TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

Sure, its no where near the best... in order to be the best, I would have to appeal to everyone. The one thing that it does better than the others - being bigger, faster, and meaner than the other inverts by a large margin - is also what makes it so "rough" in some people's eyes. Only Banshee has such comparable stats, but I haven't ridden it yet so I'm going to make no comment on it.

Alpengiest is far from perfect, but it's my favorite invert. Its little imperfections, like the jarring snappiness in the cobra roll and into the MCBR that makes the whole train feel like it needs its bolts checked and the super intense vibrations (ie what most people equate as "roughness") are what I love about it, all combined with the height, the speed, the placement, and the theming are what I lose so much about the ride.

As for coasters that really deserve more discussion than they get here, my votes go to Storm Runner, and the wooden trio at SFSTL Storm Runner is not necessarily underrated, but doesn't get much talk here. The Boss kicks ass from the start, with an awesome double down first drop through a long tunnel of structure, into another great drop off the MCBR, and a final dive into the structure at the beginning of the return leg. The whole return leg is pretty good, with a series of airtime hills leading to the 570 helix, and the double up out of the helix is awesome as well. Eagle is a ton of fun and I love how secluded it is in the woods and how it follows the terrain so well. The second, not first hill, is the tallest on the ride, so you get pretty good airtime going over the first hill and the second provides a great drop into the wooded section. American Thunder is my favorite GCI because I think it has the best pacing out of the ones i've been on, a ton of fast and low airtime hills, and a lot of good crossovers (with the one under the transfer track being the best).

Overall, the more I think about it, the less I think SFStL lacks something. It doesn't have a signature steel coaster, but Batman, Mr Freeze, and the woodie trio make up for absence of something like a hyper. Its a more-well rounded park than some parks with a hyper coaster to say the least.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me as one for the Alpengeist fan club. It can't touch Katun or Nemesis, but I put it over everything else. The first half is just amazing.

Storm Runner is in my top 5 still after all these years, so I hear you ^. I rank it way better than most do.

• 1 year later...

Grizzly at Kings Dominion was a pleasant surprise for me. This ride doesn’t get much attention and doesn’t look like anything special but it had some great ejector air and laterals, and it wasn’t any rougher than your typical wooden coaster.

Grizzly at Kings Dominion was a pleasant surprise for me. This ride doesn’t get much attention and doesn’t look like anything special but it had some great ejector air and laterals, and it wasn’t any rougher than your typical wooden coaster.

Its on my top 10 wooden list for a reason.

Back row, I got some pretty sick air on it and it does throw you around but yes not in an OTT way, nor did I find it very rough at all, but my tolerance is also higher than many, even back in the day when people seemed capable of handling more than one slight rattle in one turn without whining its rough Also it's tree coverage is a nice addition. It may not be the most hidden, zoom through the woods coaster but it certainly gets the feeling.

Great underrated coaster for sure.

I'd say much of the same about another underrated wooden coaster... Viper at Six Flags Great America! Big fan of that ride after my first time at the park. It was actually my favorite coaster there by a wide margin.

You’re all going to think I’m god damn crazy but Millennium Force. For all the shit this ride gets for being a boring, rattly, forceless pile of garbage, I got the absolute opposite on my rides. It does rattle definitely, but the drop is insane, the first overbank is nothing short of insane, the speed is jaw dropping, and to even my surprise, very good airtime. I loved it and I still am firmly in the camp of it still being one of the best coasters on the planet.

I found Georgia Scorcher to be incredibly underrated after my unpleasant experiences on Green Lantern and Apocalypse, it was probably one of the biggest surprises of my trip down to SFOG last December. I also find Gemini, Vortex at Kings Island and Sooperdooperlooper to be underrated as well.

I found Georgia Scorcher to be incredibly underrated after my unpleasant experiences on Green Lantern and Apocalypse, it was probably one of the biggest surprises of my trip down to SFOG last December. I also find Gemini, Vortex at Kings Island and Sooperdooperlooper to be underrated as well.

Exactly! One of the best layouts around and it should be cloned all over the place.

Back in 2013 I really liked Apocalypse at SFMM. My tune would probably change today because time hasn't done it any favors, but I thought it was fun then.

I really like Apocalypse, as well. After its recent retracking, it's much smoother.

I love SDL, the loop is fantastic and the helix at the end is pretty darn good as well.

What about Great Nor'Easter at Morey's Piers?

At first people would think, "oh no, it's an SLC", but from what I've read, after the re-tracking and new cars, it's a good ride

Great Nor'Easter is a really good ride, and even apart from the far smoother track, it's layout is more fun than other SLCs just for the way it weaves through other structures at the park. Definitely the best of it's kind by far.

• 1 year later...

I think that Pinfari Zyklons can be overhated. When done right (like at the Maryland State fair the past couple years), they're actually quite fun. The one at the fair two-car 8 person trains with cushy seats and one-position buzz bars. On the two drops, you can actually get borderline stand up floater that's actually kinda awesome. The rest of the ride is smooth and comfortable if uninteresting, and it finishes with a flat turn that gives some solid laterals.

Anyone know of any other zyklons like this?

^ I rode it last week, and I totally agree with you! I never rode it before the refurb, but afterward,

first at WCB in 2016, you could see the locals really enjoying the ride. With relief, lol.

IMG_0880.thumb.JPG.88a494800b4c37a3ee95ed8c4097d7be.JPG

They looked happy on it. Sept.08/19.

IMG_0913.thumb.JPG.aed8e00b16851ef322347705c20e42c9.JPG

One of the last rides of that day. Sept.08/19.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Batman The Ride clones have become very underrated. I've had enthusiast friends recently say things like they're "rough" and "sucky" and some even say "boring" but the one at SFGAm in specific has been HAULING ASS this year, with some forces on the level of Raptor and nearly countering the likes of Montu and Nemesis. Just because something is cloned doesn't mean it's bad.

Ghostrider. Not entirely underrated, but I believe the vast majority of people that haven’t ridden it since the refurb just don’t appreciate how good it is. EASILY top 10 stuff.

I agree GhostRider is amazing. I feel like it'll be hurt in polls for a while since a lot will vote for it pre-refurb.

^I completely agree. I would argue that Fahrenheit (and even Storm Runner) are the most underrated coasters I have ever ridden.

Agreed 100%!! Stormrunner is AMAZING!!! That launch is still one of my favorites, and I love the crazy on-ride photo setup with the tons of cameras lol!

Fahrenheit is awesome too! I love the vertical lift, into the beyond vertical drop with the awesome Norwegian loop! Such a great ride!