TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags to operate Frontier City again

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

165’ seems quite tall, but could be be looking at something like the new Fury at Bobbejaanland?

https://rcdb.com/16110.htm

If so, I don't think it would be a Gerstlauer version. I still don't know if Six Flags would work with Gerstlauer (Tantrum was built at Darien Lake before the reacquisition). Maybe it could be something similar, but the Premier version. Something like what SeaWorld is about to put in at SeaWorld Orlando. But here's something to consider: are they going to remove the concert area and/or Diamondback. The area that has the stakes is still fairly small for a coaster, but too big to be most flat rides. I always felt like Diamondback would be the next coaster retired from the park. It is very old and fairly unreliable. The last time I went, DIamondback went down three times in a day, and it stayed down the third time.

^^Why wouldn’t they? Almost every one of their parks has either a Gerstlauer spinning coaster or mouse, and SFOG has Dare Devil Dive.

They haven't worked together since the incident on New Texas Giant at SFOT. Six Flags shifted the blame of the incident to the manufacturer of the cars which was created by Gerstlauer. This was 2013 when it happened.

Anyway, any pics of the site?

I don't have pictures of the site (I live in Springfield and haven't gone since 2017). It's reported that the markets are seen along the back of the concert field, around the back of Winged Warriors over to the Nightmare Mine building, and then going back behind the Quick Draw building. When describing the site, it sounds rather large, but it's actually a pretty small area. Frontier City is very small. It surprises me, but not too much, that Six Flags seems to be making a big investment into the park. I mean, Jim Reid-Anderson has said that he is in love with Frontier City.

The area you have to include possibly the Nightmare Mine Building that is only used seasonally during the Fright Fest. There is rumors of changes to the amphitheater area and the area of the makers. Together all of these things equal a pretty large area. Draw back on this is that 3 rides would have to be and two of them were recently installed in the last 5 years. Winged Warrior and Soaring Eagle. I’ll do some google imaging screen shots today.

Before I head to bed I outlined the markers for Frontier City 2020. The red dots are where I spotted the markers. I outlined the area. Then there is two other spots I figure run from the power station that is in the Building. Looks Like Soaring Eagle will be removed/ or moved for the 2020 attraction. My guesses is the SkyWarp Eclipse or even a small coaster in the area. You can see it is a rectangle shape. Not in a square shape used for a Star Flyer. Will be interesting if the whole section of the park has to be changed for this attraction it makes sense for them to start construction now for 2020. Those markers are indeed for the 2020 attraction. Big news for this small park. I've been calling the project "French Drain" That is what I've been told by the park employees. The stakes have SF2020 165' All kinds of markings in the area on the ground.

706895849_Screenshot(187)_LI.thumb.jpg.2c9db351b4f831206a67119cae1fdabc.jpg

I believe one reason Six Flags would be open to investing in this park is that EPR owns all the land outlined in blue. There’s room for expansion if they so chose to. Now I’m not holding my breath for that to happen but in my opinion Oklahoma City could support a larger theme park. FC desperately needs some thrill rides and a new coaster

C8C506AA-1599-4547-9750-D6F197999B72.thumb.jpeg.e2814d122777366e5cd9b91a24a1d3f8.jpeg

Dang! I didn't realize that Frontier City owned all that land! No wonder Six Flags bought the operating rights to this park. I do see them expanding the park. Like I said before, Jim Reid-Anderson loves the charm of this park, and I do too. It is a small park with smaller coasters, but I spent a whole day from 10am to 9pm at the park, and I was entertained the whole time. An Eclipse would be a smart choice! It's compact, fairly cheap, and could be marketed as a world's first. Plus, being 100ft, it would be one of the tallest rides in the park. However, none of the specifications of the Eclipse fit that 165' stat. Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if they removed Soaring Eagle. It didn't feel like it FIT the park. I'm so excited to see what becomes of the 2020 project. I fell in love with Frontier City when I first visited in 2014, and now I've gone every year since. It is a wonderful park.

Visited this park for this first time during the 4th holidays. Nice small park, but man the coasters suck. Wife and I loved the water area the most as there were no waits for slides.

But I do have one big question for any locals. Does anyone know the history of the abandoned hotel complex just north of the parking lot? Was this a Frontier City hotel at some point? When did it close..etc. It looks like on the map someone posted that it may be owned by frontier city? Thanks

Developing all that land will not be easy due to both zoning and the neighboring communities. They may be able to shift some of that land into parking, then develop on their current parking lot. Really though, as we've seen with plenty of parks, it's all in how you use your existing land vs. having a ton of area to spread out.

The abandoned hotel North of the park had no direct relation to FC that I know of. If FC has acquired that land, it is a recent development. They bought out half the old RV park a few years ago. Their parking area used to be tiny, but they rarely filled it up. These days they fill both the asphalt and the grass area up regularly.

Frontier City does indeed own that old hotel to the north and like Shave The Whales said it was fairly recent 2005 I believe just after they purchased half of the campground. You can see on Google Maps Street View it goes as far back as 2007 shows the Fright Fest Hurst parked under the canopy. They currently use the hotel for storage. This past year I've seen work being done to it like paint and the old sign up front was torn down. Fright Fest Vehicles are parked in the parking lot of the hotel. I can't recall the hotel brand. I say it was a Best Western at one time. Not entirely sure of the hotel. I think it was built in the early 80's.

Also someone reported to me that a couple of weeks ago they saw the doors open on The Nightmare Mine Building and Six Flags Corporate people were in and out of the building with clip boards. They were walking around the building and along the train tracks. maybe they will be getting two new attractions. A Skyscreamer and an indoor coaster. A off the shelf Maur SC2000 like Spider at Lagoon would easily fit inside the buildings footprint. They could do like they did with Timbertown Redo a whole area of the park with upgrades. They spent neary 12 million dollars on Timbertown. It was a complete remodel of the area from ground up in some parts and the whole kids area now looks amazing. Every single area of the kids area was touched even the restrooms got remodeled So if they redo that section of the park with it's up charge rides and winged warrior not to many attractions. They add a Sky Screamer and a indoor coaster back in the building that they only use once a year for a seasonal attraction. That would improve that area of the park. It would help balance out the coasters for the park. It would place 3 coasters on one end of the park and 3 coasters in the back area of the park. I know their investment on Timbertown has paid off I talked to one of the managers at the park they said they have had a 75 percent increase in traffic this year. I asked them I noticed the crowds during the week are larger there is some days an hour before closing have to wait 2 cycles on Wildcat and Silver Bullet because the coasters have a line. Last season they were re rides till you were tired of riding the coaster. I haven't had that experience this year Since Six Flags took over operations of the park. There have been more guests. More guests equal more rides and attractions.

^Interesting info. I had forgot the hotel was included in the purchase, I'm sure you told us about it before. It's very interesting that they are fixing the building up, considering the recent survey about possibly adding hotels on to SF parks. It would be an easy market test for the concept since they already have the building and infrastructure.

The attendance bump has been so noticeable. I'm psyched that they are starting to see the potential here.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I could see them just entirely re-doing the area around Nightmare Mine. That's a ton of land that is only really half used. With the right planning, they could fit a new coaster and something else there, especially if they also chip some land away from the maintenance area. They should move the entire maintenance area across the road to the boneyard.

If they spent twelve million dollars on Timbertown, then an indoor spinning coaster and a Sky Screamer could definitely be part of the budget. I'm unaware of the cost of Sky Screamers, but an off the shelf spinning coaster from Maurer is about six million dollars, or at least Phoenix at Adventureland was.

• 1 month later...

The park has been oddly quiet. Apparently they are missing some people in their marketing department since the transition. Not much going on with their social media these days.

I am still holding out hope for something major in 2020. It might end up being for White Water though... At this point the park has shown its potential, and everyone involved knows that the rides are seriously lacking. People aren't going to return next year if there isn't anything new. The park really needs a good ride.

Driving this morning and heard a commercial on the radio for the Frontier City 2020 Six Flags Flash sale starting August 29th... In that Commercial they stated that you can use your 2020 pass at the All new Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Oklahoma City. White Water Bay going to get a name change and get the major capitol budget. Frontier City will just get a small flat?

Very interesting. While I want them to pour capital into FC, it makes sense to rebrand and fix up WWB. Like FC, that park is undersized and underutilized with vast potential. It's crazy how OK parks have been slept on so heavily.

Would be great if the water park gets a big new slide complex and FC gets a new flat ride in the same year. Some people are speculating that FC will get a smaller star flyer. That would be fine by me. The bar is pretty low, and that would be our biggest new ride in a long time.