TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

...wow. I was expecting there to be more information on the Future World expansion/re-imagining, but there is SO MUCH that came out of left field for me. I mean, a freaking Mary Poppins ride? Spaceship Earth is getting a redo? Guardians of the Galaxy has a REVERSE LAUNCH?!? I mean, this is insane on so many levels, and there's probably still stuff that hasn't been announced. I can't.

...wow. I was expecting there to be more information on the Future World expansion/re-imagining, but there is SO MUCH that came out of left field for me. I mean, a freaking Mary Poppins ride? Spaceship Earth is getting a redo? Guardians of the Galaxy has a REVERSE LAUNCH?!? I mean, this is insane on so many levels, and there's probably still stuff that hasn't been announced. I can't.

I think the Mary Poppins attraction is more of a walkthrough attraction instead of a ride. At least that is how I am understanding the description.

It's really cool how they're better cementing the themes of Future World. The west side has always had more abstract themes (imagination, seas), and the new garden styling will really reflect that. The other half has always been based on more scientific things (motion, energy), and they're keeping the original building there, which backs up those concrete themes.

Theme parks with continuity are great!

I think the Mary Poppins attraction is more of a walkthrough attraction instead of a ride. At least that is how I am understanding the description.

Don't rain on my parade of a trackless dark ride through the Mary Poppins Universe complete with a Lin-Manuel Miranda animatronic!

Don't rain on my parade of a trackless dark ride through the Mary Poppins Universe complete with a Lin-Manuel Miranda animatronic!

That would be amazing!!!!

SO many cool additions to Epcot! Biggest ever show to a Disney park? Space restaurant with views from above Earth? New scenes in Spaceship Earth? Very cool! Can't wait to see how this all turns out. Did I miss something or did they announce when this will all be completed?

Also, the way they are describing Guardians reminds me of Gringott's at Universal, or am I reading/understanding that incorrectly?

Also, the way they are describing Guardians reminds me of Gringott's at Universal, or am I reading/understanding that incorrectly?

I think it's much more Story Telling COASTER than Gringott's is. I mean, Gringott's BARELY counts as a coaster.

I think it's much more Story Telling COASTER than Gringott's is. I mean, Gringott's BARELY counts as a coaster.

Just that strip of Guardians track that was exposed before it was covered up is proof that this will be WAY more of a coaster than Gringott's

All of these updates look incredible. So many updates! I'm aiming to visit WDW in 2020 and Epcot has been climbing the ranks on my 'anticipated parks' list.

Just that strip of Guardians track that was exposed before it was covered up is proof that this will be WAY more of a coaster than Gringott's

All of these updates look incredible. So many updates! I'm aiming to visit WDW in 2020 and Epcot has been climbing the ranks on my 'anticipated parks' list.

Probably not mich is going to change by the time you go. GotG isnt due to open until 2021 for instance.

I'm actually surprised that they are updating Spaceship Earth again. I figure it's probably going to be mostly minor changes (probably to the descent), but I'm not sure how easy it will be to shift the themes from "information / communication" to "storytelling" without more drastic changes to many of the existing show scenes.

Disney never seems to amaze me, parts of Epcot were created back before today's technology and so it's gotta be tough to hit the reset button and come up with ideas for a whole new set of technology that the future maybe like.

I'm loving everything about this update. A lot of thought and care have clearly gone into the planning. Whenthis eventually gets completed, it should be pretty remarkable.

At first I thought the Marry Poppins attraction was a "ride" but if it is a walk through of some sort that could potentially be really cool, and maybe even open much sooner that a full ride.

Also with this and the Moana water walk through I love the idea of there being just more things to do at Epcot that don't require a fastpass or advanced planning. Not knocking the fastpass system but I love just spontaneously wandering around that park and now there are two actual attractions specifically designed just for that, so I love the idea.

NOPE on the spaceship earth remake. I like the original.

Spaceship Earth has been changed a number of times over the years. Which "original" version are you referring to?

As for possible Poppins attraction...I am old and physically tire of walk-throughs, recently.

Rides are so much more fun and better IMhO. And a nice rest from (the heat) walking.

And the tech for them is getting so much better and better (i.e. trackless etc.)

Give me a ride from either movie (could they pull off both in one ride?) and I shall be happy.

MaryPoppins.jpg.dc34ed4b45303f2d32437946470f02b6.jpg

I still love the original. But the new one was really

amazing in scope and vision for continuation of MP.