Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1472: The Bourne Stuntacular coming Spring 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Chiselphane » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 am

robbalvey wrote:
TurnOfTheCentury wrote:The rumor is that the lands will be Nintendo, Classic Monsters, Fantastic Beasts and How to Train Your Dragon (who knows why), with at least two more expansion pads. I think the idea of having a huge hub which each land being its own contained area that dead ends (you don't connect between the lands) is somewhat interesting and *maybe* makes things more immersive. I also read somewhere that the coaster will not be "dueling."

Is Fantastic Beasts really that popular? I feel like most people I know who are Potter fans are quite “meh” on those films. I don’t see that franchise being “theme park land worthy” in any way.

I am a pretty big fan of the IP and the first film was OK at best, and I didn't even bother with the 2nd. Meh is the perfect word for it. But they're pulling in a lot of money so somebody's watching them, the 2nd film came in 400 million over budget. I totally agree that there isn't land worthiness to them, there's nothing iconic at all to reference. The concept art looks like old time New York for the outdoor areas, which I guess has some potential but it's not all that original, right? Like Diagon Alley - instant recognition and they translated it pretty much perfectly. Nothing in FB has that punch.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby aueft » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:35 am

I can't be the only person that thought of that second-rate animated film when they announced that the name was "Epic..."

Anyhow, not much to go off of. Based on the (early) concept art, it looks a little lean as far as the park itself goes. However, as long as they stuff it with popular IPs, I'm sure it will be a success.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:42 am

teacherkim wrote:
And to expand on this idea a bit: It's a ride that parents and kids can do together, no matter the kids ages. We are coaster enthusiasts but also Potter fans. I rode Dragons several times and liked it (although I could never "marathon" it because that would make me sick) but when you look at any group of regular suburban moms and dads in their 50's, most of them are not "coaster enthusiasts" and aren't as willing to ride something THEY consider big and intimidating like Dragons. All the Potter rides are now rides that almost anyone can do, so parents and kids can go together instead of mom and dad sitting on a bench waiting for the kids. And several of those parents are fans as well so there is something they can share with their kids. That makes the whole area attractive to the majority of families. After all you have way more vacationing families at UO than your local regional theme park or even a lot of Six Flags parks where kids are just getting dropped off for the day or Mom goes and hangs out at the water park while kids ride because it's just a day trip. They are making a sound business decision based on their demographics.

Agreed that the Jurassic coaster will potentially be much more intense.

I don't know, there are still tons and tons of adults without kids in line for Hagrid's. Sure, there are kids, but there are noticeably more people in line over the age of 18 than under the age of 18. And there's nothing stopping kids from riding big roller coasters, I see it happen all the time. You could even argue at this point that HP has been around for long enough, that the kids who grew up reading the books when they were new and are full-on addicts would be over the age of 18 at this point. And a "family friendly approach" doesn't explain how Universal continues to double down on HHN, which is actually a much bigger money maker for them than Harry Potter, and is pretty much R rated.

I mean, it wasn't an accident that they got rid of Dueling Dragons. I think its like people are saying, they wanted Harry Potter World to fit the theme. Having two random B&M inverts in a Medieval castle with name only Harry Potter theming is like when Six Flags slaps "Wonder Women" on the name of a random ride, gives it a color scheme, does nothing else and calls that "theming."

It sucks that DD got caught in the crosshairs of Harry Potter mania, but it is what it is. At least we have the credits for DD.

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 am

Has anybody marked up the map with what each area is? I see the Nintendo land, and I assume the Fantastic Beasts area is top right corner with the huge show building. I don't see anything that resembles Berk from HTTYD though. Also, the dueling coaster's station appears to have a futuristic theme, which doesn't fit any of the IPs listed.

I'm always excited for more theme parks, and I'm intrigued to see how this one turns out. Having to go through a new entrance gate for every single area seems like a hassle, though, and I feel like Super Nintendo land will be the only big draw to the park, especially considering its distance from the main resort.
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:06 pm

^The area with the large show building appears to be the Nintendo Land and faintly matches some leaked models. Someone suggested that the large building could be an indoor section, but I think it's the show building for the Donkey Kong ride.

What we are assuming is the Fantastic Beasts land is the New-York looking area right next to the hotel.

Classic Monsters is the purple area up top.

I'm surprised too at the supposed inclusion of a Fantastic Beasts land, as it's is still in its infancy. It seems way too early to build a theme park land around it IMO, but honestly, I've been foreseeing it coming since the first movie released just knowing Universal.

I'm a casual Potter fan: I like the movies, and the theme park lands, but even I've had enough. Two areas is good - I swear, 20 years later they're going to have to rename the resort "Universal's Harry Potter Orlando" if the keep going at this pace. When is enough enough?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BWALL004 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 pm

I think the concept art looks incredible. But the part no one seems to be talking about and to me, the most fascinating thing about Epic Universe is the Las Vegas Bellagio Hotel inspired resort “INSIDE” the park with fountains and all. That looks amazing.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:57 am

BWALL004 wrote:I think the concept art looks incredible. But the part no one seems to be talking about and to me, the most fascinating thing about Epic Universe is the Las Vegas Bellagio Hotel inspired resort “INSIDE” the park with fountains and all. That looks amazing.

The hotel does look cool, as does all the water and fountains in the huge "hub" (which is really the spine of the park).
But the hotel is at the back end of the park overlooking the park, not so much "inside" the park anymore than the Disney hotels at DisneySea or California Adventure are "inside" the park.

I, too, think theming areas directly to IPs of questionable longevity, like Fantastic Beasts and How to Train Your Dragon, seems odd, rather than simply having a "mythical" creatures land or something, but I don't think THAT many people care about the actual IP: they focus on "cool looking land, and/or great ride". For instances, I know very little of Harry Potter, but really enjoyed the two lands and rides at Universal nonetheless.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:02 am

From reading around, the hub will be a part of the park and not open to the public. It seems to have a space/exploration theme as it appears to have several rides/attractions, most notably the dueling coaster.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:44 am

I was hoping for a return of a new Jaws.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:04 am

Why do you think they would have did that?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!