TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Six Flags operations across the board seem to be improving dramatically the last few seasons even though most rides still have one person checking seats per side.

I agree. The only rides I consistently have slow dispatches on are flyers (makes sense) and RMCs with the RMC trains. But even Cedar Fair struggles with the latter.

Oh yeah, Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers have atrocious operations. I know Cedar Point went through a lot of trouble to get 3 trains on Steel Vengeance but they might as well just take one off and use it as a spare because it's entirely unnecessary. As for Twisted Timbers, typical dispatch time last weekend was about 5 minutes (it's up on a giant screen so everyone can see how bad it is even without paying attention).

Edited by coasterbill

I'd agree with the improving operations. Even at SFA, Superman on busier days would be running two trains, with the 2nd train frequently sitting on the brake run for just 10-15 seconds before they dispatch. I've even caught a couple of times when the train was dispatched before the other train even reached the brakes. Not as nearly impressive as impressive as Nitro or S:TR @SFNE, but still impressive that SF was able to get SFA's operations into something tolerable.

The Nitro crew are nearing in 2 million riders for this season which will actually be the first time the ride has given 2 million riders in a single season!! Be sure to take a few extra rides on Nitro if you visit anytime during the rest of the season! Even on a crowded fright fest day, the line will move extremely fast thanks to the amazing operations!

^Last year I decided to take a plunge and wait in a full, overflowing queue for Nitro during Fright Fest. The app said it was 90 minutes, it took 25 minutes. I timed it and the line didn't stop moving at all, it was like a constant slow walk with like 2 full stops.

I'd agree with the improving operations. Even at SFA, Superman on busier days would be running two trains, with the 2nd train frequently sitting on the brake run for just 10-15 seconds before they dispatch. I've even caught a couple of times when the train was dispatched before the other train even reached the brakes. Not as nearly impressive as impressive as Nitro or S:TR @SFNE, but still impressive that SF was able to get SFA's operations into something tolerable.

2 trains at SFA?!? I think this is the biggest shocker.

Visiting on Oct. 27. Don't really care about credits so I'd be ok with msising Superman since my homepark is SFOG. What do you think the proper route is to make sure I can knock it all out in time? Was thinking Kingda Ka> El Toro > Bizarro > freespin > wonder woman > Nitro. Would also like to try the safari as I see that is the last operating day. Hoping crowds wont be too bad during the early afternoon. Planning to be there from opening-5.

Visiting on Oct. 27. Don't really care about credits so I'd be ok with msising Superman since my homepark is SFOG. What do you think the proper route is to make sure I can knock it all out in time? Was thinking Kingda Ka> El Toro > Bizarro > freespin > wonder woman > Nitro. Would also like to try the safari as I see that is the last operating day. Hoping crowds wont be too bad during the early afternoon. Planning to be there from opening-5.

Do the Safari first, the line for that thing grows very quickly.

^^ SORA first if that's a priority (and it should be). Its a 45-60 minute experience (depending if you get off @ Camp Adventura). If the wait to board is an hour, then you're spending two hours back there. Also, the animals are typically more active in the morning or evening, they just kinda lay around in the afternoon. Just do it early or first. Hit Bizarro and Mine Train while you are over there but sometimes SORA and Bizarro open later - or at least they used to.

Once you're done there - Toro/Ka/Zum, Joker, Wonder Woman/Nitro. Could easily be done in 6-7 hours, but ONLY if you get there at opening and knock out SORA early. Avoid Joker early as it gets a line because its one of the first things people see, it will die down. Nitro is a people eater (as the last two pages of this thread show you) so just save it for last. The "The wait is this long from this point" signs? Divide by the number of trains that are on. Wait is an hour but they have three trains running? You'll be on in 20 minutes barring any operational issues.

P.S. Toro: 2nd-to-last row, Ka: front row, no exceptions, Nitro: back right, Bizarro: front for the view or back for the force. You're welcome.

Do the Safari first, the line for that thing grows very quickly.

And from what I can recall, the line for SORA gets cut off at about 4:00?

Bill beat me to the photos. In addition to the BAFF, they had the secondary entrance to the park (for those looking to enter from 537 eastbound) closed off, so anyone looking to get into the park from that direction had to drive past and turn around. You think the jughandles suck on a normal day?

The secondary entrance was open on Monday, September 30, (Rosh Hashana) which also was a BAFF day. Park was fairly quiet from 11 am opening until 1 pm, then hordes of people started pouring in. Weather was nice and I suppose many people decided to attend at the last minute.

I may check out the park tomorrow, October 9. Open during Yom Kippur. Cooler weather and possible rain, so it should hold down attendance.

Be warned, from 6 years of working at the park, the Orthodox Jewish days were some of the busiest at the park. Not sure if that has anything to do with Yom Kippur but if it does...yeah have fun. I'll reserve my comments about the behavior of those attendees as to not offend.

Although the park is open because of Yom Kippur, it's more because of schools being closed. The large Jewish groups that attend the park a few days a year will not be there (it's the holiest day of the year so they are going to be at a Synagogue and not at the park), they usually visit during Passover in the spring and a day in the fall. This year it is October 17th, a buy out ( http://www.ncsygreatadventure.com/ ).

I miss when that same group used to buy out the park on Easter. The park was closed to the public but season pass holders were allowed in for free even if not part of the group and it was basically no lines all day.

^^^^^

It looks like the general public can just buy a ticket at the gate for $45 on that buyout date. Season pass holders can for $15.

I haven't seen the secondary entrance closed in at least 10 years. Sometimes it would be in the fall. I don't remember when that jughandle about 1/2 mile east of the entrance opened. When the secondary entrance was closed, you needed to go another mile and turn around at the Wawa/McDonald's jughandle.

• 2 weeks later...

It was two years ago in 2017, except for the Safari I think.

EDIT: I should clarify. Yes, the entirety of the park was open to walk around. Many food stands were closed, as well as some ride closures, due to staffing if I had to guess.

The weekends after fright fest and before holiday in the park is the entire park open?

Yes pretty much everything is open and unlike freight fest that weekend is DEAD. BTW the Safari is open but if you want to do it you have to buy a ticket for the Grape Adventure whine festival.

So I'm going up there from 10/31-11/3 and staying overnight at Days Inn Windsor/Highstown about 13 miles away.

I'll very likely get the Flash Pass (gold should be sufficient enough?) and the Flash pass for the Fright Fest attractions

Edit: I think Diamond and Diamond Elite members get a Flash Pass discount?