TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

This is a great addition, probably the next best thing to a new coaster. It is unique and different and only one other Six Flags Park has one (St. Louis). My guess is it may replace Condor since it has a lot of down time and is an aging ride. They may even renovate that side of Ghost Town to fit it. Can't wait to try it next year I love these crazy flat rides they keep adding.

This is going to look imposing as you approach the park with it being in Ghost Town.

The park has empty space in Ghost Town, but (assuming the rendering is correct) not at the end of a line of shops/buildings. I guess we'll have to keep an eye on Condor.

Looks cool, the park needed another thrill ride and this fits the bill (hopefully it's not an upcharge). Also this is not replacing Condor, this is going where the gem pan mining upcharge attraction currently is

Went to the park this Sunday for the first time since 2016, Only rides I noticed down where the Bobsleds and the launch side of Sasquatch, the park was packed and since it was in the mid 70’s most people stayed in the dry park. As far as the new Hurricane Harbor goes I was underwhelmed by the conversion but it’s about what I expected from Six Flags in 2019. A new staircase has been built from next to the bathhouse down the hill into the old Wiggles World. The Big Red Car and Teacup rides are gone but the Plane ride remains and seems very out of place now. The new Bucket Blasters ride is very small not much bigger then the old Wiggles Teacups, thou the new activity pool next to it seemed nice and was definitely busier then the other two kids areas in the water park. The old Wiggles World water fountain splash pad still remains and actually kind of fits in nicely with the area now. Other then that a few new slide names and some paint on all the older tube slides on the hill, that’s about it for the new Hurricane Harbor. I also made sure to get a ride on and snap some pictures of Condor as I am a hundred percent convinced that is where the new ride will go next year. It was running great and after riding the much slower Condor ride at Marineland earlier this year I was glad to know it wasn’t just my nostalgia kicking in when I swore the Great Escape version was much faster. It will be sad for sure to see another great Huss ride go. All in all it was a good day and I hope to get back before the end of the year

583285FD-FB5D-436A-801B-5CB39811B7EF.thumb.jpeg.f06169647dc4af59faa73fec40beb7de.jpeg

DF5B2A0F-B63B-44B1-9A37-BBB377B1EB36.thumb.jpeg.192f6c1b7efd03a1d01e34ffcf702128.jpeg

Edited by nhman93

^ Is the Condor for sure getting removed? Last I heard nothings been announced.

Nothing has been announced but based on the size of the new ride and the location of it, it’s hard to see how the Condor could still fit in its current location. Since it’s not a major ride I wouldn’t expect a closing announcement until right before the season ends if we even get one at all. Six Flags has closed plenty of rides without giving notice.

I did some detective work and I think Condor may be safe.

If you review the rendering, you can see a Western facade on the right and a red-sided food stand on the left. I believe that Western facade is the Bumper Cars and the red-sided food stand is Dan McGrew's. Therefore, I believe the rendering is looking down the midway towards Desperado Plunge.

It seems like they are going to demolish part or all of Charley's Saloon based on the rendering.

Rendering.thumb.JPG.fe4969de3212bb7246bdb11961814714.JPG

Midway.thumb.JPG.13e36564f8fe6d5087ccd510a81e868d.JPG

Photo courtesy of Google Maps

Aerial.thumb.JPG.96101a50b6f7da6c0c22c97459d23471.JPG

Photo courtesy of Google Maps

I did some detective work and I think Condor may be safe.

If you review the rendering, you can see a Western facade on the right and a red-sided food stand on the left. I believe that Western facade is the Bumper Cars and the red-sided food stand is Dan McGrew's. Therefore, I believe the rendering is looking down the midway towards Desperado Plunge.

It seems like they are going to demolish part or all of Charley's Saloon based on the rendering.

[attachment=2]Rendering.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Midway.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Aerial.JPG[/attachment]

Good work! I’m surprised as the park just put money into the Salon and they use a part of it for a fright maze, looking at the pictures again I really really hope this doesn’t mean the closure of the Log flume, the exit/ picture building is right up against the salon. I know those type of things can be reworked but I worry especially with how many logs have been closed the past ten years.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a visit to Great Escape- the first time I'd been there in years. Park was crowded for opening weekend of Fright Fest. Went straight for Bobsled, it was open with about a 5 minute wait; the ride broke down while I was on the lift hill thanks to fog from a nearby machine tripping a sensor. Ride was running about 10 minutes later; the one ride was pretty enjoyable.

Comet was about a two train wait and extremely rough. Barely fit in the seat as it is; it's not big people friendly at all. Had some decent airtime, but between the roughness and the forceful turns it was quite painful. I don't remember the ride being that rough... it desperately needs a retracking.

Left shortly after; we were hungry and the lines at just about every food place were ridiculous, plus the park was so crowded getting around was difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like the town residents are opposing the ride's proposed location in Ghost Town. The area where Great Escape wants to place the ride has a height limit of 135 feet.

Link to Post Star

QUEENSBURY — Great Escape has proposed a 165-foot-tall ride in a section of the park where tall rides are specifically forbidden, and neighbors came out in force Tuesday night to criticize that choice.

In 2001, the town and Great Escape went through a laborious process that included floating balloons above the park to decide what height would intrude on the viewscape of Glen Lake residents.

Great Escape officials acknowledged those rules at Tuesday’s Planning Board meeting. They also acknowledged that the proposed ride, Adirondack Outlaw, would be seen at least slightly from the Glen Lake area.

But they asked for approval anyhow, saying that the ride wouldn’t really hurt the neighbors’ view.

“The view (of the ride) would be minimal, not substantial, not material, and of limited duration,” said attorney Charles Dumas of Lemery Greisler LLC, who was hired by Great Escape to represent the company at the meeting.

Residents disagreed. About 20 people came to the meeting.

“I am opposed to anything that can be seen on Glen Lake,” said resident Lorraine Stein. “I want to go out on my boat and not see something flying around every four minutes.”

It takes four minutes to load the ride. Then it spins for 90 seconds. The ride is long, horizontally, but it points in the direction of Glen Lake, so they would see it on end, which is the shortest side. The ends are only four chairs wide.

Several residents urged the town to stick with the rules set out in the 2001 Environmental Impact Statement.

“It’s very, very frustrating to work with the board and Great Escape and all the people to come up with a conclusion, an agreeable situation, and then 20 years down the line we decide we want to change all we agreed to,” said resident Linda Clark. “The problem’s been resolved. They have areas in the park they can put this ride.”

But the ride is needed in Ghost Town, said Great Escape maintenance division Manager Danielle Smith.

She told the Planning Board that few people go to Ghost Town anymore.

It has three major rides: the Steamin’ Demon, the Desperado Plunge and the Canyon Blaster. There’s a large arcade in the center and a restaurant, the Saloon. Although wait times at those attractions can be significant, Smith said the area is a true ghost town.

“It’s not attracting many people anymore,” she said.

The location would also draw more customers to Great Escape, Dumas said.

“It’s closer to the road. It’s attractive. Passersby will see it as an attraction,” he said.

Planning Board Chairman Stephen Traver asked Great Escape representatives to consider not putting lights on the ride, to minimize sights on Glen Lake. They refused.

A ride without lights would be “dark and gloomy,” Smith said.

“I think it is just in Six Flags’ best interest to have theming lights,” she said.

She noted that often the park closes before dark. Generally, lights are only on during Fright Fest, she said.

Traver pressed for compromise, asking if the ride could be moved. But Smith said the only location in Ghost Town where the ride height was allowed has already been taken by another ride. She noted the ride was only 20 feet from the zone in which it would be allowed.

Residents were not persuaded, saying the ride could be placed in other parts of the park outside of Ghost Town.

“Why should Glen Lake suffer from bad planning?” said Paul McPhillips, president of the Glen Lake Protective Association.

Others noted that the balloons floated for the 2001 study led to a limit of 135 feet in the area where the ride is proposed. That’s 30 feet lower than the ride.

“Their study clearly shows we will see this ride from nearly the whole lake,” said resident Paul Derby. “There are two other zones in the park you can put this ride. … (The Planning Board) should deny this application and the applicant should put it in an area of the park where it’s allowed.”

Some residents worried that if the ride is allowed, it would open the door to more changes to the Environmental Impact Statement.

“The next one’s going to be, ‘Oh, it’s only 10 feet higher,’” said resident David Doster. “This will be in our direct view. I don’t want to look toward the sunset and see this whirly going through.”

Dumas argued that trees have grown in the last 20 years and the ride would be barely noticeable. Engineer Frank Palumbo added that the ride would be so small, with space for just four seats on each end, that people probably could not see it.

Planning Board members asked for a new balloon float, saying it would be ideal to fly a balloon the same size as the proposed seating area.

But Palumbo said that would require “a very large balloon” and that it would be hard to notify everyone and fly a balloon during a window of good weather. He added that the Planning Board should not deny the application because of a balloon test.

“Just saying the balloon can be seen so there is an impact is maybe too quick a judgment,” he said.

He asked the board to “measure the severity of the impact” and decide on that basis.

The board tabled the proposal until Nov. 26, at which Great Escape representatives will provide “additional visual analysis” but not necessarily a balloon flight. The company must also provide detailed information about the lighting on the ride, the colors, the hours of operation and the volume level of the music played on it.

In the meantime, Traver said the board will study the Environmental Impact Statement from 2001 to see whether the ride is breaking the rules.

“We all have a lot of homework to do,” he said. “The public comment kind of speaks for itself. This is in the zone — it appears to be in the zone that has a limit of 135 feet.”

^I hope they will be able to reach a compromise, Ghost Town desperately needs this new ride. Obviously regulations are regulations but considering ADK Outlaw is basically just a long, thin arm I'm having a hard time seeing how it would be such an annoyance to local residents, from Glenn Lake they would probably barely be able to see it.