TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Southern California trip

Hey all, I’m planning a trip to So. Cal for New Years. The plan is to spend 2 days at Knott’s and SFMM each, and go to the rose bowl. I think I have a solid game plan but if I’m overlooking something I’d like to know.

I’m planning on flying into John Wayne on the 29th and spending the 30th and 31st at Knott’s , rose bowl on the 1st, and then Magic mountain on the 2nd and 3rd. Fly back on the 4th from LAX.

I’m planning on using Uber to get around. I’ve heard of LA traffic my whole life and have no desire to rent a car and drive in it. But if you can think of a reason why I should I’d like to hear it. And I’d also like any recommendations on places to stay if you have any.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to consider is that both of those parks tend to be insanely packed around New Year's. Magic Mountain even reached capacity on Dec. 30 last year.

Personally, I'm avoiding those parks like the plague around that time, but if you still decide to go, definitely budget for Fast Lane and Flash Pass.

Hey all, I’m planning a trip to So. Cal for New Years. The plan is to spend 2 days at Knott’s and SFMM each, and go to the rose bowl. I think I have a solid game plan but if I’m overlooking something I’d like to know.

I’m planning on flying into John Wayne on the 29th and spending the 30th and 31st at Knott’s , rose bowl on the 1st, and then Magic mountain on the 2nd and 3rd. Fly back on the 4th from LAX.

I’m planning on using Uber to get around. I’ve heard of LA traffic my whole life and have no desire to rent a car and drive in it. But if you can think of a reason why I should I’d like to hear it. And I’d also like any recommendations on places to stay if you have any.

Thanks!

LA Traffic is worse during the week days rush hour traffic. It may take 90-120 minutes to go from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica, which should take like 15 minutes top. On the weekends, you get some stop and go traffic, but you can generally get around. It may take like 60 minutes to go 30 miles. Traffic is generally worse as the day goes on during the weekend. The Rose Bowl will be a challenge to get in and out of. The traffic & Parking will be a challenge. You also have the rose bowl parade which is a huge deal as well. You have option to get in and out of the Knott's area. Six Flags Magic Mountain is easy to get in and out of. On the last night I would stay as close to LAX as possible. A lot of construction is happening at LAX and if it is busy it could take 30 minutes just to get dropped off.

Your other problem as people have discuss is how busy the parks will be. Knott's is always busy, but during the holidays it just increases. Six Flags Magic Mountain hit capacity last year on the 30th. That means like 2.5-3 hour wait for X2. You go during a non-peak time and X2 is a walk on. I don't think this year will be any different and if West Coast Racers opens in November it will just add to it. Plan to buy Fast Lane and Fast Passes as you will need these.

Uber is not a magic carpet around traffic, that 3-hours-to-go-15-miles will still take just as long, you just won't be driving it - instead you'll be paying an exorbitant amount to your driver. If you don't mind $100+ Uber trips (I may be exaggerating), more power to you.

Ok, it doesn't sound like you do want to hear any reasons why you should rent a car. Have fun on your trip.

Actually I do, because if there’s a reason that trumps why I don’t want to I’d like to hear it.

One thing to consider is that both of those parks tend to be insanely packed around New Year's. Magic Mountain even reached capacity on Dec. 30 last year.

Personally, I'm avoiding those parks like the plague around that time, but if you still decide to go, definitely budget for Fast Lane and Flash Pass.

Yes I definitely am getting those. I do it for every new park I visit. I’ll be there on weekdays so I hope the parks aren’t near capacity...

Thanks!

LA Traffic is worse during the week days rush hour traffic. It may take 90-120 minutes to go from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica, which should take like 15 minutes top. On the weekends, you get some stop and go traffic, but you can generally get around. It may take like 60 minutes to go 30 miles. Traffic is generally worse as the day goes on during the weekend. The Rose Bowl will be a challenge to get in and out of. The traffic & Parking will be a challenge. You also have the rose bowl parade which is a huge deal as well. You have option to get in and out of the Knott's area. Six Flags Magic Mountain is easy to get in and out of. On the last night I would stay as close to LAX as possible. A lot of construction is happening at LAX and if it is busy it could take 30 minutes just to get dropped off.

Your other problem as people have discuss is how busy the parks will be. Knott's is always busy, but during the holidays it just increases. Six Flags Magic Mountain hit capacity last year on the 30th. That means like 2.5-3 hour wait for X2. You go during a non-peak time and X2 is a walk on. I don't think this year will be any different and if West Coast Racers opens in November it will just add to it. Plan to buy Fast Lane and Fast Passes as you will need these.

Ok based on what you said maybe I’ll just fly out of Bob Hope. I know it will be busy at the parks but I just want somewhere to go during my Christmas break from school, and I’m planning on going to Florida for spring.

Uber is not a magic carpet around traffic, that 3-hours-to-go-15-miles will still take just as long, you just won't be driving it - instead you'll be paying an exorbitant amount to your driver. If you don't mind $100+ Uber trips (I may be exaggerating), more power to you.

Right. I want to relax in traffic. I wonder how much it would be to rent a helicopter???

It really isn't any more stressful to drive here if you can accept the fact that you might average 30 miles per hour and have a GPS driving program with realtime traffic like Google or Apple Maps / Waze. I drive 20,000 miles per year on Southern California roads and they aren't really different than any other major city. You will save some money by not paying for parking at 5 places if you take Uber but the trips could be expensive going across town. The only other option is Metrolink and Metro but you wanted stress free travel, so they would not apply with their holiday schedules

I'm originally from Ohio and I really don't mind SoCal roads. While they are slightly more stressful than Ohio(likely the least stressful place to drive), it's not bad to the point where I would pay for a $100+ Uber over renting a car. Just have a GPS on hand and you should be totally fine.