TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Construction of St. Louis Wheel underway at Union Station

https://www.kmov.com/news/story-ferris-wheel-coming-to-downtown-st-louis-this-summer/article_ccbae77c-2f22-11e9-a502-f3950e897afc.html

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) --

Plans are moving full-steam ahead for a Ferris wheel at Union Station in downtown St. Louis.

The city previously approved a $3.3 million building permit. Standing 200-feet tall, it will be called The St. Louis Wheel.

It will also feature 42 climate-controlled gondolas, each capable of seating six adults.

Rides will last about 15 minutes and will include three to four rotations, the height of which being 20 stories above the city streets.

One of those gondolas will offer a VIP experience with leather bucket seats, a stereo system, and a glass door.

Earlier in the year, officials said it would open this summer but later said the wheel would open in October.

The Ferris wheel will be open 365 days a year.

The St. Louis Wheel is expected to begin operating in October, while the St. Louis Aquarium should open in late 2019.

5c635f60a1fc6.image.jpg.9e0b03c23ea45ccccbb24a222577c8a1.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh awesome! I was skeptical of this at first since Union Station hasn't lived up to the promise of the first renovation. But glad they're doing this. We'll support it when it's finished.

Agree, I plan to take my family out to it once it opens (and hopefully not crowded)

Now what would it take them to strap a coaster to the side?

Hopefully this helps....Last time I was at Union Station there wasn't much in there. I think I Pricelined a room at the Hotel for like $50.

Last time I was there, it was in pretty bad shape, mall was like a ghost town. The only highlight in recent years is when they started to do Polar Express Excursion trips, that was a fun thing to do with the family. I hope they keep on doing Excursion trips, that with the Aquarium and Ferris Wheel, sounds like a fun filled day.

• 1 month later...

^ Haha, yeah the planning definitely started with "What can we do with Union Station?" and not "Where should we put a Ferris wheel?" This should have excellent views of a double stacked freeway and a giant rail yard. Ooh, and for the next couple of years, a huge construction zone as MoDOT rebuilds all of the I-64 exits around there for better access to the new NGA campus.

https://www.modot.org/i-64-jefferson-interchange