TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

bert goes to St Louis and gets all touristy - Trip Report

and just to close out day 2, a handful more pics from our Trolley Ride, as we rode the entire circuit around (including a quick 10 minute break stop for the driver at the main depot, across the street from the stadium where the Blues would be playing game 6 for the Stanley Cup the next evening).

we were keeping an eye out for places to grab some food, and tho a few options caught my eye - in particular the Hamburger Mary's there (but remember, Nick doesn't like to be the center of attention, or be a spectacle. . so as soon as i explained the concept of Hamburger Mary's to him, he vetoed that idea).

We didn't really want to do much walking - tho we were both tired from a very long day, he was pretty much done walking wise. And we had to save some for full day tomorrow at Six Flags. So anything more than a block from the Hotel didn't really make the cut. and that left a Tex Mex place. Now, we're from Austin, Texas, so wasn't about to have Tex-mex in Missouri. . LOL.

so we ended up going back to the restaurant in the Hotel (while I made a quick trip up to the room to drop off purchases from City Museum gift shop). This is where I had the amazing Cauliflower over quinoa appetizer, with an acceptable flat-bread chicken main, while Nick went for a Hamburger.

we spent about 40 minutes eating at a booth in the main lobby bar, as the restaurant proper seating was not open after 7pm. It was here that we really noticed the large crowds of folks - in particular News Broadasters, that were set up thruout the bar area doing live remotes & interviews (with coaches?). Upon asking our server, it was because it was the base camp for the broadcasters for the Blues game the next night - which if they won, they would have taken the Stanley Cup.

*that* is when it all clicked regarding why they had tried to screw us around on the room the prior day at check in.

anyways, we enjoyed the food -- and got to watch a drunk guy meet a girl, grab a table across from us, order drinks and food, and then disappear into the hotel before the food arrived. Gee, I wonder WHAT could have happened that they abandoned the drinks & food and just disappear???? (tho we did feel *really* bad for the server, who probably got stuck footing the tab for the food/drinks they walked out on).

that's why I totally understand how a crowded hotel bar (say, at Dragon*con, or any other big convention), makes one pay first before they put in the order.

we ate about half of the mains, took the rest up to the room and put into the fridge (to enjoy late the next night) and turned in by 11:15 pm, so we'd be good to go on our full day at Six Flags St. Louis.

IMG_7424.thumb.JPG.52f5aa9801a40e86147a2325666ede4b.JPG

Not sure what this building was, but I really liked the look of it, so snapped a couple of pics from the bus.

IMG_7425.thumb.JPG.d8cbb2d21216fcde83f6e4c9b82858ab.JPG

Maybe a City Hall?

it looks a bit "historic"

IMG_7428.thumb.JPG.4b6456e06339815d3922d43435a92be2.JPG

The Arena where the St. Louis Blues would be playing game 6 of the Stanley Cup the next night.

we were hoping they wouldn't win, so we could get some sleep (since if they won game 6, they won the cup). and it worked out in our favor that they didn't. The next night was quiet by 11pm, which was great, and they won the cup from Game 7 in Boston on that next Wednesday anyways.

so yeah, we missed out on what would have been a HUGE celebration in downtown St. Louis while we were there if they won. . .but we were fine with that! :)

IMG_7429.thumb.JPG.ce0f8a2f6084ea13846db5a702411f9d.JPG

Looking at some dark clouds rolling in with the nightfall over Downtown St. Louis

IMG_7430.thumb.JPG.29ac6e33caf670a643602d373c35fd9e.JPG

I loved these tacky as hell things - they lit up too!

if we weren't so dead on our feet? I totally would have exited here, and forced Nick to take a horse and carriage ride with me (inside a lit up Cinderella pumpkin carriage).

but we were wiped, so settled with just a pic of the tacky things from the bus.

IMG_7434.thumb.JPG.cee9a770624bacba8d496269b6a00bc0.JPG

the St. Louis National Arch (and US flag) at Sunset.

IMG_7448.thumb.JPG.86432c6c3ec659e9adc0ae16a97649b7.JPG

ah. . Marriage.

we can snipe at each other all day, and even get in a big fight at the top of the Arch. . .but sitting down to eat at the end of a long day? yep, we're there for each other.

awwwwww. . . .

IMG_7716.thumb.JPG.27eff7f9240946cf2fd1fedc0fd0a3a3.JPG

Magnet swag from City Museum

IMG_7721.thumb.JPG.03d97cf2e1696e8572b3d79b5b0afd3c.JPG

This shirt was only, I think, $6.

I got the Purple, and Nick grabbed a Forrest Green one.

IMG_7722.thumb.JPG.db0a9d82bf040d2cdfa01611d17a15eb.JPG

I also picked up this shirt that has the middle of the St. Louis flag on the front (the fleur-de-lis logo)

IMG_7723.thumb.JPG.eb0cb21929c136726b524c4f769250c4.JPG

and the rest of the flag on the back, with the fleur-de-lis replaced with the City Museum logo.

The City Museum is so insanely awesome. Thanks for bringing back fond memories from the experience!

very welcome.

I'm so glad I got to check this off the list of things to do before I die. It's a shame it took me so long to get there! (but hey, I didn't even get to CP until 2017).

FYI - the 'topple' chair you mentioned is actually a 'Magis Spun Chair'. I looked them up after they were put in Times Square a few years back. The retail price for the real ones is $895 each!!!! You can get knockoff ones in the $300-500 range. I'll wait for the Ikea under $100 version!

900971250_ScreenShot2019-07-09at6_12_51PM.thumb.png.aa390635d567c13c45b3eb0697334d52.png

^ But - how would you put an IKEA one together???

That little 'tool' they always include would be....dare I say....useless.

Great TR Bert. So much stuff to see and experience there!

FYI - the 'topple' chair you mentioned is actually a 'Magis Spun Chair'. I looked them up after they were put in Times Square a few years back. The retail price for the real ones is $895 each!!!! You can get knockoff ones in the $300-500 range. I'll wait for the Ikea under $100 version!

that's pretty awesome that one can buy them. . . tho I'd have to win the lotto 1st.

Like you, Elissa, I'll wait for the Ikea version

^ But - how would you put an IKEA one together???

Great TR Bert. So much stuff to see and experience there!

Ha!

and thanks. . still have two (mostly full) days to go. Life has gotten in the way!

Day 3: Six Flags St. Louis Part 1

We didn’t have to leave the hotel until 9:30 or so, since the park didn’t open up until 10:30, and we were only ~40 minutes from it. But got up fairly early anyways (due to excitement I think – SFStL was a brand new park for us).

We debated grabbing something to eat, but neither of us tends to be very hungry in the mornings – so after showers & farting around watching the news & weather, we decided just to head out around 9am. It was another beautiful day, but there was a lot of activity in the hotel lobby already, as folks were gearing up for the big Game 6 that could decide the Stanley Cup Championship that evening.

We were a bit concerned about a) getting back to the hotel & b) being able to find a spot in the parking garage. But a quick stop at the pay booth informed us that this garage is only for Marriott Grand/Courtyard Marriott customers, so we would have no issue with finding a parking spot later. We also realized that unless the game was a total blowout, we’d be back during 2nd half of the game, so there wouldn’t be any traffic.

feeling better about the situation later, we got the car, and within moments we were already on the freeway and headed to SFStL – it really was so simple from our Hotel, on ramp was only a couple of blocks away, and then a straight shot to the park.

Even taking our time, I got us to the exit and we were sitting in the queue for the parking lot booths (which didn’t appear to be open yet) by 9:40.

There were only about 10 cars in front of us, but was pleased that we were already there and it had been such an easy trip. Nick had his cane, and I had decided to buy Flash Pass so he wouldn’t have to wait long for me regardless - so was hoping for a great day.

While stopped, I checked email on my phone and emailed Kim to let her know we had made it. Kim (TeacherKim), a TPR Forum member whom I knew from online and had been chatting with via email in the week up to our trip. In particular about SFStL, as her son works there as an op on “the Boss”. She had mentioned that she was going to be dropping her son off for work that day, and might meet up with us to hang out with us for a bit after.

About 9:50 am, the parking booths opened, and we quickly found our way thru the gates, and into the main lot – where there were no employees, nor signs, directing us where to go! Not even any orange cones, that I recall. Luckily, we were there with the incoming rush of cars, so I just followed the way they went! I spotted a car break off from the “pack” and head towards the front section – which seemed to be Preferred Parking (?), and so followed him and parked in the first row of the section just beyond the front section – an area just behind a grassy break with the drive chained off. I figured it would make finding the car later a breeze – which it did.

After parking, I opened the door and asked the guy I had followed (who was spraying a child down with sunscreen) if this was a special section of any type, or was I allowed to park here? Explaining that we’d never been before and I just followed him since it seemed like a good place to park. He laughed and said he parks there so he can easily find his car later (LOL), and that yes, it was fine to park there. The Preferred was the front section – and that where most folks were going was simply to park closer to the Water Park.

so I lucked out and just happened to follow the person that was parking where it was most convenient for us. The preferred parking area never really did fill up much, but as noted where we parked DID make it easier to find the car later. And it’s not like we weren’t gonna be doing a ton of walking today anyways. So with a quick application of sunscreen, and making sure we had everything, we crossed the lot and to the entrance to SFStL.

IMG_7454.thumb.JPG.419d285abcbc8b3af240db72c9235bf7.JPG

we're here, in the queue at the parking booths (which are not open yet)

IMG_7455.thumb.JPG.2a0ee7befb0ae1ddf3acf87df6f45755.JPG

car Parked - front row of the 2nd section.

it looks like a lovely park from outside, but majority of it is hidden.

IMG_7456.thumb.JPG.7ef4652371a95960e16487a7cef6299a.JPG

This looks so great tho. .and damn, if that Ferris Wheel isn't BIG

IMG_7457.thumb.JPG.131c3138ce73352dd39d026cf1b0f05a.JPG

I recognize that coaster (Batman). . but most everything else would be pretty new to me.

IMG_7458.thumb.JPG.44c5243df7d84e7a1747a8dd6c3013d9.JPG

the front entry plaza really is quite nice, tho I suspect if it were to be busier it would feel a little cramped.

the fountains and flags are lovely tho.

IMG_7459.thumb.JPG.510c54b6532c85895319cf2440f26932.JPG

It was still only at around 10:10, so the park wasn’t even open yet for another 20 minutes, but they did have the gates open and were letting folks into the main area at the front for rope drop.

As we had no bags – in the minority it seemed, as everyone was dragging giant backpacks (full of towels maybe?) -- we quickly made it thru the express security line and to the main gates where we got into a shortish line that took longer than it should have. This Six Flags park is still using the fingerprint scan, rather than the “Ipad” that the Texas parks have gone to. . and when I mentioned my surprise at that to the lady operating the gate we had chosen, she had *no* idea what I was talking about.

but this isn’t the reason our line took so long – our fingers scanned just fine, once we got to our turn.

It seemed we were at the park on the last day of some special deal they had been offering on Passes/Memberships, that if you had purchased them you had to be there by 6/9 to pick them up. So we “luckily” ended up behind a guy and his Mother (I think) who had purchased the special for the guy and his Son – who was not with them. They wanted to pick up the pass for the Man’s Son (the Mother was going to get it for him), and activate the dining pass.

But the Mother couldn’t get in because SHE didn’t have a ticket (the pass she was going to pick up was for the Grandson, who wasn’t there, remember?)

This *completely* flummoxed the lady at the gate, and we stood there for a good 4-5 minutes watching this Abbot & Costello routine play out in front of us.. back and forth not understanding each other. It’s funny now, and it was funny then too – Nick and I just kept looking at each other amused.

Eventually, the lady at the gate just threw up her hands and said: “Just come in” and she let them into the park. Sheesh.

IMG_7460a.thumb.jpg.91dac0d79d21646fef572de6c4a2fffb.jpg

We still had some time before Rope Drop, so while Nick did a bathroom break, I went to the Flash Pass booth to purchase a Platinum Pass. Kim had offered to sit with Nick while I rode things, and although it didn’t seem to be a crowded day (at least not thus far, tho it would stay pretty empty for the most part) I didn’t want to make him sit any longer than he needed to.

So I went to the guys at the Flash Pass booth, and mentioned I knew it was silly to purchase one on what seemed like such a light morning.

I told them the reason why I was buying one, and they suggested we swing by Guest Services to see about possibly getting an ADA pass (something I had not even considered since Nick wasn’t going to be riding much anyways). We talked about how Six Flags Fiesta Texas is our home park and it was our first time here. They wanted to know about how Wonder Woman Golden Lasso coaster was. They were very nice guys, and I enjoyed chatting with them so tho It wasn’t something I expected them to know, but I asked about if my photo-pass from Fiesta would be good here? And although they didn’t know, they pointed me across the main entrance to the Photo Pick up and told me the Manager over there would know.

And then they gave me a really steep discount on the Platinum Flash Pass - won’t mention cost details, but I suspect it was maybe the employee price?

It was certainly a steeper discount than if I were a Platinum Member or something, and for Platinum level, it was cheaper than the standard Flash Pass . . . I thanked them profusely, and told them how much I appreciated the conversation, and headed back to where Nick had sat down.

Looking at the map I had picked up (and what I had seen past the rope-drop area), I was a little wary about how hilly the park appeared to be. So I told Nick what the guys at Flash Pass had mentioned regarding ADA pass and that I thought we should see if we could get him one.

Then I went over to the other side of the entry plaza to the photo pick up area, and tho the lady behind the counter didn’t know the answer to my question – she went and got a Manager who confirmed for me that, Yes, since I had the separate green photo-pass plastic card (as opposed to the photopass being tied to my Season Pass or Membership Card), any pictures we had taken at SFStL would download to my card.

And he was correct – for the most part – they all did. And the ones that did NOT? (which due to them being pix from just one coaster? I’m thinking operator error there). .but Six Flags tracked down for me days after, and then loaded to my card after the fact - really service above and beyond!

I thanked him too, then got back to Nick just as rope drop happened. Since the had confirmed the Photo Pass was good, we posed for a Six Flags Photographer for this picture in front of the fountain (dyed blue for the St. Louis Blues being in the playoffs - tho we didn't know that was the reason at the time .. I just pulled the photog over to there for the pic cause I liked how blue it was :p)

Immediately going up the 1st hill to guest services, Nick was struggling a little with the cane. All the prior day’s walking had not helped. . .so that cemented that we were going to see if he could get an ADA pass, and we got in the short-ish line at Guest Services (where they also rent the electric scooters).

He was not happy with me that I wanted him to get the pass – especially as the line didn’t seem to move at all, there were only 3 people in front of us (including a wonderful special needs young man who had just graduated High School and was (rightfully) very proud of that fact, so it was great talking to him and his Dad).

There was also a guy behind us in line waiting to rent a scooter - who spent the 20 minutes or so we waited in line telling us that we were wasting our time in the line since they would NOT give Nick a pass, without a Doctor’s note. And he knows this for sure, because he always gets his ADA pass and he watches them turn away people every trip. . . so we should just give up. (he heard me talking to the young man and his father).

Anyways, what took the longest, was a woman who was having an issue with the scooter she rented (the Seat did not adjust back, and she couldn’t really fit, as it was right up into her stomach), and she kept insisting she didn’t want to pay to get the covered scooter – which she did fit comfortably in – because she knows that the seat moves back further, she gets this same scooter every time she comes. The poor lady behind the counter just kept looking at us in line apologetically that it was taking so long, and we could see in her eyes that she was thinking the same thing we were thinking – either this woman had gained some weight since her prior visit, or she had the larger covered scooter on that visit. The Counter lady eventually just brought out the more expensive larger scooter, and told her it was a free upgrade, so she could move on to the young man and his Dad in front of us.

so in less than an hour at SFStL, we had seen two employees basically just give in to a demanding customer, so that others behind them could have a better experience. . I felt bad for them, but kudos to them for looking out for everyone else that was waiting behind.

when we got to the counter, I explained to her that we were hoping to get Nick an ADA pass because I was concerned that it was so hilly in the park.

No, we didn’t have a Doctor’s note, because he’s never needed this at our home park which is mostly flat. Nick had his cane, and I showed her that I had bought the Flash Pass, and that we were not intending to take advantage of the ADA pass, since he wouldn’t ride much anyways. She smiled (*I* think happy that someone was so nice to her, and not complaining about having to wait or anything), and said: “OF COURSE” we’ll get him the pass. And she even insisted on setting it up with a +1, in case he decided to ride something that wasn’t on Flash Pass so we could go together.

the guy that had been behind us was open mouthed stunned, and mumbled something about “that never happens”. . LOL.

I was tempted to say something to him along the lines of “see what happens when you’re polite to people?”. . .but instead just shut up and we headed towards the back of the park to Screaming Eagle.

I do want to say tho: every employee we’d had to deal with had been great in *our* interactions.

So I’ll say right here: “I think the SFStl employees are among the best in terms of Guest Relations that I’ve seen at any SF park”

IMG_7461.thumb.JPG.04afc7c5f27c86ade3cc0909250e3ed8.JPG

Following the advice Kim had given us, and being well aware that it was early in the day - so this would be the best time to get Nick up the biggest / steepest hill, we headed towards the back of the park to Screaming Eagle.

there were very few folks back here so close to park open, but everything seemed to be up and running.

as we made our way up the hilly area, I stopped to take a pic or three of the Boomerang. I have to say, the colors on this one are really nice and it works beautifully with the surrounding area.

So this certainly elevates a crappy coaster slightly, just because it looks so great.

IMG_7462.thumb.JPG.03bbcc0a0ea00bc80585ddcc231c1770.JPG

and with the placement, you can walk right underneath the cobra roll element to get some nice pictures.

IMG_7463.thumb.JPG.28f5f6ae72ba107c2d6e217cd15b5b99.JPG

IMG_7464.thumb.JPG.b8c30fff58c2e2a497ed5c0e41463ce2.JPG

pausing to let Nick catch his breath, I noticed you can get a really nice view of the park from back here too. (in particular Mr. Freeze - tho that really stands out thruout the park too).

this pic would have been so much better if Excalibur had been spinning over the top. . but alas, it was still down when we were there).

this park, more than any other SF I've been to (tho I've heard Magic Mountain is worse), really makes you work to get your rides. You certainly hit your steps for the day. . ."Screaming Eagle" might have had one of the shorter queue spaces, but it was only "shorter" in comparison to the massive hike that is "the Boss" queue, or "American Thunder" queue, or "Batman" queue. . or holy hell, the looooooong "Mr Freeze: Reverse Blast" queue.

they make you work for your fun here.

IMG_7465.thumb.JPG.61a128d3583765e09ea98b3f87b2e8a4.JPG

but eventually we made it to the entrance to the 1st coaster, the classic "Screaming Eagle"

we didn't come up the main "front" - thru what appeared to be a kiddie area, but rather took the sloping paths past the Larson Loop, so didn't get a pic of the original "Main" sign for the coaster.

But I liked this one.

IMG_7466.thumb.JPG.d391b997ecd306e86c384a04d0403190.JPG

see? it's a classic.

(I had no idea that it held records for a while, either).

IMG_7467.thumb.JPG.5d5deddbcb662adee70359d39cb37d9d.JPG

but I was really interested in riding it, as I had heard it was fun - as long as you stayed near the front.

I got up to the station (eventually), and the station was empty, tho they were running 2 trains. So I got in the queue for the front row and waited.

The front car of the train that had just come in had someone in it, and tho the ride ops were going to make him move, I said it was fine and could wait for the next train.

so I chatted with the ride op at the board for a moment until the 2nd train came in. This one had a full front car (all 3 rows) and the guy in the back was saying "never again, never again". . . so I asked him was it rough?

and he said: "TERRIBLE. Save your back"

they quickly exited the ride, and I said to the ride op - he knows he was riding in a wheel seat, right? it should be smoother in the front? (and she shrugged). . LOL

In a non-wheel seat, in the front row of the 1st car, I had an absolutely brilliant ride. Tons of pops of air, with the amount of roughness I'd expect from an older coaster, but nothing painful.

I enjoyed it enough, I wanted to ride again (also figuring no way would Nick be able to walk back up here later, so get my rides in now).

there were a few folks in the station now, some queued in the front row, so when I got out I asked the op if I had to walk around, or if I could just move back to an empty seat? she was fine with it, so I went into the first row of the 2nd car, and had another really good ride.

Coming back into the station, I pressed my luck and asked if I could ride one more time without going around? and they gave me the ok, so I moved back into the next to last car (again front row tho), and took my 3rd ride on Screaming Eagle. OK, now this last ride, farther back on the train? yeah, this one was rough.

Even in a non-wheel seat, it was bad enough that I had my fill, and was glad I had ridden early enough in the day that it wasn't going to affect me too bad. But yeah, I'd agree 100% that this coaster needs to be ridden in the 1st (or 2nd) car, to really enjoy it. It's great up near the front.

all I could think the whole time during my ride towards the back, was Robb's classic video line "mah titties are jiggling!!" and it kinda hurt!

IMG_7468.thumb.JPG.968fb1dec662e86735c6da68bc7fe211.JPG

what's this in the queue? not quite sure if it's "Indian Sand Art" or supposed to be a "mosaic" - based on what we had seen over the prior 2 days in St. Louis, I'm gonna go with "mosaic"

regardless, it was rather cool, so I went back into the queue after riding to go back and take a picture of it.

IMG_7471.thumb.JPG.67a1558a85f4b50216e5ac780dad644a.JPG

we had passed Superman Tower of Power (i think that's what it's called) on the way up to "Screaming Eagle", and I was so damn excited to ride it. I didn't want it to be my first ride, since I wanted to save it, but I couldn't hold out and went to it as soon as we exited the coaster.

you see, this used to be at my home park, when growing up in Houston: Astroworld.

there it was known as "the Dungeon Drop" - and was the ride in the park that not only scare the crap out of me, but became a multiple MUST RIDE every time after I tried it the 1st time. The feeling of true "free fall" without any evident brakes on it (I didn't know that those are magnetic breaks there. . It opened in 1997, and I'd never seen that kind of system and I just thought: it looks like it might not stop)? terrifying, but oh so good.

so I got in the line and although it wasn't running all sides, was only a very short wait until I was on the ride I hadn't been on since Astroworld shut down in 2005

IMG_7472.thumb.JPG.9b55399c2c7054301084bcdf975ffffb.JPG

They were being "nice" too. . with an actual countdown at the top, and not dropping until the "1" in the countdown.

LOL. .I'm used to parks dropping at "3" or at "5". . but regardless the ride is still brilliant. at at over 200 feet, and located at the "top" of the park? it really did seem like an awfully high drop!

IMG_7472a.thumb.JPG.850548b148cdfb8215dc8ac7be7fffcf.JPG

Pic Nick took of me on my 1st ride. I'm on the right there - positively giddy.

IMG_7472b.thumb.JPG.60ca169e4b849807c449f1fd28fd64dd.JPG

Rode it twice more, with at least one of the times in the cars facing the picnic table area Nick was sitting at waiting for me.

whee!

IMG_7473.thumb.JPG.130c9cfe1c911b67aacec1a05c0c3525.JPG

after 3 coaster rides, and 3 drop tower rides, was needing some water, so i grabbed us a couple of cups from an open restaurant (it was free, but the water certainly tasted like "free" water. .LOL), and while we sipped them, came the only rain of the day - about 3 minutes of light rain. Then it stopped, and the sun came out and the whole rest of the day was beautiful.

I was contemplating riding the Larson Loop, as I like those. . but got sucked in by how pretty the Boomerang looks.

IMG_7474.thumb.JPG.1af8cb4417d610f413f963451f5dbc99.JPG

see? it DOES look great.

and there was no line. so I decided, what the hell, and got on it (regretting it the MOMENT the over the head restraints locked into place).

yep. . it's a Boomerang.

yep. . it kind of sucked (but by default of the park having Ninja in it, it's not the worst in the park)

funnily enough, just before i got on the ride, I had emailed Kim and told her we were having a blast at the park and I was about to get on Boomerang. What I didn't know was that at that moment, she was just about to drop her son off, and she read him the emails, to which he responded: "why the heck is he riding Boomerang?"

she emailed me back telling me she was at the park and was on her way to meet us, but I didn't see it until after I got off the coaster (immediately popping an aspirin to be safe).

IMG_7476.thumb.JPG.f1374ddfa3e8b64244503ec1a3b736fd.JPG

so I read the email to Nick telling him that Kim was going to meet us (but not seeing the part where she describes what she's wearing), and as I'm telling him this, I looked up and saw a cheerful woman in a pink hat heading our way - I said to Nick, that's gotta be Kim.

and it was (and spoiler: she's pretty awesome. . we LOVED spending the whole day with her - she never left to run her errands. Instead, she hung out with us all day, and just stayed to drive her son home after his shift). She tourguided us around the park, and rode things with me that Nick wouldn't ride (such as Colossus, the ferris wheel, or American Thunder - which had no line, so after i got off my Flash Pass ride, she got in line with me and we waited for the back row).

TPR forum members really are some of the greatest folks online.

After hellos and getting to know each other, she sat and visited with Nick while I went and took a spin on Skyscreamer (which was starting to actually grow a slight line, so I made use of my Flash Pass to skip a couple of cycles). Not the best one I've been on, nor the highest, but still, it was a fun ride - as most starflyers are.

Kim asked if I was gonna do the Larson Loop, since we were right there, but my head was still a little . . ehhh . . from Boomerang, so passed on it, and we headed back down the hill into the park proper.

IMG_7477.thumb.JPG.c546ba8cfd5db7f63f4f9191c4ebfa61.JPG

Nick is scared of heights, so it's not often I get to ride a ferris wheel at a park. Even with his eyes closed, he won't get on one (or most tall coasters). . and most Six Flags Parks won't let you ride a Ferris Wheel alone.

Colossus is a BIG ferris wheel. It stands out wonderfully over the center of the park, and the full ride takes (I think) 12 minutes. Kim was up for a ride, so we parked Nick on a bench, and she and I headed over to the shortish line.

unlike other Six Flags ferris wheels i've seen, this one seemed to be loading the majority of the cars (as opposed to 2 out of every 6 or so).. so we got on pretty quickly, and enjoyed a leisurely ride.

Great views, and even tho the cars are "barred".. was able to put my phone up to them to get some decent pics thru the bars.

IMG_7478.thumb.JPG.8c495b8fa7b1be8799c830815ec464a4.JPG

I understand why they have the sunshades up, and they were appreciated as the day warmed up.

sucked to get pictures from the queue line tho :p

IMG_7481.thumb.JPG.280ade6260602dd3e12f16f937dfc3d5.JPG

it was still fairly early on this Sunday, but likely closing in on Noon, or just after.

you can see how dead most of the park was by how empty the paths are. (tho the water park was getting crowded).

IMG_7482.thumb.JPG.c7dc741025189c011f12b07c51c5a3f2.JPG

as we're getting a little higher, here's the Boss, with the turnaround for Mr. Freeze

IMG_7484.thumb.JPG.f04f50295879585e3f548339e98584c0.JPG

Freeze really is so dang photographic. I must have taken 50 pics of it - but edited them down to just a handful.

here's the launch

IMG_7486.thumb.JPG.9e7a1ef9cee1bc1c105b36fda9a6f505.JPG

over the inverted tophat

IMG_7487.thumb.JPG.f2da5fd20c0f217c0ba939e44308bf9b.JPG

and up the spike.

yep, can get some great pics from the Colossus Ferris Wheel.

IMG_7488.thumb.JPG.a996913508ab1843621fb52cea589420.JPG

Here's a look LtR: Supergirl, Pandemonium, & Excalibur (sadly not operating during our visit), with Screaming Eagle in the back, and the edge of Superman up there in corner right.

the setting for Pandemonium is lovely, and tho Kim didn't tell us until later that they had put the ride in the location of the old Dolphin Show? Looking at the picture now, I can totally see that the queue line really is just sitting in the arena where the audience would have been sitting to watch the dolphins back when the Six Flags parks had animal shows like the Dolphins (Astroworld had one too).

IMG_7489.thumb.JPG.ae816e12e786372f5dc1be20d87b0f62.JPG

coming around the down side of Colossues, can see LTR: Superman top, El Diablo, Boomerang, Screaming Eagle's 1st drop, Skyscreamer. . . and that gigantic patch of land behind it where Splashwater Falls is currently sitting and rusting (and might get replaced with something next year?)

IMG_7491.thumb.JPG.cd40872d5ade384538896d8838ff8591.JPG

another shot of Batman - for sure the train is on the drop in this pic :). . and a view of how much of the parking lot was open. The park DID get a bit more crowded (I'd assume the after Church crowd), but it never really filled up.

i don't regret buying the Flash Pass tho, as it really helped out on a couple of rides where it was essential, and still saved me some time. And not to mention that discount I got on it. Was the right call for me to get it.

IMG_7492.thumb.JPG.b5bf8d47a1f3546d49801c7197066c30.JPG

we managed to time it pretty perfect that when we finally got back to the station on Colossus, the train next door was just pulling up.

Nick loves trains (as do I), and he really hadn't ridden *anything* yet on this trip to the park, so we got him on the Train for a lap of this smallish, but lovely park.

IMG_7494.thumb.JPG.4cb8309627071e1a23ee36c48858b82b.JPG

A nice pic of the ambiance of the park from the train. . it really is quite lovely in spots.

just realized that this is the back of Macho Nacho too. .which is where we ended up going for lunch a little while later.

IMG_7495.thumb.JPG.5eca276b60498ea04c27b6cb95b460f7.JPG

sat on wrong side of train :(. . would remedy that later, but American Thunder really is impressive as hell, and you get a great view of how twisty it is from the train.

IMG_7500.thumb.JPG.07fd7a34c9c0573529eded5abd344e3f.JPG

"The Boss would like to have a word with you". . . LOL. . I love hearing the "canned speech" they ask the employees to recite on trains as you pass attractions.

IMG_7501.thumb.JPG.ecd2a78b46b42ce022617b07a5012132.JPG

ooooo. . what's that I see thru the trees?

yay, a Carousel, and it looks like a lovely classic!

(it was NOT tho. . it looked great from far away, but once we got close to it, it really broke my heart to see the state it was in).

IMG_7502.thumb.JPG.ce9a6ef97de9a44e7260b280c7a8974f.JPG

After going all the way around on the train, we exited and made our way over to Supergirl - the new ride in the park.

This one certainly had a line - at least a 5-6 cycle wait, but I made use of my Flash Pass, and only really waited for 1 cycle.

I absolutely "get" the complaints that the queue line in the "holding area" for the next cycle needs to have a cover, as the sun just reflects off the concrete. But maybe they can plant some trees or something instead of covering it? because if they put up a cover, it will destroy the ability to see/get pics of this thing from the queue line.

but yeah, I get it..it was starting to get hot, as it was approaching 1pm at this point.

IMG_7503.thumb.JPG.a1e567d034f9af471295626c1ac813fe.JPG

No vomiting that I witnessed on this day.. but man, is this a pretty ride.

looked pretty forceful too.

IMG_7505.thumb.JPG.d2c45e55915f15c47faccdaeaca699d9.JPG

whee!

IMG_7505a.thumb.jpg.737d6472d0ff0c2f7b41e8eda44882e2.jpg

Kim took these pics of me thru the fence.

they didn't make any announcement not to pull down on the restraints, but then DID yell as some people who were pulling down on the restraints. I guess the ops are still learning the "feel" of the ride?

IMG_7505b.thumb.jpg.eff20ba4c4340d65741633e63afb2218.jpg

I was excited and ready!

IMG_7505c.thumb.jpg.b049666823291a88766838ad71c94ead.jpg

and it lives up to the expectations. I'm somewhere on the ride in this pic, and the one after it.

yes, the area could use more theming (rather than just painted wood cutouts), but damn if it doesn't pull some serious G's - I thought it was stronger than Catwoman's Whip - the double seat version that SFOT has.

and it was running a pretty decent cycle too - it wasn't just up and down, it stayed in "Standing" position for a good minute or so, giving some incredibly disorienting giddyness.

I loved it.

IMG_7505d.thumb.jpg.a160fe26723edc39ed1f955461c47ec5.jpg

IMG_7506.thumb.JPG.adfb57c0a94ee27648bf659c316f674d.JPG

after getting off Supergirl, since Nick/Kim were sitting in the shade relaxing, I decided to go ahead and use my flash pass to get a ride on the Boss. I booked it, and it told me 3 minutes, so I started the long trek to get up to the station.

now, when I actually GOT to the station, the line was non-existent (they were running two trains). To the point that the guy that was supposed to be checking my Flash Pass told me: just go around to the other side (ie: standby queue), since it would be easier for me as I could pick any row queue, without having to worry about bumping someone.

I found this odd, that i would be told that, but shrugged and just went thru the "exit" gate, into the standby queue, up the steps over, into the station, and was on the next train anyways.

it was still worth it, and I was happy I had used, Flash Pass.. . since the Boss queue is a LOT of walking. BUT, the exit/Flash Pass side? all ramps. Was very happy that I didn't have to deal with all of the steps in the standby queue line. so was worth it just for that!

not that I couldn't have done it, but after City Museum yesterday? I was kinda "stepped" out.

the placement of the Go-Karts here is truly bizarre too - you have to cross the train tracks, and under Boss' queue to get to them.

(when we rode the train again later, we came to a stop because they almost ran over some kids that ignored the gates, and crossed over the tracks when leaving the go-karts. just really strange they didn't do a "bridge" over the tracks if that's where the go-karts are).

IMG_7507.thumb.JPG.cf86e1fb3bb014f47f51a67404c9b461.JPG

what did I think of "the Boss" ?

I used Prozach's tip, and rode front seat of the middle car, leaning forwards.

That really helped to even out some of the jerkiness in this not-smooth-at-all coaster. I actually kind of enjoyed the 1st half of the coaster. The back half? not so much. The tip that had helped with the roughness on the 1st half, didn't do squat when we hit that big lateral- that SLAMMED me into the side of the train.

I can't even imagine how rough those laterals were before they removed the helix towards the end!

I mean, it's a wooden coaster, I get it - but when Screaming Eagle is smoother? yeah, this was 1 and done for me, even tho I could have easily gotten back in line for another walk on ride.

I did ride it tho :)

IMG_7509.thumb.JPG.75eac7e468843262cbbe714114c54a3d.JPG

a look at the train flying into the area that used to be the final helix (I think). . and some of the massively long queue area.

IMG_7510.thumb.JPG.dc621847deead3c8a2175f858b207cab.JPG

exiting the ride, I stopped here in the long walk back to the park to get a pic from the back side. It really is a lovely park, and I liked that they put these 'cubby' areas here to allow folks to step to the side to get pictures, since they know it's a lovely park.

IMG_7512.thumb.JPG.cf9986415beaa883aed7fa9da1d517eb.JPG

and of course, had to get a pic of Freeze from this side too - going up the spike.

IMG_7513.thumb.JPG.38c6064876127ecf71d20f1d5bceceb8.JPG

I really liked that they put the name on BOTH sides of the entry sign too. This is coming off the ride, into the park again.

gotta wonder if those fire-pots actually have lights in em, or if they ever light up. We didn't stay in the park until it got "dark" since that would be just about closing time, and we ended up leaving closer to 8pm. (instead of 9pm close)

IMG_7514.thumb.JPG.447fa64a1a23e6f53ba7cb435382f308.JPG

Grand Ol Carousel - which still didn't look bad, but wasn't ready to ride it yet since I was walking back to where Nick & Kim were sitting, so instead just stopped to take a picture of it.

IMG_7518.thumb.JPG.62647c255d697cff4ad8721b8089cdba.JPG

Nick was kind of in the mood to ride something after sitting for a while, and wanted to ride Pandemonium while we were in this area.

Kim didn't want to ride anything "Spinny" but offered to stay at the table they had been sitting at with our water & shoulder bag. So I went ahead and booked Pandemonium on my Flash Pass, and using Nick's ADA pass (for the 1st time), he and I went up the exit together, and we got a very good ride in.

Pandemonium looked like a standard cookie-cutter/clone, but it actually seemed to be a bit longer than the one we're used to at SFFT, even if it didn't spin quite as much as the Fiesta one sometimes does. The setting among the trees is really nice, and I liked that you can walk under the tracks when going to Boss/Carousel area. Overall, it was worth a ride, and we enjoyed it.

we were getting hungry, as we hadn't eaten yet today - and Kim had decided that it was late enough, and she was having enough fun, that she was just gonna stay in the park with us.

so we went looking for a place to eat. I'm not a big Bar-B-Que fan, so we didn't bother (even tho it would have been "St Louis Bar-B-Que"), and tho he won't admit it, Nick is kind of a picky eater.

so we headed towards the Hot Dog place that had been recommended - tho Kim opined that it was just so-so, although it offered a good size meal.

we walked by the still closed Excalibur on our way, so took a pic of it. I would have loved to ride this :(

maybe if we go back for another quick weekend visit to St. Louis (Zoo/City Museum/Six Flags), I'll get a chance.

IMG_7521.thumb.JPG.c01e38fcfa06d7634c7f3ddf0888c719.JPG

we ended up at Macho Nacho - which was just across the way from the Hot Dog Place.

Nick had decided he was OK with plain nachos, and I've eaten at Macho Nacho in other parks, so was fine with this decision.

Kim ate healthy - a bowl of some sort, but hey, I'm on vacation, I went full on burrito. Which the guy working the counter didn't really know how to wrap after he had put so much stuff in it. So it ended up looking like a giant rock. LOL. . I wish I had taken a picture of it. Not complaining at all, it was a lot of food and filled me up. . but yeah, it was "eat with a fork" instead of "pick up" burrito.

funny moment with Nick - who is not used to eating in a park that's not on our SF dining plan (since that's what we use for lunch at Fiesta Tx): he said, "I'll pay, if it's under $20, can use cash"

It was a nice thought, but his nachos (plain), my Burrito, and two waters? came out to ~$36 if I'm not remembering incorrectly.

(not complaining at all tho, it's a theme park, I expect to pay a lot for food -- and that's exactly why we have dining plan at our home park. we eat there twice and have paid for it all season).

the patio here was great for people watching too, as well as offering nice views of Colossus. . .

IMG_7522.thumb.JPG.aec2fd4d4418e1218edc9731167ff861.JPG

and the train as it goes by.

IMG_7523.thumb.JPG.3883451542cf6dac4784fd09d3e65fa4.JPG

IMG_7525.thumb.JPG.aa4e7aeb9913bf6e034d63ffb3816273.JPG

Once we'd eaten, and let the food digest a little bit, we went thru the tunnel in the prior pic, and over to American Thunder!

we looked at the antique cars, and laughed about how short the track for them was (echoing what everyone had told us about how "not worth the wait" the attraction was). I was willing to stand in line, but Nick wasn't in the mood to ride, he just wanted to sit down in the shade.

so Kim offered to stay with him, and I headed over to "American Thunder" (the old Evel Knievel coaster), which I had booked on my Flash Pass and said I had a 10 minute wait.

Kim said it would take me that long to get thru the queue to the station, so I headed that way - stopping to take this (too close) pic of the ride sign, which was on what looked like a Motorcycle Ramp.

IMG_7526.thumb.JPG.2446be7992f9baf04b8c2ebc6528c608.JPG

When I finally got to the station, it was mostly empty. But there were two folks in front of me at the exit gate with a skip the line pass, and of course they wanted front row.

I told them I honestly didn't mind - 2nd row was fine, so although we had to wait 2 trains for a ride op to come to the gate to let us on, I still very quickly got a ride on this fantastic wooden coaster.

I loved it, the pops of air, the way it "dives" and "races". . just all around a winning coaster.

I got off it and went back to Nick and Kim and asked her if she wanted to ride with me? (she had expressed interest in it, but was worried about there being a line). I told her it was walk on, so we left all our stuff with Nick, and both she and I went up the standby line, this time walking on to a back row ride.

back row was a bit wilder than the front, but still gave a pretty thrilling ride. Absolutely worth a ride or two (or three) if you make it to this park.

IMG_7527.thumb.JPG.415551bf30d2d5b22d34d7478a3cc63a.JPG

from the exit queue, you can get some really good pics of the train doing a run-by.

that's the photo booth there on the left, where the operator did something funky so my American Thunder Pics never actually made it onto my card, even tho I was told they did scan.

luckily, as mentioned earlier, Six Flags went the extra mile, and tracked down the on-ride photos from that afternoon and posted them to my account more than a week after our visit.

very pleased with the customer service on this :)

4e25db939cb845d09989a2a06b5be0c5-1.thumb.jpg.f49b602431dda943e09ae5fbd05e1aed.jpg

My row 2 1st ride on American Thunder

4e25db939cb845d09989a2a06b5be0c5-4.thumb.jpg.c8dedaa1da460c7aad9a1a42152edc87.jpg

and the "unframed" version. . . . makes me giggle at the lady in the front row (they did NOT know where the Camera was - it was their first time on it too. . so it's not like she was trying to do a funny pose).

b3ecdabfa96a4b4b8acf3bd7a43ac418-2.thumb.jpg.66952735c06520df3bbdda96953b16c4.jpg

and our back row coaster, once came back around with Kim.

(you can tell SHE knows where the camera is. . .LOL)

b3ecdabfa96a4b4b8acf3bd7a43ac418.thumb.jpg.85fa6c42c57a39e9a7c61247c66000c1.jpg

ca5d8731fc004a29bac54f6c72513356-1.thumb.jpg.34af9a40636c6161b8ac2ff1a38a1b1f.jpg

after our rides on American Thunder, we continued our way thru this side of the park, and I told Nick we *have* to ride the flume, even tho only one side was operating. We always try to ride a flume at a park when we travel, and if they offer a photo op,we always get it.

since i was getting the photos on my card, I told him he HAD to ride with me. Kim was interested too, but the line was actually among the longest we saw all day in the park.

(maybe Mr. Freeze was longer, since only running one side. Or Justice League, since not running all cars. or maybe Supergirl?). . but this was a long line.

I realized then that since Nick's ADA was good for 2 people, and I had the Flash Pass, She could be Nick's +1, and I could book it, then all go together.

That ended up being the perfect solution, and we got to enjoy the short-ish, and not totally soaking log flume (well, at least the side that was open) at Six Flags St. Louis.

it's since been explained to me, that if they only open one side on non-crowded days, the side we rode is the one they open. . specifically for ADA - since that side requires no steps. (and we were allowed to stay in the log past the "Exit" so Nick could get out (with some help from Kim) without having to deal with the steps. They put a "red flag" on the back of the log to signal that we could stay in to avoid the steps, so that's what you see in the picture there at the back).

it was funny getting to stay in the log, as you pass under the walkway, where the pipes are HEAVILY wrapped with tape and padding - indicating that at some point, SOMEONE stood up/or sat up really straight and knocked the crap out of their head - because the ride op at the stairs started shouting: watch your head / duck !! over and over

ca5d8731fc004a29bac54f6c72513356-2.thumb.jpg.e34c4ed5301a27f1bb1610f16b45e675.jpg

Log flume pic with one of the filters on. I like this one. . going over a water faaaaaaaallllllllll

ca5d8731fc004a29bac54f6c72513356.thumb.jpg.7443963d5cf4c65247f0b229aff93b95.jpg

Last pic from this portion of the TR.

I have more pics, but this is already getting a bit long, so will finish off our day in part II.

Glad you had a great time at our park! Xcalibur is a truly unique ride and I hope you get to ride it soon when it reopens

I look forward to part 2 of your report!

(By the way, just curious, did you notice the top of superman still has the “castle” shape from when it was at Astroworld? )

That "mosaic sand art" area actually used to be filled with different colored gravel instead of permanent epoxied pebbles. It was much nicer as the gravel but people would mess it up and little plants would grow in it eventually, so I'm sure they changed it to cut down on maintenance

Great to read another trip report. Looks like fun so far.

You have a very understanding spouse! I made mine get up at 3am for a flight once and it wasn't pretty!! And we are both shift workers!

we had a fantastic time - tho it wouldn't be a vacation without a spat with the Spouse, right? (so we had a couple - including a doozy at the top of the Arch, LOL, but was all resolved by the time we were back down at the base of it )

Honestly tho: it's not that he's "understanding" - he wasn't thrilled about the early-early flight.

but after 15+ years, he knows just to let me plan, and just come along and we'll have a great time.

So he just goes with it - I know what he can handle - even if he doesn't think he can sometimes.

I'm a planner by definition (I schedule mfg test floors), and I'm pretty good at my job. . so he trusts me to plan.

and we managed to follow my plan - we usually do, which is why he let's me plan it out -- and we hit everything I had mapped out, and on schedule.

of course I had backup "bad weather" plans, but worked out we didn't' need em. We do tend to have pretty good weather mojo on trips. . not always, but usually.

Bert! I'm just now reading this, haven't gotten through it all yet.....but I'm a trip planner too. Maybe that's why we got along so well (at least I think we got along well ) I've planned several European trips for my whole family. Try getting a party of 9 with 2 weeks worth of luggage from the airport in Barcelona to a hotel. Anyway, my family for the most part trusts me and just goes along with my plan but my Dad always makes sure to remind me to in his words "build in some ass time"....meaning he wants time to sit somewhere, take a break, have a beer, and people watch.

Very good trip report, been enjoying reading though your adventures at City Museum and at Six Flags, its always nice to see what people outside of the area think of our local attractions. Don't forget to come back next year and enjoy the newly opened Union Station Aquarium and its 200ft Ferris Wheel!

Glad you had a great time at our park! Xcalibur is a truly unique ride and I hope you get to ride it soon when it reopens

I look forward to part 2 of your report!

(By the way, just curious, did you notice the top of superman still has the “castle” shape from when it was at Astroworld? )

thanks!

yeah, I did notice the design at the top of Superman still looks like a Medieval Tower Turret -- and was wondering if it was leftover from when it used to be in the Nottingham Village area of Astroworld.

too funny that they didn't bother changing it, but instead just slapped a Superman Logo up there!

That "mosaic sand art" area actually used to be filled with different colored gravel instead of permanent epoxied pebbles. It was much nicer as the gravel but people would mess it up and little plants would grow in it eventually, so I'm sure they changed it to cut down on maintenance

that's super interesting to find out.

I'll bet it looked fantastic as loose gravel, but yeah - I can imagine the nightmare of having to go fix it every week from people damaging it.

Bert! I'm just now reading this, haven't gotten through it all yet.....but I'm a trip planner too. Maybe that's why we got along so well (at least I think we got along well ) I've planned several European trips for my whole family. Try getting a party of 9 with 2 weeks worth of luggage from the airport in Barcelona to a hotel. Anyway, my family for the most part trusts me and just goes along with my plan but my Dad always makes sure to remind me to in his words "build in some ass time"....meaning he wants time to sit somewhere, take a break, have a beer, and people watch.

LOL. . I too thought we got along great!

It was lovely to meet you - for sure let me know when you come to Texas! (you can even stay with us and basecamp out of Austin, so we could do day trips to SFFT, SeaWorld, the ZDT woodie, Kemah boardwalk, Pleasure Pier, and SFOT. . can even get you to some "Culture" (the Alamo, Blanton Art Museum, State Capitol. . . drinking on 6th street. . LOL).

Happy you enjoyed your trip to the park and city bert425, we are putting a lot of work in to improve it.

Thank you. are you a Park Rep?

If yes, want to make sure this didn't get buried in my text-filled post above -- SFStL had among the best, if not THE best , interactions we've ever had with Six Flags Employees.

not only NO bad experiences, but multiple really GOOD experiences. Folks seemed to enjoy working, and were genuinely happy to talk to us/interact with us.

it made for a great visit!

Very good trip report, been enjoying reading though your adventures at City Museum and at Six Flags, its always nice to see what people outside of the area think of our local attractions. Don't forget to come back next year and enjoy the newly opened Union Station Aquarium and its 200ft Ferris Wheel!

Thanks james.

not sure the Ferris Wheel would be a draw - as noted, my spouse will NOT get on them.

but was certainly eyeing the Aquarium, as we love those. Of course, we've been to multiple *excellent* ones (Vancouver, Maui, and the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta). If the St. Louis one can complete with those, it would certainly solidify a plan to go back to StL next year

Edited by bert425

^^^I love the expression 'ass time', I'm going to start using it more!

I do too!

we usually call it "bench: the ride" time (Kim likely heard me refer to it as that thruout the day when Nick wanted to sit).

but I'm gonna start calling it "ass time" now too!

Well that's my Dad for you and my son is just like him. The three of us are going to Cedarpoint tomorrow because the boy wants to show his grandpa his favorite place on earth. My husband decided to sit this trip out. Great, 8 hours in the car with my Dad and my son, not exactly the dream trip I wanted this summer, lol.

Bert, I'm not surprised that the trolley driver didn't know about the Old Court House dome. It's boring history don't you know....my subject is so disrespected! Anyway if you like Chihuly and you ever come back you will need to visit the Botanical Garden, there are Chihuly sculptures in the reflecting pool there.

Ok got through the whole tr. Thanks for your kind words Bert and I found that I actually enjoyed immensely being a SFSTl tour guide for the day. Guess it's the history teacher in me and it was pleasant to have pupils who were behaving nicely and listening politely for a change, lol. My son says the log flume has been operating both sides a lot this month, due to the hotter weather, the rapids ride is filled up and close to opening and the Excalibur rehab is apparently very close to being finished.

I will tell you all the Bert is being very gentlemanly.....the sad truth is that I was not up for a lot of rides due to an overzealous neighborhood Mom's Bourbon tasting party the night before. Also, why I took it easy on the tacos/burritos and has "something healthy". But he politely kept my sad slightly hungover shame secret, but I am glad I came out, walking about the park in the fresh air was a good remedy.

We may very well make that trip to Texas. Toying with the idea of spring break since our park won't be open yet and it will still be fairly cold and nasty weather wise up here. I'll let you know!

Note on the Arch museum (sorry it's that history teacher thing again!) the city of St Louis was always known as the "Gateway to the West", last big city the westward pioneers were in before heading out on the Oregon and Santa Fe trails. The monument is to honor that heritage, hence the museum had all the boring history of the west and St Louis's history as a port city and therefore it is named the "Gateway" arch.

Anyway off to pack for CP, I hope Valravn reopens, it's one of my favorite coasters there. No one on the CP thread seems to know they are too busy arguing about food in the park right now, lol!

Look at you, Kim.. I'm keeping the "met in real life, so not for online consumption" part of the deal. .and you just go spill all your own secrets! LOL

giphy.gif

We may very well make that trip to Texas. Toying with the idea of spring break since our park won't be open yet and it will still be fairly cold and nasty weather wise up here. I'll let you know!

one thing to absolutely keep in mind if you're looking at Spring Break - if it's in mid-late March? Austin is *NUTS* due to SXSW crowds. (so airline flights will shoot up in price, and EVERYTHING all over town gets packed (restaurants, clubs, traffic.. it sucks). Most of us locals stay in during the 2 week festival timeframe.. . ESPECIALLY the music portion.

hoping to have the rest of SFStL posted by end of weekend.

Ha,Ha!! Well I tell my students they need to be honest above all else so gotta set a good example. Besides I wanted everyone to know how nice you were being.

#notashamedmomsdeserveabreak

I will keep your Texas trip advice in mind when planning!