TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I'd be curious for the reasoning for the strange cross-tie density changes. Yes I know ride manufacturers space ties based on forces and such (yes, I'm aware that is likely the answer to the question).. But this ride just looks so weird with the larger gaps around support placement and the drastic change in tie density. No other ride manufacture does it so "severely" as this one that I can think of.

It makes the ride look more tacky, from strictly a ride design/aesthetic standpoint. I think if this same exact layout was done by any other major manufacturer, it would look far more impressive/sleek. The support structure just reminds me of someone who was bored in No Limits

Look forward to riding it, though!

I'd be curious for the reasoning for the strange cross-tie density changes. Yes I know ride manufacturers space ties based on forces and such (yes, I'm aware that is likely the answer to the question).. But this ride just looks so weird with the larger gaps around support placement and the drastic change in tie density. No other ride manufacture does it so "severely" as this one that I can think of.

It makes the ride look more tacky, from strictly a ride design/aesthetic standpoint. I think if this same exact layout was done by any other major manufacturer, it would look far more impressive/sleek. The support structure just reminds me of someone who was bored in No Limits

Look forward to riding it, though!

Okay, i am glad im not the only one who thought this I know its done to distribute forces as evenly as possible, but the way the cross-tie spacing is on Steel Curtain is just *weird*. It kinda looks like a poorly made knex coaster (what? this isnt the first time an S&S coaster has a similar appearance to a knex coaster)

I assume that there is no official opening date set, correct?

Just curious as I might be in the area around the 5th and 6th.

Kennywood announced July 13.

Thanks!

Guess we'll miss it, but that's okay. Kennywood is awesome no matter what!

I’m planning a trip to Kennywood on a weekday in late July or August after Steel Curtain opens up. As far as the rest of the park, what route should I take to try and ride as many thrill rides and coasters as possible in case I can’t be there for a full day, and how long should wait times be? Also, what is the cost for parking and is there any good food recommended?

I’m planning a trip to Kennywood on a weekday in late July or August after Steel Curtain opens up. As far as the rest of the park, what route should I take to try and ride as many thrill rides and coasters as possible in case I can’t be there for a full day, and how long should wait times be? Also, what is the cost for parking and is there any good food recommended?

The park opens at 10:30 but rides open at 11am. So it allows time to enter a get in line. My route is usually Phantom, Black Widow, Exterminator, Swingshot, Thunderbolt, Aero 360, Racer, Jack Rabbit, Skyrocket. Might jump on other flats depending on time and crowds.

Obviously Steel Curtain will be the big draw so that'll likely be the first place most people queue once it's open.

As far as food, plenty to choose from but nothing that I'd consider a must have.

go to Exterminator 1st (indoor spinning mouse).

it will get a line quickly, and never get any shorter, so knock that out 1st thing, unless you want to stand in a long ass line.

BTW, hearing reports both Black Widow & Skyrocket have been down this season, and are not open.

Those Zamperla pendulums are not having a good year. SFGADV's is down for the 2nd long period of time this season, Black Widow is down, Crazanity has had bad issues too.

We knew this from the HUSS models but the motors required to power these massive swings appear to be a nightmare for maintenance. I'm assuming that's why KD's never gets closed to a full swing height anymore and basically runs half a cycle.

I had a few more questions.

1) How much does Kennywood charge for parking?

2) Is the chair lift that transports people from the parking lot still running?

3) Are there any water attractions worth riding?

4) Does Kennywood offer skip the line passes for major attractions?

5) What food are they known for?

1) There is a preferred parking section for $7 and there is also tons of free parking if you don't mind what's a very short walk / escalator ride compared to the amount of walking around the park you'll do in a day anyways.

2) The chair lift operates on very busy days when the third level parking lot is getting high use, which isn't very often. However, I expect that once Steel Curtain opens it will happen a lot more often. I love the view from that ride!!

3) We still have our rapids ride, minus the big waterfall... but I still think it's quite enjoyable and personally am actually more likely to ride it now that there's no possibility of 1,000 gallons of water dumping directly on my head, lol. We also have Pittsburg Plunge which is your standard, no frills, Shoot the Chute ride.

4) Yes... see here: https://www.kennywood.com/VIPCoasterTours. Also, Phantom's Revenge is in fact unlimited on the unlimited pass, despite what it says there. And I've heard Steel Curtain should be getting added at some point (they did build a dedicated VIP queue line for it).

5) Potato Patch fries, of course!

To add to PennStaters response, there are times when the top lot is open and the ski lift is not running. If it's busy enough I've seen the park run shuttle service down to the entrance.

Can you buy multiple $7 vip line passes? I might not have a ton of time and paying $7 a few times to skip ahead might be helpful.

Unless I am reading it wrong the $7.00 single ride pass is only good on Black Widow, Sky Rocket, and Thunderbolt. And the website lists two of those as closed.

I just got back from the Steel Curtain media day event and wanted to write up a report for all the fine folks here at TPR. In summer 2018 I was lucky enough to win a spot on the first ride for Kennywood's latest coaster. After what seemed like an eternal wait, the day finally came to ride.

First I wanted to give a shoutout to Kennywood: The weather here in Pittsburgh has been nothing but deluge rain the last few days with scattered large storms the last few weeks. It is nothing short of impressive that this event was able to go off without a hitch and the ride, queue and landscaping looked fully complete. Technical rehearsals scheduled Wednesday and Thursday had to be cancelled because of a lack of training and testing time. We were told to arrive at the park at 5:30 for check in with the first ride going off at 6:30am. Check in was quick and easy and we were riding almost exactly at the scheduled time.

I was able to ride Steel Curtain twice today, one in the 3rd row one in the 8th. The ride starts with a slow, steep ascent up that feel much higher than it is due to the cliffside to the right of the ride. The first inversion has amazing hang time in the front and the first drop feels like it goes forever. In the back you pull through this inversion much faster and it isn't as much fun. The turn at the bottom of the drop has some surprising lateral forces and then you pull up into the banana roll. This inversion was a little disappointing as its taken so fast, there is no side hang time like people have been reporting on Maxx Force's dog tongue inversion. The airtime hill after the banana roll has much stronger negative g in the back than the front. After the Sea Serpent the ride comes alive. All the elements have amazing forces including the little cutback before the brake run. Most people I talked to agreed this may be the best element on the ride. The pacing is amazing with a time for your body to recompose itself after the quick transitions through the inversions. I avoid large B&M loopers because I feel motion sick after riding, but this ride is incredibly re-rideable. There is a bit of a rattle while riding, but it does not take away from how amazing this ride is.

A totally minor disappointment with the ride: there is a tradition before every Steelers game the team plays Renegade by Styx. The park installed speakers along the lift that play the song and are timed where the "scream" that really kicks off the song should play as you go over the top of the lift. Unfortunately the lift catches are so loud you cannot hear the speakers on the ride. Hopefully they can turn up the volume.

All in all, Kennywood has an absolute winner on their hands, and S&S should be proud of what they accomplished. S&S's president was there today talking with riders as they got off, and every good review you could see a little weight lifted off his shoulders. I genuinely can't wait to see what S&S will come up with in the next few years. Best news of the day, as I was walking out, they were testing Sky Rocket so hopefully that ride will be back online this weekend to complete the coaster lineup.

Anyways, on to the Photos! Apologies for the low quality of these shots, they were taken on an iPhone and I'm not a photographer

image.thumb.jpg.8d7e7c422aff6c75ced9357f2838bb26.jpg

We were given Terrible Towels with Kennywood and Steel Curtain logos upon checking in.

image10.thumb.jpg.8adf6ef7688cb839fad5fb43bf790045.jpg

The sun came out later for what ended up being perfect weather for a day in the park.

image11.thumb.jpg.d0449f8523933be9d41006dafe4ccedf.jpg

image12.thumb.jpg.b2f97d25e70f5e559eeaa0d7a935897e.jpg

image13.thumb.jpg.bf9fbf9782ff56bbd1110f9e01f1cb97.jpg

Congratulations to S&S and Kennywood on an amazing ride!!

image15.thumb.jpg.a7bd52b499347852bce706283d83fd2f.jpg

Shot of some Landscaping. They were still pruning and adjusting this morning

image16.thumb.jpg.20887b907589297a951d68f65278e8b0.jpg

image17.thumb.jpg.fe3864548923c73c326dc61466692d4f.jpg

Second Train of the morning heading up the incredibly steep lift hill

image2.thumb.jpg.53f523b439d870b30a3d528c9ad821fe.jpg

image3.thumb.jpg.9ec235142ed4a080fc13b1e64ae7bb0b.jpg

All the stats we had to match for the 412 contest to be first riders.

image4.thumb.jpg.6e240c0c5c95b6aa2eba1352c9601a60.jpg

The Steelers Country sign matches the design of detail pieces at Heinz Field, the Steeler's home field. Neat Touch!

image5.thumb.jpg.0d7d7c43890d429a35ec69d2a39ba755.jpg

I'm not a big fan of big inverting coasters (motion sickness) so I was feeling a little nervous this morning

image6.thumb.jpg.dc9b57a364f4ee990c4a1e2011b8ade9.jpg

Grey skies are pretty typical for Pittsburgh, but luckily no rain today!!

image7.thumb.jpg.ea483e355d88d74c5a5f42bafe9cb984.jpg

Looking back at the Media coming up for their first rides

image8.thumb.jpg.9ecf0100dbb86470bd23896dc0cf19b2.jpg

image9.thumb.jpg.19320c3bc040d17e9de13c778a4a1e2f.jpg

Coming out of the Banana Roll. This element was fairly forceless, no side hang time like has been reported on Maxx Force's dog tongue