were running the best they have in many years. For the first time in five years, I was able to marathon the Boss (in any row) and boy, was it hauling at night at the bottom of the first drop. It crawled through the rest of the course obviously, but it was still fantastic. I'll reiterate what I've said before - I'd rather GCI come in and Ghostrider The Boss than see RMC come and chop out half of the layout (which will be Six Flag's fault for being cheap, nothing wrong on RMC's end). American Thunder was as smooth as opening day (as it's always been, kudos to the maintenance team) but a little weaker than usual. Screamin' Eagle was actually the roughest of all three of the woodies and could really use some love, but provided the strongest /most wild night ride I've had on it in many years. We are blessed with some truly fantastic wooden coasters when they all run well and it's one of two saving graces (the other being my love for Fright Fest) that has been keeping me coming back all these years.

Batman was also hauling a$$ yesterday and was extra snappy in the back. I don't usually ride in the back on rides because I grey out very easily and it's an unpleasant experience for me, but for some reason I didn't grey even once on Batman. I definitely enjoy rides much more when this happens.

The scarezones this year seemed better decorated but ironically understaffed. I'm not sure if this was a staffing issue because it was a Sunday or just the normal this year. I didn't bother to try any of the mazes because I was disappointed in them last year and they seem to just get more expensive by the year. I'm headed to WoF in two weeks anyway, so I'm saving my money for some much higher quality thrills.

Got to ride Dragon's Wing this visit - they were running a special for $15 rides, and I used my BOGO membership benefit to split a double ride with my friend and bringing the price down to $8 per person total after tax. What a deal! I've only previously ridden it once years ago because of the expensive price, but this truly was a once-in-a-lifetime moment, especially being able to share it with a friend who said he never imagined riding it one day. He loved it!

Taking a final look at the hill were the go carts sit, it's surely going to look empty next year. I might actually miss those stinky things and the way they winded under The Boss's queue. I'm excited for the new ride, but probably (even after this surprising visit) will be sticking with my decision not to renew my pass next year, marking the first time I can recall that I won't. The park doesn't offer me enough and won't unless things stay on the table, so I'm taking the year off. This visit was an the outlier to all my previous visits in the last several years that not been very spectacular, and I've been traveling more to other parks anyway. This year I hit a record seven different parks, including (after my WoF visit in two weeks) all the Missouri parks, with a second SDC visit planned for December, so the only way I'll end up with a pass next year is if I hit a different Six Flags park.

I think you'll be going to greener pastures.

How were the crowds?

I got in my Eagle sunset ride and egads, the old girl is running rough late in the season. Still fun, though.

We got in the park at opening on Friday night and everything was walk on pretty much until it was dark. Crowd picked up then, but even at that it was either station waits or just a bit more in some cases. It was a good time.

Was there on Friday 10/4 as well, what a great night to visit. Eagle was running AMAZING, best ride I've ever had on it.

Emily and I went to the park last night. I haven't been to a Fright Fest in probably over ten years. I don't understand what everyone is bitching about. I thought the decorations were great. Our two points of reference are Kings Island's Haunt and Scarowinds, which are both awesome. FF wasn't on the level with those two parks, but their season passes aren't $50 a year and you don't need a skip the line pass to ride more than three rides on Friday night.

The fog, lights, and decorations near The Palace Theater was really concentrated and it seemed to fan out from there. Since the park is small, I noticed less areas where it felt like the park wasn't themed. The loud "bumping" music from different areas in the park gives an impression of an amped up atmosphere throughout. The scare actor ratio seemed OK compared to what KI and Carowinds have.

I go for the scenery. I'm in my mid 30's and can't understand why grown ups would be scared. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I just don't get it. I guess it's a little fun to be a little apprehensive about someone startling you, but I think there are enough props, enough of a crowd, and enough actors to make you keep your guard up. It could just be me. I feel like a douche throwing it out there and I hate to be that guy mentioning it, but I deal with enough life and death bullshit that a teenager in a mask does nothing for me. It probably just numbs the haunt experience (and life...) for me.

However, and it's a big however, we did not do any haunted houses. We only stayed at the park for about two hours and I didn't know about the pricing. I think we saw that an all season haunted house pass was around $50? Seriously... where are the complaints? Budget park. Maybe they suck. I don't know.

Here are a few things I noticed:

*All of the classic lights had been replaced with deep glow flame lights, which was awesome.

*Fog everywhere!

*The troll walk through was great and an actor actually startled the crap out of Emily. (maybe she gets it?)

*The projector lights look great through the fog.

*Again with the music, despite some areas still playing typical pop music?

*Outside of areas around Batman and near Screamin' Eagle, everything seemed very condensed and the atmosphere was consistent. Budget.

*Again, The Palace and the front entrance looked really cool.

And the winner is: The Blood Bank! That place was freaking cool. We didn't see the cheesy (I'm sure) show that takes place in there, but the seating and warm area is really neat. The bartenders were friendly and a cut above any amusement park bartenders. They didn't spend several minutes examining my Driver's License and they seemed to know what they were doing. Emily mentioned how neat the blood bags were and the bartender was really enthusiastic and encouraged her to try one. I let her know that Emily isn't allowed to drink for another 6 months. (I put a baby girl up in there.)

I got a walk-on sunset ride on the best ride in Missouri, which of course is screaming eagle. I got a station wait night ride on The Boss. We rode the 30 second spooky car ride. We waited 15-20 minutes for JL. Two Skull Mug beers for me. We watched the show at The Palace for our maximum tolerable time limit on cheesy non-animal theme park shows (5 min).

I'll be back for HITP!

KMZVtJE.jpg

I go for the scenery. I'm in my mid 30's and can't understand why grown ups would be scared. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I just don't get it. I guess it's a little fun to be a little apprehensive about someone startling you, but I think there are enough props, enough of a crowd, and enough actors to make you keep your guard up. It could just be me. I feel like a douche throwing it out there and I hate to be that guy mentioning it, but I deal with enough life and death bullshit that a teenager in a mask does nothing for me. It probably just numbs the haunt experience (and life...) for me.

I couldn't have said this better myself, being in the same line of work. It boggles my mind how any grown adult, or even HS or College student, could be legitimately scared by anything that occurs at a Six Flags or Cedar Fair Halloween event. I too enjoy them for the artistry of it all.

Now, some of the intense haunts (like that one in Spain described in the TR or some of the nuttier ones in PA), where people are touching you, restraining you, throwing stuff on you...I can see how that could cause some psychological trauma. But kids in face paint, masks, and sparking sliders? LOL.

I couldn't have said this better myself, being in the same line of work. It boggles my mind how any grown adult, or even HS or College student, could be legitimately scared by anything that occurs at a Six Flags or Cedar Fair Halloween event. I too enjoy them for the artistry of it all.

Now, some of the intense haunts (like that one in Spain described in the TR or some of the nuttier ones in PA), where people are touching you, restraining you, throwing stuff on you...I can see how that could cause some psychological trauma. But kids in face paint, masks, and sparking sliders? LOL.

I've spent some time working at Cedar Fair haunts, standalone no-contact haunts, and some contact haunts. There is no question that even the actors prefer the contact haunts. You almost feel restrained working at a contactless haunt vs a contact haunt. Which is even worse while at a Theme Park Haunt.

And while going through contact haunts, it just feels so much more personal than other haunts, especially when going through conga-line style. Conga lines suck for everyone.

Zach ....glad you enjoyed the atmosphere at the park. I've come to appreciate it more. We too have been to Scarowinds and thought it was awesome. A few weeks ago we went to HHN at Universal and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I mean it was still a fun weekend in Orlando and the props/decorations and number of scare actors was top notch..........BUT, having to go through the houses conga line style and the huge number of non scare staff really diminished the experience for me. (I get why they do it, but it kinda sucked) Also, the loud techno pop music versus some good creepy Halloween music was not a favorite of mine either. Like you, I'm never really scared other than some momentary jump scares (I'm not in law enforcement but I have taught 7th grade for 27 years, I don't get rattled too easily, lol) but really enjoy a good atmosphere and that's where I think HHN fell short.

Congrats on the baby! Fair warning, if you think the behavior of people bothers you now, just wait until you have to spend time with other parents in the kid's rides area at an amusement park and watch how badly some of those parents will behave.

Oh and good thing you got a ride in on the Boss. The ride op that lives in my house informs me it did not open on Sat night and it's open days for the season are numbered due to temps.

^^ Nice shot

Also, thanks guys. Life's changing already. Our immediate family knows, but we're going to put something on Facebook to announce it to our friends and other family members on.... Halloween. Not because we're big fans of Halloween, but because it's scary as ffck for humanity that we're going to reproduce. That's one of the last days of the first trimester, so I figure we're safe to make the announcement. We took a picture of Emily pointing at the no pregnant riders sign to put on Facebook. This is going to be out "one and done" child experience.

Also, thanks guys. Life's changing already. Our immediate family knows, but we're going to put something on Facebook to announce it to our friends and other family members on.... Halloween. Not because we're big fans of Halloween, but because it's scary as ffck for humanity that we're going to reproduce. That's one of the last days of the first trimester, so I figure we're safe to make the announcement. We took a picture of Emily pointing at the no pregnant riders sign to put on Facebook. This is going to be out "one and done" child experience.

Yay! Congrats on the exciting news, Zach! So happy for you and Emily! As you've probably gathered from many of my posts, my kids are my life, and in addition to everything else that they embody, their love of coasters, and sharing in my enjoyment of them, has proven to be an awesome blessing! I know you both will also experience this someday, and it will be a whole new, and fabulous way to enjoy this hobby! So again, congrats!

So... This gravel access road at Ninja seems new.

M1mStpFh.jpg

It is new

Crane access. Ninja is getting a new chain and lift sprockets as well as other maintenance. Work was started on that yesterday.

Well poop. I was hoping SFSTL would take a page out of Vortex's book. More investing in it means it's gonna stay for the foreseeable future