TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Visited the park today again with my brother, this time with a strong determination to ride all the rides. The park was pretty crowded and the two rides I was most looking to get on (Steel Vengeance and Valravn) had super long waits (2 hours and 1 hour, respectively) by park opening. I know this is pretty typical of those two rides, but I was hoping for a lighter crowd today with it being near the end of August, and I was sorely disappointed. So I did what any sensible enthusiast would and bought a FastLane+. It honestly was really worth it, especially with the platinum pass discount.

Some thoughts on the rides:

I've officially changed my mind about Steel Vengeance. That thing is awesome! It really keeps going forever; a perfect-length ride in my opinion. Better than Fury? The rides are so different that it's hard to say, but I'm keeping SV at #3 on my top 10 behind TTD and the aforementioned B&M giga. It's a jump from #7 after my first ride a couple weeks ago! My biggest comment is that the airtime is a little more consistent in the middle of the train--something that I did not really expect. The back feels like it has a weird delay where the airtime comes late. Not too dramatic because RMC trains are short, but I preferred row 5 over row 12 today. Didn't get to ride in the front because we got rained out at the end of the day :/

Maverick: Sorry, you're now the third best ride in the park. Great ride, though! That second launch HAULS and I can't help but think about how awesome these new Intamin blitz coasters like Taron and Taiga must be.

Millennium: Better than Fury? No. Something is just off about the drop; perhaps its my expectations. I think B&M does big first drops better, per my experience on Diamondback, Nitro, Fury, and Intimidator. I definitely can appreciate this ride, though. I've mentioned before that I was not impressed the first time I rode it; this time around I really enjoyed the fast turns and the high g's. I hope this doesn't sound like a forced appreciation, I genuinely enjoy the ride. It's just the first drop, I'm always underwhelmed.

Valravn: Only got on once. Was planning to ride later in the day but got rained out. I rode in the first row. I think this ride has good pacing and is fun! This was my first B&M dive coaster and 121st credit. I think both the hold and the drop were a bit underwhelming (I can blame the vest restraints if you want) but the big swooping elements are fun. RAWKIN pointed out that the ride looks like a script Ohio from a certain angle (Take that Michigan! They gave us our own COASTER!) so my brother and I (keep in mind we're from Columbus and by default Buckeye fans) had fun shouting the respective letters as we passed through them. Of course, they're wildly out of order when you ride, and the "h" consists of both the first and second drops, so we ended up shouting HOHOI, but hey, it's all in good fun!

Sorry if this was already posted on the forums, I was completely out of everything coaster related in 2016, but I was very impressed with this and will subject you all to another picture of this piece of art.

76a7203d92fd4d1e05f6020738232cb9.jpg

As far as the dive gimmick goes, Hangtime does it better. I know it's a weird comparison, but really the holding brakes on these two rides are meant to do the same thing. I like how Hangtime gets the whole train facing the ground, holds you there for a solid 5-6 seconds, and you're only secured in with a lapbar. But I really love the sheer size of Valravn and honestly its novelty. I've been itching to get on one of these dive machines for so long that it's honestly pretty satisfying to ride one AND enjoy it.

I'll stop myself before this post gets even longer but for a total ride count, thanks to FL+ we got on all the non-kiddie coasters except Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Dragster, and we got rerides on SV, Millennium, Maverick, and GateKeeper. We also got to spend some downtime in Frontiertown and went for a little stroll around the Forbidden Frontier after all the rides shut down. That us, until the music changed to a weather advisory! But huge thanks to Cedar Point for an amazing day! Nothing beats this amazing coaster collection!

Gotta love a park where Maverick may be the 3rd best

For real, there is a reason I go to the Point every year. It's simply unparalleled.

Like the "OHIO" it may be the best thing on the ride lol I agree, those restraints should not be allowed on dives. I still prefer Sheikra to it simply cause ya get more feeling. Both kill all the speed with the too soon MCBR so its basically meh after that anyway.

Glad ya loved SV, I was afraid I over hyped it last year in my mind but yup, its unrelenting pace and length is just something else. Its perhaps the only ride where, when on it, I legit don't know what's going on!

So glad you had a great day at CP, Inverted! It's great you got to make it back out before going back to school!

So I did what any sensible enthusiast would and bought a FastLane+.

You would not like my take on FastLane! But then nobody on here does, so what else is new!

I've officially changed my mind about Steel Vengeance. That thing is awesome! It really keeps going forever; a perfect-length ride in my opinion. Better than Fury? The rides are so different that it's hard to say, but I'm keeping SV at #3 on my top 10 behind TTD and the aforementioned B&M giga.

You would REALLY not like my take on TTD! It's not even a Top 5 coaster at CP, let alone overall, in my opinion! But I will admit that when it runs, (a very rare occurrence whenever I've been there recently), it is a blast! (Though I still prefer Kinga Ka in the front more. Fight me! )

I'm glad you enjoyed SV a lot more! I really do feel it's the perfect roller coaster, and does everything anybody could want on a coaster (besides launching), and does it well! However, it IS so different than Fury, it's really hard to compare them. Kind of like Maverick and MF. I rank SV one above Fury, but they could really be 1a and 1b they're so different.

Millennium: Better than Fury? No.

I agree with this!

Something is just off about the drop; perhaps its my expectations. I think B&M does big first drops better.

It's surprising you feel that way, because my son (who you met the other day) and I were talking not too long ago about how even after all of these years, and all the other great drops on coasters we've been on, MF still has THE BEST first drop of any coaster out there in our opinion! It's pretty much the best part of the ride in our perspective. So that's interesting you feel the complete opposite.

I definitely can appreciate this ride, though. I've mentioned before that I was not impressed the first time I rode it; this time around I really enjoyed the fast turns and the high g's. I hope this doesn't sound like a forced appreciation, I genuinely enjoy the ride.

As with SV, I'm glad you enjoyed it a lot more this time around! I still LOVE MF, and get a thrill out of it every time I ride it! I've never really understood what it is about enthusiasts that makes so many dog this coaster, but as somebody who has ridden it 95% of the times with GP and not enthusiasts, I can attest to the fact they always feel born again after riding it!, and most consider it their fave at CP, even after SV is there!

It's just the first drop, I'm always underwhelmed.

Again,

Valravn: RAWKIN pointed out that the ride looks like a script Ohio from a certain angle (Take that Michigan! They gave us our own COASTER!) so my brother and I (keep in mind we're from Columbus and by default Buckeye fans) had fun shouting the respective letters as we passed through them. Of course, they're wildly out of order when you ride, and the "h" consists of both the first and second drops, so we ended up shouting HOHOI, but hey, it's all in good fun!

F&%@ OSU!!!

As far as the dive gimmick goes, Hangtime does it better. I know it's a weird comparison, but really the holding brakes on these two rides are meant to do the same thing. I like how Hangtime gets the whole train facing the ground, holds you there for a solid 5-6 seconds, and you're only secured in with a lapbar. But I really love the sheer size of Valravn and honestly its novelty. I've been itching to get on one of these dive machines for so long that it's honestly pretty satisfying to ride one AND enjoy it.

I don't feel like a dive element is any more of a "gimmick" than any other element on a coaster is, but that's a different rant for a different time. I haven't ridden Hangtime, so I'm curious how that rides. My kids and I love Dive Coasters, but pretty much always want front, for the very reason you alluded to. It's a little disappointing that you don't really feel much like you're hanging over the drop in the second and third rows. Still, I think Valravn is great, ShieKra is great, and I can't wait to ride Yukon Striker in two and a half weeks, as that looks like the best out there! I'm glad you enjoyed your ride on Valravn! (Also, props for the OG "Dive Machine" reference!)

Nothing beats this amazing coaster collection!

Amen, and amen! I'm right there with you! Again, glad you had such a great visit! I hope to be able to enjoy a park with you again sometime when you're back in the area, maybe even CP! (Or you can come North, and marathon Shivering Timbers with me while I hum the U of M and MSU fight songs! )

So I did what any sensible enthusiast would and bought a FastLane+.

You would not like my take on FastLane! But then nobody on here does, so what else is new!

I've heard your take on FastLane and I sometimes agree--see my previous CP TR and my rant about the merge point for SV. I will say, however, that I very much enjoyed having it yesterday.

Something is just off about the drop; perhaps its my expectations. I think B&M does big first drops better.

It's surprising you feel that way, because my son (who you met the other day) and I were talking not too long ago about how even after all of these years, and all the other great drops on coasters we've been on, MF still has THE BEST first drop of any coaster out there in our opinion! It's pretty much the best part of the ride in our perspective. So that's interesting you feel the complete opposite.

Yeah and I'll reiterate that I really can't put my finger on it. I've ridden Millennium countless times in the front, back, and middle. Both rides yesterday were in the back, which, in my experience, has been the best seat for the first drop and it does give you airtime. Something about the shape of the drop, though, is just not quite as thrilling as many other coasters I've ridden. As far as CP goes, SV takes the cake for the best drop, then maybe Maverick, and after that Millennium. At least for me. My all time favorite is Fury, but the other B&M hypers I've ridden have really slapped on that first drop as well.

F&%@ OSU!!!

Basically the exact reaction I expected from you

I don't feel like a dive element is any more of a "gimmick" than any other element on a coaster is

I consider it like a drop track or backward launch where it's out of the ordinary from a traditional track maneuver. But I think you would agree that enthusiasts hate on "gimmicks" too much; I personally love the holding brakes on Valravn and Hangtime. If I'm not mistaken, Valravn's is short even for a B&M, so I'd love to get out to BGW or BGT and ride one of the OG American Dive Machines before I really make the call that Gerstlauer is better.

I hope to be able to enjoy a park with you again sometime when you're back in the area, maybe even CP! (Or you can come North, and marathon Shivering Timbers with me while I hum the U of M and MSU fight songs! )

Yes, aboslutely! I would love to meet up again! But if I do visit MiA I may just have to skip Wolver*ne Wildcat out of spite! (haha--I make fun, but it's all in good spirits; I respect your schools up north). Let me know if you ever come out west, espeically if it's during a school break! I love a good excuse to drive down to Vegas or LA.

Apparently I misunderstood the big excitement. I assumed the trains were in transfer (as is tradition for prolonged Dragster breakdowns), apparently they were always on the track, they’re just moving them up to different positions and actively messing around with it finally. That’s probably still a good sign. I’ve heard a lot of positive rumblings today.

Edited by coasterbill

(Or you can come North, and marathon Shivering Timbers with me while I hum the U of M and MSU fight songs! )

“On the banks of the red cedar...” *pauses to brace for the trick track even though it’s been gone for years* “man I’m glad the trick track is gone”

Whenever I’m bored in line I always sing the MSU fight song, and I love how the rivalries work out at Cedar Point, in a way there is almost a three way mutual hatred. Also love both of your guys’ takes, and it reminds me I really need to make it out to Carowinds for Fury.

Something about Yukon Strikes works more for me then Valravn, but honestly the new restraints are just way too tight (definitely a broken record on this one). I’m a pretty small person and it feels like it crushes me, also I don’t know what’s going on with Gatekeeper but I feel like the restraints got worse, I was barely able to ride it this year. I think it’s partly just psychological but I get back to the station guppy breathing every time.

But MF this year? Absolutely been magical. I was on the last two rides of the day one of my visits and it blew my mind, I don’t know why.

I heard the crew is scheduled for Friday from someone that works there as well. I mean obviously that doesn't mean it's going to open Friday but that could be a good sign since they haven't been scheduled for 21 days or s/t like that according to said person.

After years of dreaming, I am finally visiting this park tomorrow and Sunday. I can't believe it's actually happening. I'll be going back in this thread and searching for some tips about the plan of attack of course, but if you have any you want to share or share again, feel free. Thanks!

Definitely get Fastlane+. Even late season those lines can get super long on weekends. Fastlane+ will take care of you on coasters and big flats; beyond that, it depends on what you like to do. If you need downtime, Melt is a good place to chill, as is Chickie's and Pete's. Cedar Downs and the Skyride are both underrated--don't skip those.

Is queue-times accurate for this park? Wait times for the big rides haven't particularly changed since a few weeks ago. The lesser rides I think have improved, perhaps that's just the way that works. There has been some user posts of much shorter lines, but one of those was TTD 5 minutes, which wouldn't have been believable even if the ride was open. By next Monday almost every kid in the country should be in school, so I'm hopeful. But still not sure. Considering driving 2 hours more to skip tolls and save for fastlane, but also I'm doing the 2 half-days plan so that will be only the larger half at best. If it wasn't beautiful I'd be reconsidering very heavily.

Is queue-times accurate for this park?

It's not Disney accurate but it's very good for a regional park. Rides at the front of the park are sometimes slow to lower their wait times towards the end of the night though so be aware of that.

User reported wait times are a hilariously useless feature that needs to die.

Edited by coasterbill

Is queue-times accurate for this park? Wait times for the big rides haven't particularly changed since a few weeks ago. The lesser rides I think have improved, perhaps that's just the way that works. There has been some user posts of much shorter lines, but one of those was TTD 5 minutes, which wouldn't have been believable even if the ride was open. By next Monday almost every kid in the country should be in school, so I'm hopeful. But still not sure. Considering driving 2 hours more to skip tolls and save for fastlane, but also I'm doing the 2 half-days plan so that will be only the larger half at best. If it wasn't beautiful I'd be reconsidering very heavily.

I'd skip the tolls and change your plan to two days only in order to get FLP. Let's say that even if the park is not that crowded it will make every ride walk-on.

Stopped by the park yesterday evening, arriving around 6pm to a 2/3 full lot. The only thing we really waited for was Valravn, at 1hr which was sad because it should have easily been half that. They stacked each... and... every... train. I couldn't believe how terrible this crew was the entire time we were in line! Running three trains and constantly stacking all three. Oy. Six Flags operations here!

Last ride on Raptor had another issue, where a rider was sick/fainting or something and waiting for EMT to arrive. Crew never announced anything, so the station got a big rowdy. To the point a guest nearby was practically insulating the poor girl on the ride for not getting off (who was fainting and/or sick),yelling that that the park is closed, she ain't stuck, etc... Quite rudely. The girls friend was basically yelling back at this guy, it was getting fairly heated and totally unnecessary. Felt bad for the girl. Sad thing is, there was an officer in the station who did nothing except stand there, on top of the ride crew not even as much as informing the guests there was a medical issue and awaiting EMT before continuing operation. So it just fueled this station of people basically verbally insulting this girl awaiting EMT's. Could have been handled so much better...

Aside from that, all was great. Everything else we rode was 5-10min... Blue Streak, Magnum, Rougarou, Gatekeeper and our rides on Valravn and Raptor... Enjoyed a lap on the train and the antique cars. Beautiful weather, perfect evening.

So aside from the horrendous Valravn crew and the incompetence at Raptor, great visit!

Not sure if the website is completely updated, but apparently there’s a whole bunch of new stuff this year:

Scare Zones:

- CornStalkers 2.0: Revenge of the Pumpkin Heads

Battleground HalloZone (new for 2019 at Celebration Plaza)

- Boneyard Battleground (scare zone)

- Dead End Kitchen Alley (food trucks)

- Raging Inferno (Heavy Metal Show on Luminosity stage)

- Skin & Bones (Skeleton Band Show on Luminosity stage)

- Toxicity (Acrobatics Show on Luminosity stage)

Other new things include:

- Happily Never After (Red Garter Saloon Show)

- Midnight Syndicate: Creatures of Darkness

- the Pumpkin Patches (BackBeatQue stage)

I’m honestly a little surprised there’s nothing happening in Forbidden Frontier. Seems like it could be the perfect place for some form of walk through haunted maze or something. Regardless I’m glad to see so much new this Haunt!

From what was stated by the park, they didn't want to push the Forbidden Frontier area too hard in it's first year, but they remain open to using it in the future for Halloweekends.

I'm with you though, it seems ready made for Haunt stuff. Which I am sure is by design.

Checked queue-times yesterday around 6pm and there were insane lines such as:

4 hours for Steel Vengeance

2 hours 15 minutes for Valravn

1 hour 45 minutes for Millennium Force

1 hour 30 minutes for Raptor

Corkscrew, GateKeeper, and Rougarou all showing one hour waits

Gemini (which is almost always a walk-on when I've been there) was showing a 45 minute wait