TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

I saw this Coaster in construction 2 weeks ago. Nice placement- looks fun-definitely looks like a GCI. It sure doesn't look more than 180 ft. high but looks can be deceiving. It should be a nice addition to the Park.

I visited this Park on a Saturday two weeks ago. It was a very hot August day. Right before school starts so I expected a large crowd. The crowd size was a minor annoyance. It is Texas in August so the heat was expected. What was not expected was the performance of the Park. My visit mostly sucked in many ways. The shows were good. The way Sea World handles crowds before and after shows sucks. Operations were very slow. Food stands were slow. The park ran out of ice at 3:00. Many stands had no ice and hope of more.... In August, in Texas. The excuse was "well it is a very busy day". OK, but didn't you expect a large crowd on a Saturday right before school starts? Not the fault of the Teens working the stands- this was a management issue. I did register a complaint to a manager. I was polite. He said he appreciated the feedback.

I will go back on a less crowded day and try them again. Visited Fiesta Texas on Sunday- completely different story. Jeffery Siebert must be awesome. I will report on that trip in the Fiesta Texas thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I was just looking at the SEAS Platinum annual pass for next year, and was wondering if it was usually that ridiculously low if purchased from this park? It's nearly a third the price of the annual pass if purchased from BGT/SWO.

Also, I assume I could easily spend a morning at ZDT before staying until close at SeaWorld San Antonio?

The pass is that ridiculously cheap at SWSA. We used ours for admission last night at BGW and got preferred parking included, even though an email from SWSA said preferred parking was only included at SWSA. We are going to test food and merch discounts today.

Hey, I was just looking at the SEAS Platinum annual pass for next year, and was wondering if it was usually that ridiculously low if purchased from this park? It's nearly a third the price of the annual pass if purchased from BGT/SWO.

Also, I assume I could easily spend a morning at ZDT before staying until close at SeaWorld San Antonio?

Interesting about the Platinum Pass pricing as SeaWorld San Antonio has changed policy on this a few times over the past 8 years. I had a San Antonio Pass from 2009 - 2012 when it was around $225 for a two-year Platinum pass. I did not renew in 2013 was I lost my job and when I looked into it again in 2016 there was a disclaimer that you had to be a Texas resident to buy the Platinum Pass at that price. That disclaimer was still listed last year, but at Least one person on TPR said it was not enforced, and since the disclaimer it not there right now they must have changed approaches again. Although the pass does still need to be redeemed at San Antonio first.

The 20% discount was available for food and merch at BGW.

The verbiage about being a resident of Texas to buy a platinum pass does not appear anywhere until after you have paid and received your ticket in email. I contacted Sea World last year when I saw that and they said not to worry about being a NC resident. I processed my pass with no issue at SWSA. And used it Sunday and yesterday for entry and preferred parking at BGW.

• 2 weeks later...

Texas Stingray has been announced. This is all we have from the park so far. No press release yet. I'll update as I get more info....

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Sept. 12, 2019) – Today, SeaWorld San Antonio announced exciting details about Texas Stingray – the soon to be tallest, fastest and longest wooden roller coaster in the state of Texas, set to open in spring 2020. This record-breaking coaster, which will reach a top speed of 55 mph, will be located across from the new Turtle Reef exhibit between Orca Stadium and the Rio Loco river rapids ride.

“Texas Stingray marks a new wave of excitement for SeaWorld,” said SeaWorld San Antonio’s Vice President of General Services Scott Bacon. “We continue to provide new reasons to visit SeaWorld and offer exciting new adventures for our guests with a blend of thrilling rides, family attractions and incredible animal and educational experiences.”

What’s in store for Texas Stingray riders? A breathtaking hundred-foot drop, a sensory-bending hundred-foot tunnel and much more:

TEXAS STINGRAY RIDE STATS

TYPE OF RIDE: Wooden Roller Coaster – Tallest, Fastest and Longest in Texas

SPECIAL FEATURES: 57° first drop and 76° high turns

RIDE LENGTH: 3,379 feet of track

DROP HEIGHTH: 100-ft. drop

MAXIMUM SPEED: 55 mph

MAXIMUM HEIGHTH: 96 feet

TUNNEL: 100 feet

AIRTIME HILLS: 16 airtime hills

MINIMUM RIDER HEIGHT: Riders must be 46 inches or taller

RIDE DURATION: More than two minutes

LOCATION: Spanning the new Turtle Reef exhibit between Orca Stadium and the Rio Loco river rapids ride

RIDE MANUFACTURER: Great Coasters International (GCI)

RIDE OPEN DATE: Spring 2020

Edited by robbalvey

I *really* like the name, and the layout (at least what's shown) for Texas Stingray.

it's been many, many years since I've been to SWSA (probably more than 20 at this point). . this most certainly makes me want to visit, and possibly buy a season pass to the park.

cannot WAIT for this, it's got me very excited - possibly even more so than the new 2020 ride at SFFT!