TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Another Frisbee Pendulum Accident In India

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW. Are these things really that prone to failure. Yikes.

At least when this one fell it fell straight down... So hopefully that minimized the injures?

No such luck. 2 dead and many injured. It smashed off the support and you can see someone go flying off. The video I saw was EXTREMELY graphic, showing up close the rescue efforts.

^If it is in the U.S., you are going to be much safer on a pendulum ride. Watch a video of the Giant Discovery rides at the SF parks and you can see how much thicker the pole the seats are attached to is. These accidents are happening on cheap knockoffs overseas that are clearly poorly designed and constructed.

I was in India earlier this year for the first time on business, I was absolutely appalled at the state of that country and will never go back. I witnessed people throwing multiple corpses into the river (in which thousands of people were bathing in downstream), people openly s*****g in the street, and a woman getting raped visibly from the main road. All in the span of about 12 hours in a major city that's apparently one of the nicer areas of the country.

Failures like this in third world s***holes don't surprise me anymore. If a culture can be that barbaric and backwards (with absolutely zero desire to change, which was very obvious after speaking to many locals) I wouldn't even trust a staircase for safety let alone an amusement ride. Heck, the US fair rides even have me suspicious. Lesson to be learned from these accidents in third world garbage heaps of countries is a) stay out of the third world and don't even do business with them/give them your money, and b) if you for some reason find yourself there, don't ride the amusement rides and fly out on the first available flight.

If this offends people. I don't care. It's the truth.

I was in India earlier this year for the first time on business, I was absolutely appalled at the state of that country and will never go back. I witnessed people throwing multiple corpses into the river (in which thousands of people were bathing in downstream), people openly s*****g in the street, and a woman getting raped visibly from the main road. All in the span of about 12 hours in a major city that's apparently one of the nicer areas of the country.

Failures like this in third world s***holes don't surprise me anymore. If a culture can be that barbaric and backwards (with absolutely zero desire to change, which was very obvious after speaking to many locals) I wouldn't even trust a staircase for safety let alone an amusement ride. Heck, the US fair rides even have me suspicious. Lesson to be learned from these accidents in third world garbage heaps of countries is a) stay out of the third world and don't even do business with them/give them your money, and b) if you for some reason find yourself there, don't ride the amusement rides and fly out on the first available flight.

If this offends people. I don't care. It's the truth.

You perfectly described my dads visit to India for business, after witnessing that he told the company he never wanted to go back there again. Hes also been to Bangladesh which he described as a poorer and dirtier India.

Both this and the ride in Uzbekistan have large counterweights, which allows for large bending forces, and small looking swing arms, though decorated enough to not look cheap. I presume they went completely upside down. Most frisbee rides are not like that. The closest I could find by looking around a while was a Technical Park ride with fewer seats, complete inversion but still no large obvious counterweight, just the arm extending past the pivot, along with non-spinning type swing rides. There was that failure of a ride in the US due to corrosion inside a large hollow arm though.

Horrifying. It's not that video doesn't look real, the brain says it can't possibly be, but it is.

There ares several counterweight models all over the US. Spin Cycle at Silverwood comes to mind. Obviously that one is a very different make, model, and size.

Honestly, just looking at that ride visually, it makes complete sense how it snapped. That arm is way too long and thin to support the shear stress of a rider gondola that size. You don't even have to have an understanding of statics or dynamics to recognize that. Some engineers didn't do their homework...

It's unfortunate when this stuff happens, where it is completely out of the riders' control. It was completely preventable had the ride been properly designed. I don't even think this is a result of poor maintenance/inspection, it's just a terrible design that is in the hands of the engineers who designed it. They could drop this exact ride at any park here in the US and I don't even think I would've ridden it simply because of how it looks!

A news channel in India is reporting that six people have been charged with negligent homicide already. While I wouldn't be surprised at all that there are people at fault for negligence here, I can't imagine how there's been any sort of proper investigation already. Apparently that six includes the ride operators, who I can't imagine had anything to do with a structural failure. Sounds far too much like just finding someone they can blame.

As per the FIR, six people - Super Star Amusement Private Limited's managing director Ghanshyam Patel, his son Bhavesh Patel, manager Rajesh Chowksi, ride operators Yash Patel and Kishan Mohanti and helper Manish Vaghela - have been charged for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, the official said.

https://www.ndtv.com/ahmedabad-news/6-charged-after-2-dead-27-injured-in-ahmedabad-amusement-park-accident-2069909

I think:

(1) These accidents are terrible.

(2) I'm sorry for the people who are hurt or killed in any amusement accident.

(3) Credible/accountable manufacturers, operators, and maintenance are the way to go.

(4) Don't eat gas station sushi! If you notice the backseat of an old Buick installed on your next slingshot ride, yes, do think twice.

(5) Incidents and ride safety can be discussed without fearmongering entire populations. After the Ohio State Fair death, the particulars of the incident and carnival rides in general were questioned -- not Ohioans and Americans. But since these Frisbee accidents occurred internationally, here comes the narrative that the other countries have some backwards, undesirable nature that's reflected in the accidents. No thanks on that xenophobic stuff. India's not in my travel plans, but I appreciate that not every place exists to be my vacation. If the designers blew it with these Frisbees, start there. Even if ride safety standards and maintenance stink all across India, then address them, but not by making the people of different countries out to be "eww."

I think:

(1) These accidents are terrible.

(2) I'm sorry for the people who are hurt or killed in any amusement accident.

(3) Credible/accountable manufacturers, operators, and maintenance are the way to go.

(4) Don't eat gas station sushi! If you notice the backseat of an old Buick installed on your next slingshot ride, yes, do think twice.

(5) Incidents and ride safety can be discussed without fearmongering entire populations. After the Ohio State Fair death, the particulars of the incident and carnival rides in general were questioned -- not Ohioans and Americans. But since these Frisbee accidents occurred internationally, here comes the narrative that the other countries have some backwards, undesirable nature that's reflected in the accidents. No thanks on that xenophobic stuff. India's not in my travel plans, but I appreciate that not every place exists to be my vacation. If the designers blew it with these Frisbees, start there. Even if ride safety standards and maintenance stink all across India, then address them, but not by making the people of different countries out to be "eww."

At least when this one fell it fell straight down... So hopefully that minimized the injures?

No such luck. 2 dead and many injured. It smashed off the support and you can see someone go flying off. The video I saw was EXTREMELY graphic, showing up close the rescue efforts.

Yikes! - Yeah, I’ll admit I didn’t watch the video that closely.... I’d be traumatized for life.

Thoughts are with the injured and the deceased’s families. Awful, awful accident.

Yikes! - Yeah, I’ll admit I didn’t watch the video that closely.... I’d be traumatized for life.

Thoughts are with the injured and the deceased’s families. Awful, awful accident.

It was terrible to watch. I turned it off when I realized how graphic it was. Stuff of nightmares for sure.

. Even if ride safety standards and maintenance stink all across India, then address them, but not by making the people of different countries out to be "eww."

Perfectly put. I do believe it is possible to discuss safety regulations in third world countries, but lets go after the engineers, the people responsible for the inspections ect. But it's not fair to say all these rides are dangerous and their people are animals based on a few videos.

But it's not fair to say all these rides are dangerous and their people are animals based on a few videos.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive. It is absolutely reasonable to say that most if not all rides in these countries are dangerous and not implicate that there is anything negative about their people.

Nah brah. Your politically correct reasoning is why the worlds logic has gone to shit.

I won't ride a roller coaster in India for the same reason I won't ride one in Tijuana.

That's not xenophobic stuff, that's practical reasoning.

Women raped in streets visible to the public isn't "eww" to you? Unfathomable to even consider any other reaction.