TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Return run was great in August with all the new wood and IPE wood as the top two layers. The spaghetti bowl turnaround was probably the worst part, but not nearly as bad as I've experienced in years past with others parts of the ride. I'll say they've done an outstanding job the last 2 years with the re-tracked sections. I really think their maintenance team has benefited from working with the GCI crew on Legend in 2016 in terms of how they build their track now.

When I rode The Voyage in July, aside from a moment or two in the spaghetti bowl, it didn’t feel any rougher than average for a wooden coaster. Still nice to see them maintaining it well, even if it means closing it for the season early.

I wonder how much longer Holiday World is going to pour money into maintaining Voyage season after season before developing a long-term solution like topper track or even prefabricated wood. It would still keep the classic wooden coaster feel while significantly cutting maintenance costs (I assume). And like Canobie Coaster said, the old-to-new track would flow seamlessly and would only be necessary on the most intense parts of the ride.

Another example is Roller Coaster at Lagoon. Obviously that ride is no where near as tall, fast, or intense as Voyage, but there are a few spots on that coaster with topper track (or something very similar) and it works wonderfully.

They’d still have two of those at Holiday World if Voyage got some sort of RMC treatment. The time and money the park would save to not have to do such extensive work on Voyage every season could be spent to keep Raven and Legend in tip-top shape more consistently.

They'll never RMC it. Remember, the people who now own the park, their dad, Will Koch was a co-designer of that ride and they consider it to be his masterpiece. Lets give them a chance to continue to re-track the ride like they have been doing so over the past years, because what they've been doing has worked tremendously in my opinion. They've only re-tracked 1500 feet the 6,442 feet in the last two years, so they definitely have more to do.

Oh and to RMC this ride, it would cost them upwards of 25 million or more to do it (when compared to SV price tag). It would have to be the biggest coaster RMC has ever created to this point. They would already have the worlds longest Hybrid coaster, but to even get the tallest and fastest from BG, they would have to add 53 feet to the lift (It would make the ride 223 feet tall with a 207 foot drop!) which is probably around what they'll need to just complete the layout. If you haven't noticed, they haven't spent more than 7 million in a year since Thundebird, so the chances of it happening are slim.

I love Voyage how it is, a traditional wooden-tracked coaster. The trains are great, too; can be rough, but gives you a real roller coaster ride. My last rough ride on Voyage was 2011; it gets it's spots every year, no biggie.

When they built Voyage, they probably knew how much it would cost to maintain and willing to do that in order to have such a unique, awesome and popular, coaster.

I don't even think Voyage is the roughest coaster in the park- Raven has always been consistently rougher on all of my visits, especially towards the end.

I think they're all uncomfortable. I actually hate Legend. Like hate. Raven jack hammered the shit out of me on my last two visits. Voyage is one of those pain vs. please scenarios, but after a ride or two I'm tapped out. If they sold beer I'd probably be all about Voyage.

This park is only three hours away from me. I never go. I pass by several times a year for KI or other parks.

For me, Holiday World is where I can ride a great ride like Thunderbird. When I'm not doing that I can get the shit kicked out of me by all three of their wooden coasters or wait shirtless in hour long lines for water coasters when I'm not wading elbow to elbow in the wave pool. It would be more of a fun place to grab a couple beers, but again...

Everyone raves about the Thanksgiving dinner. No doubt, it's pretty good. But to call it delicious like so many do is a little overstated. The soft drinks are wasted on me, because one I treat myself to my one park Coke/Pepsi I'm all about water.

Holiday World is a nice little park and it's exceptionally clean and friendly. People love it, but it's not my cup of tea. Sometimes I think about going, but it's just not worth my time since KK is an hour away and KI is about two hours away. I wished I liked it more. I'm willing to bet my opinion will change drastically when and if we have a kid.

Honorable mention to Gobbler's Getaway as being awesome.

I don't even think Voyage is the roughest coaster in the park- Raven has always been consistently rougher on all of my visits, especially towards the end.

I think they're all uncomfortable. I actually hate Legend. Like hate. Raven jack hammered the shit out of me on my last two visits.

I haven't ridden Legend since it got re-tracked, but I sure did dislike it before. Not sure if I'd go to the point of hate, but not far off. I also thought Raven was overrated, and a bit rougher than I expected.

However, I absolutely love The Voyage, and consider it my favorite Wooden coaster at the moment! I know it's not "smooth", but at least on all of my rides on it (admittedly taken earlier in the season), I've found the roughness to be very tolerable, and the ride delivered to be wild, crazy, and intense in all the right ways!

I visited HW on June 22nd(along with KK) and I loved the Voyage. Didn’t think it was rough at all but not perfectly smooth either. As for the other woodies I enjoyed the Raven more than the Legend. Heck I’d say even Thunder Road was better than the Legend. What killed my ride on the Legend was that helix towards the end. There was just way too much jackhammering during it.

Just like the Beast thought there’s no way the Voyage is ever going to get the RMC treatmeant. I think at the most they should switch the PTC trains to either the timberliners(like they had originally planned to do) or millennium flyers.

Ah, another chapter in the books for Voyage. What a fascinating history. I'm sure the locals aren't happy about it being closed since that's one of 5 major attractions closed for the rest of the year on top of the water park now being closed.

I wonder what they're going to do differently to help it sustain a smoother ride season long. I've only been to HW in May so I have great memories of the Voyage and only hope for the best, whatever the solution may be.

It's not just Legend's jack hammering that makes me hate it. The laterals are brutal, too. The first couple of trips I took Raven was pretty smooth and really fun without being too intense. On my last two trips it wasn't crazy rough, but too uncomfortable to enjoy.

I'm sure the locals aren't happy about it being closed since that's one of 5 major attractions closed for the rest of the year on top of the water park now being closed.

Yes and no. For me it's a yes. I had a trip planned for the 26th of October centered around getting night rides on The Voyage. Now I'm planning on going to Kings Island. The GP locals probably aren't that concerned about it. Having been to HW's Halloween event, it's really a glorified pumpkin patch to me. The GP eats that crap up. Last year, The Raven lot was full and half of The Legend lot was full. That corn maze and kids activity stuff they put together sucked the capacity right out of the rides. The longest wait was in the morning for Raven right at opening and that was 25 mins. Everything else was 10 or less. Since it was only families mostly, they all left before sundown and every coaster was a walk-on from 6-8 pm.

Which is a shame, because a decade ago, Legend and Raven were both smooth and re-rideable. Voyage was so-so. Maintaining 12,000+ feet of wooden coaster track is no easy task. I really wish something besides pouring money into standard wooden coaster maintenance would be done to Voyage that would allow the park to have three good woodies rather than three one-and-done woodies (in a lot of people’s opinions).

When we visited I thought Legend and raven were fine. Voyage on the other hand was the roughest coaster I have ever experienced. I am hoping to check this park out again. It was a dark thunderstorm day we went and we were underwhelmed. We went the day after Kentucky Kingdom which was a beautiful sunny day. Holiday World had a short dark gloomy day. I love gravity group and really need to give Voyage a second chance

Voyage is probably my favorite conventional wood track coaster. (El Toro has better airtime but the plug and play track is different ...). I also like the setting in the forest and the topography. I've only ridden it in the springtime on wet days and it wasn't rough then.

If RMC was brought in perhaps they could install topper track on some hard-to-maintain sections. It doesn't seem to need a full I Box redesign and I doubt the park would do that (sentimental and budgetary reasons).

Tremors at Silverwood has two topper track sections that are impossible to notice during the ride unless you're watching closely from the front seat. A relatively cheap fix, I presume. Spendy up front but not much maintenance once installed? And much cheaper than full RMCing a wood coaster.

I only had one ride on Raven and Legend but you would have had to pay me to ride either of them again.

Raven can't be that bad now. Sure it's been over 10 years since I last rode it, but it was one of the best coasters I've been on. Unless it got Villain/Mean Streak/Boss/Ghostrider/Cyclone rough I don't see how it could possibly be that bad.