TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Kong (SLC) if you know what your in for and keep your head pinned back and body stiff you'll survive the kong but its still hardly fun after exerting all that effort to prevent headbanging.

I am a fan of SLC's. I always found my best riding style on those was to hold my head all the way forward out of the restraint. You get zero head banging that way a pretty enjoyable intense ride.

Ah i know what you mean i do that on CGA's Demon and Patriot due to the head banging as well i'll have to try it on Kong next time i go thanks for the tip!

How bizarre, my experience at the park earlier this week was great!

I went with my brother on Monday July 15th, we showed up around 2pm and there were practically no lines. Every ride was operating except for Kong. Stupid Harley Quinn and stupid Daredevil were closed but seriously who gives two craps about those hunk of junk eyesores?

Joker had 2 trains. Medusa had 2 trains. Superman had 2 trains**. Batman ran all cars. Would go down, but then be right back up, and was operating flawlessly with great dispatches no line. I think we rode Batman about 5 times and we started to learn how to influence the spinning with our leg movements, and we started to get really good at providing some really wild rides! Such an improvement over the Intamin Zac-Spins; my brother loved Insane @ Grono & Green Lantern @ SFMM because of the intensity, but admitted this was much more fun, and much more re-rideable!

I rode Wonder Woman and it was pretty fun, much more extreme than I’m used to for a flat ride! My first time on a Frisbee Pendulum so extraordinary in scope, had a really good long ride cycle too.

For the first time ever I took the walk of shame (arrrrgh!!), at The Flash ride. I don’t know if the restraints are different because I’ve ridden it before, and rode Wicked Twister @ CP several times, but those restraints are probably the tightest most restrictive things I have ever experienced. I’m not even that big of a guy, I get on everything else just fine, so I was pretty shocked when I couldn’t ride. Bummer! I love the front spike on this Intamin Shuttle!

The last ride of the day was Joker and at about 7:50pm (10 minutes before the park closed) Joker went down. They evacuated the train back to the loading side, and said we could wait. Being the roller coaster veteran I am, and judging by the ride-ops posture, I figured this would be a pretty quick fix. After 5 minutes I asked “Did you call a mechanic” and he said yup. I asked “how long does it usually take them to get here?” and he said it depends. Mechanic showed up pretty quick. Didn’t even run 1 test circuit. Put his magic key in the control panel, and we literally got in our seats just as the park closed. Great ride to end the night, and has got to be my favorite ride at the park. I just love how it does so much in such a small space, and it really gets you close to the ground!

So I wonder if that’s the Joker train that was giving them trouble because they were running test cycles at least an hour or so after park closing. I could see the trains running while we exited the park and waited for our Lyft. I’m surprised they got the train off the track so quickly, seems as if it happened overnight!

**I know Superman only has 1 train I was just joking around.

^SFDK is very hit or miss. Lately the park operations have been more on the miss side, but I am glad you caught the park on a good day. It is so relieving to hear that Joker is back on two trains. With that news, I may need to try to make one more trip up to Vallejo before the craziness of Fright Fest starts.

after a 3rd trip this past sunday this time with my sister and her kids i can say for sure the place is quite hit or miss. day started off bad with joker down all morning, i took my two pre-teen nephews on superman because i knew line would be long later anyways and hoped they'd have the joker up and running once we got off but sadly they did not. at this point it was wonder woman or batman to go on over in that area and they were too intimidated / sacred by superman at that point to do either lol. so we headed to medusa and as expected it was operating great with two trains and a short wait and they loved it. we meandered some etc by early afternoon Joker was up and so we did that and as expected they loved it.

In any event though we had a blast as the day went on and ended up doing the joker 3x medusa 3x rapids ride once, boomerang once, superman once and mixed in some of the flats and cobra

Main disappointment for them was they really wanted to do The Flash : V2 (because of the character mostly) but it was closed all day due to "inclement weather" but i think the real reason is the park probably cannot operate it on hotter days due to power usage, it was up today when i checked and showed no signs of really being down when we were there.

Things to Note about the park:

its almost useless to come in at opening they are very bad at opening most major rides at opening. superman and medusa are probably best bets for rides that will open first as i have never seen either go down in all 3 visits but medusa is not gathering large lines because it has high capacity with 2 trains and the section its in is no longer popular, i've walked into the station many times on a weekend and at worst was at the bottom of the stairs to the station.

they seem to have a lot of relatively minor issues with the joker, at opening maintenance was working on the brake run before the transfer station for hours, past visit it broke down right before i was to get on a train because one of the ride operators couldn't get a green light on his panel to allow them to dispatch and this last trip i think the same thing happened to them because we were on the stairs basically one dispatch away from waiting to board next train and it went down and the same exact situation was occurring where they had a train full of riders stuck in the transfer station and were unable to dispatch the train in station so maintenance shows up 10 min later force dispatches the empty train in station so they could unload the train stuck in the transfer station and then they proceed to dispatch 2 trains empty and re-open the ride to passengers..

as for ride ops in general there though I can say they are in general very good for the most part often trying to fill trains looking for single riders and smaller groups of 2 or 3 to pull ahead to get trains filled on many of the major rides there and often their ops are at least trying to entertain if there is a line or an issue or even if everything is fine so i do give them a big thumbs up, their main issues appear to be in getting the place going at opening properly and possibly some maintenance issues they need to figure out.

I visited on Monday and had a similar experience. I was very disappointed to find the Flash closed all day (and, of course, it reopened the day after I left! ugh). But aside from that and Joker having frequent breakdowns throughout the day, I had a nice time. Superman, Medusa, and Batman are the "powerhouse" coasters in the park. All three of them seem extremely reliable, and I didn't see any of them go down the entire day. Those three coasters had the fastest operations in the park and ran at max capacity. Superman dispatched every minute, often times less.

Joker was on two trains, but like I said it had frequent breakdowns. It seemed like they sent more empty trains that day than full ones. When it was running, the operations were solid. It's a nice ride but still ranks at the bottom of the RMCs I've ridden. But even a "bad" RMC is a GREAT coaster. It's also incredibly popular and held a solid line.

Batman surprised me. I've ridden Joker at SFGAdv, and while this one felt mostly the same, I did flip much more on Batman. One of my rides I flipped a good 6 or 7 times. It was totally awesome. If it flipped that much on every ride, I would rank this as one of the best rides in the parks. And while I still think it is, the experience can be very hit or miss. Some rides are insane, some are very mild, and everything in between. Overall an excellent addition to the park!

I really do like the park and think people give it way more crap than it deserves, however there are a few drawbacks. I was watching queue times for the weeks and days leading up to my visit and the Flash was operating on almost every single day. Considering that the ride just got out of an extensive refurbishment, I figured the odds of it being open during my visit were pretty good, but it just goes to show that you can never really make assumptions with Six Flags, particularly their unreliable Intamin rides. It was also frustrating that it reopened the day after I left. Oh well, that's life. One day I will ride that thing. It looks totally weird in the best way possible.

I'm interested to see the future of this park. Their ride side of the park is quite stacked. I'd like to see a drop tower at some point. Even with their 150-foot height limit, they could spring for a Larson tower, S&S shot tower, or even an Intamin one. A family coaster with no inversions would also be nice. I wonder what their future moves will be with CGA expected to greatly expand in the next 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Any rumors on additions for next year? I saw somewhere that a sign has been posted saying "Warning: Rattlesnake crossing" or something like that. Seemed to be in the front of the park near where elephants used to be I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am heading to discovery kingdom for the first time on the 31st and am expecting it to be crowded. I have never done the flash pass and am a little confused on how it works. I’m hoping someone can help explain a couple things:

1. What’s the difference between the three tiers?

2. Is it worth it in general to spend $110 for the platinum?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I’m heading to the park on the 31st and am anticipating it to be very crowded. I have some questions about the flash pass I’m hoping someone could answer:

1. Is it worth it to purchase?

2. How does it work?

3. What’s the difference between the 3 tiers?

Thanks in advance!

New Spinning Roller Coaster Sidewinder Safari, Slithers into Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2020

Guests will Queue with Live Rattlesnakes and Lizards All Around

VALLEJO, Calif. — August 29, 2019 — Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, today announced the addition of a one-of-a-kind, combination thrilling family coaster and animal exhibit experience—Sidewinder Safari. Featuring live rattlesnakes and other reptile species, guests will be immersed in a jungle-like setting as they prepare for a wild ride along 1,378 feet of slithering track. This venomous, new attraction is the year-round theme park’s 12th roller coaster.

“As the world leader in thrills, Six Flags continues to raise the bar to deliver the most unique and innovative experiences in the industry,” said Park President Don McCoy. “Sidewinder Safari is unlike any other ride in Northern California, featuring the thrill of a unique, spinning roller coaster combined with an up-close-and-personal reptile encounter for an unparalleled ‘wow’ experience. This is also the park’s 12th coaster, making it the home of the most coasters in Northern California.”

Before boarding Sidewinder Safari, guests will enter a safari-themed queue line. With snakes, lizards and other reptiles surrounding them, guests will board spinning coaster vehicles for an exhilarating experience families and teens alike will enjoy.

Other Sidewinder Safari highlights include:

 Multiple 360 degree sideway spins;

 Rapid-strike drops;

 Twisting and turning hairpin curves;

 Cars that allow four people to enjoy the fun together.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom features more than 60 rides and attractions, including unique, up close and interactive animal experiences. For more information about Sidewinder Safari and next season, visit sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/newfor2020.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is also announcing the start of 2020 Season Pass sales with its special Flash Sale through Labor Day weekend featuring the best deal of the year — savings up to 75% off of a 2020 Pass.

August 29 through September 2, guests will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Combo Season Pass with every pass purchased. Gold Combo Season Passes include admission to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord, and any other Six Flags theme park, as well as free parking and special admission offers for friends.

During the Flash Sale, guests who sign up for a Membership receive three free months and a Golden Ticket to bring a friend free any day for the rest of the 2019 season. Launched last year, the Six Flags Membership program offers guests a wide range of valuable benefits such as preferred parking every visit, unlimited soft drinks, 50% off almost all food and merchandise in the park, and exclusive perks that are only available to Members. Members who sign up for Six Flags Membership Rewards, the company’s new loyalty program exclusive to Members, earn points for almost everything they do at the park. Points can be redeemed for free food,

SFDK-Sidewinder_Safari_Photo.thumb.jpg.7b5dc3b5658b9d1b2f1cef051e0c8c9d.jpg

959346241_SFDK_Sidewinder_Safari_KeyArt_SMALL.thumb.jpg.55d62db183be2288d467440c38bdf92c.jpg

Obviously, Jersey Devil is the highlight of the SF announcements for 2020, but I am very much loving this addition as well! Not only am I big fan of snakes, so the interactive queue is awesome, but I LOVE Ragin Cajun, and consider it one of the most purely FUN coasters I've ever experienced! So this is a great addition all around to me!

Now I just have to figure out how to get to this park one of these days (or years), and I'll be able to enjoy it (and all the other great additions they've received lately!)

Good addition to the park. Finally adds a family coaster back, and adds a ride in a new section of the park which will help with crowd management. I just hope this isn't a sign that the animal attractions will slowly be fading away. I understand why the elephants had to leave of course, but still hoping most of this area of the park stays dedicated to animals. This ride seems to offer both at leastm. Definitely happy with this

Hello, I’m heading to the park on the 31st and am anticipating it to be very crowded. I have some questions about the flash pass I’m hoping someone could answer:

2. How does it work?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes, the Flash Pass is absolutely worth it. It should be quite crowded. So, unless you enjoy waiting in lines, I enthusiastically recommend getting one. I'll be there on 9/1 with a friend, and plan on getting one.

2. You get an electronic unit (they used to be small, egg-shaped devices with screens, but I believe they are now similar to watches). You scroll through the list of rides (and corresponding reservation times) on the screen. You find the one you want and select it. When it's your time to ride, the unit buzzes to let you know. You go to the separate FP line, where an employee checks you in, and you walk right into the station (for the most part). At that point, you can reserve another ride (you can only have one reservation at a time).

3. Yes, the three tiers are distinct from each other. Regular Flash Pass doesn't reduce the wait time, but you don't actually have to wait in line. The gold level reduces your wait time by 50%. The platinum level reduces it by 90%, and you have the added bonus of getting two rides in a row (you get to stay in your seat when you return to the station). I believe, however, that this bonus is excludes the front and back rows of any coaster.

To elaborate on the wait times, the unit gives you reservation times based on your FP tier. Say that it's 1:00, and you want to ride Medusa, which has a 1 hour wait. If you have the regular level, the reservation time on the screen will be for 2:00. You reserve it, and go do other things in the park (don't have to wait in the physical line). At 2:00, the unit will buzz, and you can go to Medusa, the employee in the station will check you in and clear out the reservation, and you head right into the station to pick your desired row. If you have the gold level, the reservation time will say 1:30 (cutting your virtual wait time in half). If you get the platinum level, the reservation will say 1:06 (cutting your wait time by 90%).

I find that for SFDK, which typically doesn't get waits longer than 1 hour, the gold level will suffice. If you make your reservation immediately upon checking into a ride (where the employee clears your previous reservation), by the time you wait in the station, ride the ride, and walk to the next ride, it's typically time for your next reservation.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your day.

2. How does it work?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes, the Flash Pass is absolutely worth it. It should be quite crowded. So, unless you enjoy waiting in lines, I enthusiastically recommend getting one. I'll be there on 9/1 with a friend, and plan on getting one.

2. You get an electronic unit (they used to be small, egg-shaped devices with screens, but I believe they are now similar to watches). You scroll through the list of rides (and corresponding reservation times) on the screen. You find the one you want and select it. When it's your time to ride, the unit buzzes to let you know. You go to the separate FP line, where an employee checks you in, and you walk right into the station (for the most part). At that point, you can reserve another ride (you can only have one reservation at a time).

3. Yes, the three tiers are distinct from each other. Regular Flash Pass doesn't reduce the wait time, but you don't actually have to wait in line. The gold level reduces your wait time by 50%. The platinum level reduces it by 90%, and you have the added bonus of getting two rides in a row (you get to stay in your seat when you return to the station). I believe, however, that this bonus is excludes the front and back rows of any coaster.

To elaborate on the wait times, the unit gives you reservation times based on your FP tier. Say that it's 1:00, and you want to ride Medusa, which has a 1 hour wait. If you have the regular level, the reservation time on the screen will be for 2:00. You reserve it, and go do other things in the park (don't have to wait in the physical line). At 2:00, the unit will buzz, and you can go to Medusa, the employee in the station will check you in and clear out the reservation, and you head right into the station to pick your desired row. If you have the gold level, the reservation time will say 1:30 (cutting your virtual wait time in half). If you get the platinum level, the reservation will say 1:06 (cutting your wait time by 90%).

I find that for SFDK, which typically doesn't get waits longer than 1 hour, the gold level will suffice. If you make your reservation immediately upon checking into a ride (where the employee clears your previous reservation), by the time you wait in the station, ride the ride, and walk to the next ride, it's typically time for your next reservation.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your day.

Hey thanks for the information, this definitely helps. I was really mulling over going with the gold or platinum, so this was definitely helpful.

Glad this park got another family coaster to bridge the gap between Cobra and the high thrill ones.

Wow this park has gotten a coaster in 4 of the past 5 years.

Totally agree, the park really needed a family coaster that's a step up from Cobra (which is one of the most boring coasters ever). I've ridden these spinning mouse coasters and they are a ton of fun. I have to say that I've been really impressed with the additions to SFDK over the last 4-5 years.

Hey thanks for the information, this definitely helps. I was really mulling over going with the gold or platinum, so this was definitely helpful.

I think you'll be fine with Gold, that's what I usually get when I visit SF parks. Just as the previous poster said, reserve your next ride immediately after you get checked into your current ride and your wait times should be pretty non-existent.