TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Probably has something to do with their vastly HS/college age workforce having classes on Monday thus being more hesitant to work Sunday nights.

Probably has something to do with their vastly HS/college age workforce having classes on Monday thus being more hesitant to work Sunday nights.

I also wonder how many people would show up on a Sunday night. I don’t think it would be busy enough to make it worth being open most Sunday nights especially for the smaller Cedar Fair parks.

Apparently the locals think that they're entitled to CP opening up on a weekday just for them. That was after last weekend's insanity. When staffing is addressed, they seem to think it's silly to suggest there wouldn't be enough local workers who would be up to the task. (idiotic source: Facebook.com)

I also wonder how many people would show up on a Sunday night. I don’t think it would be busy enough to make it worth being open most Sunday nights especially for the smaller Cedar Fair parks.

KD has dropped all non-Haunt Sundays during the Haunt run probably because they end up dead days. I think it would be a better argument that more popular parks such as CP and KI doesn't need them, but it makes it harder to find a good time to go. I do see CP has a partial Haunt, though with 8 PM close, on Sundays, but didn't find any others that do that. 3 other CF parks -- Dorney, Valleyfair and WoF -- have no Sunday Haunt or only the Columbus Day exception, and MiA has no Haunt at all. The remaining 5 parks have Sundays. 4 of the parks without are in the midwest. May have to do with driving distances for employees and guests. Most employees at KD have a 30-45 min. drive. Sundays were more crowded than Fridays until they started College Nights.

Apparently the locals think that they're entitled to CP opening up on a weekday just for them. That was after last weekend's insanity. When staffing is addressed, they seem to think it's silly to suggest there wouldn't be enough local workers who would be up to the task. (idiotic source: Facebook.com)

Open the park and only the park for them. With a big old sign outside every single ride and restaurant that it's closed due to lack of staff.

Edited by Garet

They will just have to do what Knott's and CW do and break the day into two parts. A no haunt day with alone rides. Then if you want to stay for the haunts you need to by a 2nd ticket for the haunts. Not sure if they will do to hotels and during Halloween you have to stay for a min of 2 days

Edited by thepoint4life23

They will just have to do what Knott's and CW do and break the day into two parts. A no haunt day with alone rides. Then if you want to stay for the haunts you need to by a 2nd ticket for the haunts. Not sure if they will do to hotels and during Halloween you have to stay for a min of 2 days

That would be a traffic disaster of epic proportions. They would then only have one lane exiting the causeway with all day guests on it since they would need to have three coming in and there would be a ton of day guests that don't leave so people would be driving around forever looking for spaces. This would also extend to the reversible lanes on Butler Street.

That system works great for parks with tons of parking served by decent infrastructure but it would not work for Cedar Point.

Is there some extreme religious thing in Ohio that causes CP and KI to not have Haunt on Sundays? (exception CP 10/13) Doesn't help the situation for sure.

At least for CP it's mostly due to staffing. They're extremely short staffed this time of year due to kids returning to college or home over seas. Lots of their staff drive in for the weekend from local colleges and there are tons of fundraiser volunteers to round out staff. Another reason service tends to suck this time of year. You literally have people working stands and even crowd control at rides who may be there on Friday and not again, ever.

We did the same thing at GL under CF management to fill out our send of season staffing, and it was terrible coming in and having to train all new employees every day.

It's time for CP to step up and offer a competitive wage for Halloweekends... I mean, even if it costs them $15hr plus for Sept/Oct to properly staff the place, so be it.

They can get staffing... They just need to pay for it. No reason Friday's should be at half capacity anymore, or Sunday's be 'dialed down' due to any staffing issues. It's too damn busy and a peak time of year to have any excuses.

Ah, $15 an hour. The universal solution to all of the world's problems.

Most HS/College kids and parents with normal jobs have work Monday morning. It makes absolute sense for them to not stay open until 10PM or 1AM on Sunday nights. Yes, they probably could pay more and get more people to work, but I think you're vastly overestimating that incentive and they would still have staffing troubles.

I'm pretty sure CP, and the other CF parks that do not do Haunt on Sundays, are perfectly fine with their fiscal outlook the way things are. I'm sure someone there has done the math and determined that the additional income gained from running Haunt on Sunday nights would not outweigh the additional expense.

Edited by Mike240SX

After reading the last dozen pages or so, it just makes me so glad that for the last decade I’ve chosen to visit the park exclusively during the week in June, where everything is staffed properly, and I don’t have to wait more than 30 min for anything, even without Fastlane.

Ah, $15 an hour. The universal solution to all of the world's problems.

Most HS/College kids and parents with normal jobs have work Monday morning. It makes absolutely sense for them to not stay open until 10PM or 1AM on Sunday nights. Yes, they probably could pay more and get more people to work, but I think you're vastly overestimating that incentive and they would still have staffing troubles.

I'm pretty sure CP, and the other CF parks that do not do Haunt on Sundays, are perfectly fine with their fiscal outlook the way things are. I'm sure someone there has done the math and determined that the additional income gained from running Haunt on Sunday nights would not outweigh the additional expense.

I like this guys response:) Why do people always feel that businesses should cater to their wants. Go to another park or build your own. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure Cedar Point will be just fine.

Fun fact that nobody has mentioned yet. Right now, CP is paying all employees a $5/hr bonus for all hours worked. Soooooo a pretty significant portion of their employees are indeed making $15/hr or more right now. Actually, quite a few are making more than that. Just keep that in mind when you’re complaining that CP can’t find staff. It’s almost impossible when you don’t have a metro area close by.

Fun fact that nobody has mentioned yet. Right now, CP is paying all employees a $5/hr bonus for all hours worked. Soooooo a pretty significant portion of their employees are indeed making $15/hr or more right now. Actually, quite a few are making more than that. Just keep that in mind when you’re complaining that CP can’t find staff. It’s almost impossible when you don’t have a metro area close by.

And kids that age don't wanna work. You can raise the minimum wage and you'll still find that the generation is seriously lazy and entitled. Not my opinion rather fact. Im not talking about everyone, but a large portion. They are more concerned with free stuff

And kids that age don't wanna work. You can raise the minimum wage and you'll still find that the generation is seriously lazy and entitled. Not my opinion rather fact. Im not talking about everyone, but a large portion. They are more concerned with free stuff

It looks like the "kids these days" person jumped the tracks from Facebook to the forums. Any minute, the "nowadays" person will be here. We'll have all the knowledge we need! ^^ Not opinion, but FACT!

Now, where's my free shit?

You mean you don’t have to be a lazy entitled millennial to work at Cedar Point during Halloweekends? A 50-something is just as capable to work a stressful, thankless, temporary, benefit-less job, outdoors in the northern Ohio elements? Huh.

Yup, but those people (who think that they’re above that job) believe that everyone younger than them is entitled for also thinking that they’re above that job.

Unless you have a passion for the industry and dreams of advancing within the industry there are probably tons of other jobs in the area that pay about the same thing (at least for most of the year), have better hours, are year-round and aren’t outdoors in October on Lake Erie.

I don’t blame any group for this. It’s probably the fault of their limited schedule and location more than anything and there’s not much they can really do about either of those things. Honestly, once daily operations ended a lot of proactive people probably started looking for a job that could give them hours more than two days a week that wasn’t going to end in 2 months. That’s not being lazy, it’s being smart.

Edited by coasterbill

For anyone interested in auctions, here is one for you.

https://auctions.graysauctioneers.com/auctions/1-2A85C0/the-cedar-point-auction

Supposedly they are cleaning up the town hall getting rid of antiques that have no ties to the history of Cedar Point to make room for new historical displays.

And some other rumors I am hearing that is not going to make many people happy...

- for the 150 anniversary the midway is being redone

- removal of the sky ride

- removal of Wicked Twister (going to another park)

- maXair being moved to different location within the park

- The old ballroom removed

Maybe these aren't new rumors and who knows if any of this is true. I guess time will tell.