TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone heard any rumors about Dollywood 2020? We may be in the are for Easter and wondered what would be new. Also may be scouting the staff for a retirement home

Crickets. But I’d expect them to announce SOMETHING before 2020 season passes go on sale. They did this in early Nov 2017 when they announced the “Season of Showstoppers” for 2018 which featured concerts and upgraded festivals.

So I am at the park now and waits are around 30 minutes or so but the park just seems packed. I had no idea “Fall Break” was going on... the whole Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area has been uncomfortably busy all week. Lightning Rod just reopened so I need to head there and they did not punch my TimeSaver card at DragonFlier or FireChaser so two free Lightning Rod rides I guess!

So I am at the park now and waits are around 30 minutes or so but the park just seems packed. I had no idea “Fall Break” was going on... the whole Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area has been uncomfortably busy all week.

It was like that Tuesday. Lot was really full but lines for coasters were generally short. Some showed longer on app/displays than they really were too.

while the area was busy (traffic) certainly not like Thanksgiving week or July.

Sure hoping they put Season Tickets on sale soon. Already pre-booked our trip there second weekend of Smoky Mountain Christmas with the intention of buying 2020 Season Pass and getting rest of this year free (as in years past). No reason I guess to believe they wouldn't offer that again..

Welcome to Dollywood. Lots of days the lot will be fairly full. Park paths will be fairly crowded and slow moving. But, the coasters will still be minimal waits unless it's named Dragonflier or Firechaser. Other exception would be a one train LR.

This is true most of the time except end of the school year with all the band trips. On those days the kids will be on the coasters.

Edited by tndank

Sure hoping they put Season Tickets on sale soon. Already pre-booked our trip there second weekend of Smoky Mountain Christmas with the intention of buying 2020 Season Pass and getting rest of this year free (as in years past). No reason I guess to believe they wouldn't offer that again..

I think I'll be there that same weekend to get use out of my season pass for this year.

Welcome to Dollywood. Lots of days the lot will be fairly full. Park paths will be fairly crowded and slow moving. But, the coasters will still be minimal waits unless it's named Dragonflier or Firechaser. Other exception would be a one train LR.

Dragonflier peaked at 60 minutes according to the app earlier. I’m surprised they don’t have two trains for it even though it is rather short. Fire chaser was 35 minutes. Thank goodness for Time Saver!

Had my first ride on Lightning Rod despite doctors saying I should not be riding these “extreme” coasters. Is it wrong of me to say I liked LR better than Steel vengeance? To me, Lightning Rod packs in most of the cool elements (outward turns, crazy airtime) of SV but does it in a more compact package that doesn’t seem to drag on. I am going back tonight for the pumpkin illumination event and am hoping it is still running for a night ride.

Dollywood is still my favorite park. It really is the friendliest place in the Smokies. Now I will return to picking the bits of coal out of my hair from the train!

Dragonflier peaked at 60 minutes according to the app earlier. I’m surprised they don’t have two trains for it even though it is rather short.

Previously discussed. Brake run is in station. 2 trains would have been a huge redesign vs a minor layout change (the tunnel?) to a stock ride.

Crickets. But I’d expect them to announce SOMETHING before 2020 season passes go on sale. They did this in early Nov 2017 when they announced the “Season of Showstoppers” for 2018 which featured concerts and upgraded festivals.

We will still go and buy annual passes, but I was hopeful for something new. I will they’d bring the bubble lady back for the Festival of Nations

Is it wrong of me to say I liked LR better than Steel vengeance? To me, Lightning Rod packs in most of the cool elements (outward turns, crazy airtime) of SV but does it in a more compact package that doesn’t seem to drag on.

It's never "wrong" for anybody to state their personal opinion and preference in roller coasters! That's the beauty of this subjective hobby! For instance, as much as I love LR, and consider it a Top 10 coaster, it's not only behind SV (which I prefer in part BECAUSE it's not so short, and seems to go on forever), it's behind Twisted Timbers in my RMC rankings! And that doesn't make me "wrong" either. Different strokes for different folks. LR is really great though, and Dollywood as a whole is a fantastic park!

^ That's the point of opinions. Even if I think a random SLC is awful, someone has a right to like it more than Steel Vengeance.

That being said, I also think Lightning Rod is better than Steel Vengeance. The relentless pacing that gets wilder as the ride progresses combined with the mountain setting makes the ride for me.

LR is just too short for it to get any higher in my rankings. I love what's there, but it's like the ultimate cock-tease... Just when it gets going, it hits the breaks. It's an amazing ride, and Top 10 still isn't shabby! But I prefer my coasters to be relentlessly paced, and then once they get going, keep going, like SV. That's what makes a coaster perfect for my taste! The mountain setting of LR is fantastic though, and night rides are amazing!

I think I'll be there that same weekend to get use out of my season pass for this year.

Okay! We'll be there Saturday and Sunday in the park, so feel free to hit me up and we can grab a few rides together!

And to add to this discussion, my top three woodies are SV, LR, and Phoenix (I believe in that order). It is tough for me compare Phoenix to the other two, because I could sit on it all day every day for the rest of my life and it would be just as fun every time, whereas I would get absolutely WORN riding LR or SV more than a few times in a row. I think LR's quadruple down thing is a better element than anything on SV, but yeah... it is definitely shorter, so SV gets the nod (though I've only been on it once and LR 20-30 times).

Dragonflier peaked at 60 minutes according to the app earlier. I’m surprised they don’t have two trains for it even though it is rather short.

Previously discussed. Brake run is in station. 2 trains would have been a huge redesign vs a minor layout change (the tunnel?) to a stock ride.

And as CB previously discussed, was a miss from the park imo. There’s no reason that short little family coaster should have a 60 min wait. The payoff just isn’t there.

You do realize that the Water Moccasin and Cottonmoith are one in the same? Take it from someone that goes to war with them on a frequent basis. AnD yes, there's a water snake that is often mistaken for them. It's all about the head or when the pit viper of the two opens that white mouth and that means you are too damn close. There'd plenty of Eastern Diamondbacks over in East Tenn too.

Thank You! Yesterday, on our first trip to Dollywood we were crossing the bridge from Jukebox Junction to Rivertown Junction. There are ducks in the "River" that was not even about six inches deep. We stopped for a second to see the ducks- immediately noticed a snake swirling in the water instead- honestly about two feet long. I assumed it was a copperhead. So did the two other visitors from Florida who commented it was like having alligators still at Disney. We went on the River Ride, other water rides, but it was obvious the Snake was swimming further into the Park headed somewhere. I do not know what kind it was now- but can tell you that I wouldn't know what to do if I was bitten or my Son. They honestly should have a sign and better fencing to keep us out and advise of the problem, because another man had a stroller and it is easy for a toddler to wander to feed the ducks, etc. The entire time I was on the River Ride or any ride, the thought that the Snake had friends and family was in my mind. I kept telling myself hopefully the Park didn't drain its ride water out or into where we saw the snake. I personally would have liked to have notice of this. Especially because my son has autism, the bridge isn't high, and you do not expect a snake in a theme park- especially after paying a good amount for entry.

We are staying at the Resort also- again a lot if money and supposedly 4 star rated. Last night, (after the Halloween Display and Park closed) so probably 11pm, I told my Son to come to the window to see how pretty the view was of the pool. I saw a rat. My Dad is from NYC and these are "Brooklyn Cats". It definitely was not a possum! Then, my Son could not see that one- which was a good sized rat. He instead pointed to the path- a darker rat was running down the path. We named him "Rizzo" from the muppets. But, these rats were on the paths, in the shrubs, and the resort serves food. I would not want to walk barefoot at the pool where a large rat had been. These were NYC sized- size of a baby possum. Not mice. Has anyone else seen rats at the Resort?

Now that I can confirm the Snake at the Dollywood Park, I no longer feel like an idiot!

And as CB previously discussed, was a miss from the park imo. There’s no reason that short little family coaster should have a 60 min wait. The payoff just isn’t there.

Not disagreeing, though I expect once the new wears off it'll be more reasonable. Then again, FCE still has long waits and it runs 3 trains.

But we don't know what the OEM said regarding such a change. Mayne they weren't interested in doing it? Or said not feasible. Or just way more than DW wanted to pay.

We can look and think it would be simple. but maybe we're unaware of some factors.

We can randomly say it would be worth $xx to make the change. But don't know the resource allocation and competing priorities.

I'm not convinced a 2nd train would improve throughput that much. It's a short ride and I don't think enough of the unload/load cycle would complete to make much difference.

The shorter models say 650/hr, though one 395m version says 750/hr. With 20/train that's 32 cycles per hour, less than 2 min per cycle. 750/hr would be 1.48/cycle and that's about all I think a 2nd train would manage.

For comparison FCE is listed at 750/hr with 14 riders per train and 3 trains running.

It's been a week since my visit, so I guess I should share my thoughts on the park that is still my favorite overall amusement park.

- I sincerely hope Blazing Fury isn't removed anytime soon. I know it takes up a good chunk of land, but the ride is a classic and is so much fun. "Fire in the hole" indeed!

- Lightning Rod blew my expectations away. It was sooooo smooth and insanely fast, and that quadruple down at the end is absolutely crazy when it comes to airtime. I really shouldn't have ridden this per doctor's orders, but I was in the park, I had TimeSaver, and it was running... so I checked off credit #250 with a pretty good ride!

- More parks should follow Dollywood's lead with the Wildwood Grove concept. Families really seemed to enjoy being able to experience attractions with their children rather than having to leave the kiddies in the Parent Swap area!

- The employees at Dollywood are truly the best of any park I have been to.

- Dollywood's train is an amazing experience. I wish that it ran more often (it was on an hourly schedule between noon and 8) as you'd probably find me on board several times a day, and then picking the bits of coal out of my hair and eyes.

- FireChaser Express rules. I don't know why I like this ride so much, but its unique layout, mini-launches and "what's in the shed?" moment make for a fantastically fun ride. Thank goodness for TimeSaver here as the line clocked in at 75 minutes per the app.

- The only negative I can give the park is that crowd control through the "Great Pumpkin LumiNights" area was a total cluster. Despite announcements over the park's PA system and signs up everywhere to enter at the Craftsmen Valley section of the park, half of the park was of course going through the opposite way, resulting in an area that was almost impossible to navigate. The pumpkin displays were awesome, but dealing with thousands of people all going in different directions was not.

Finally, I need to make sure I mention to anyone visiting the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area that you simply must make a stop at Earthquake The Ride in Gatlinburg. I haven't laughed so hard at an attraction in a long time, and I had ridden Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride the day before. Shaking and crumbling support beams, crashing into another subway train, alligators and giant snakes attack, an ape (!) breaks free of his cage (seriously, WTF?), and a swarm of rats wind up onboard with you. It's $10 well spent if you like good silly fun.