Photo TR: Andy's Visit to Camden Park

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Andy's Visit to Camden Park

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 am

I finally made it to this park a few years back. It was fine for a small park, but it definitely wasn't anything to go out of the way for. It certainly could be something special if it was cleaned up a bit but I don't think it needs to based on where it is and who it's actually drawing in.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Great report Andy! I’m a tad bit ashamed that I lived in Kentucky for the first 23 years of my life and never made it to Camden Park (my college roommate was actually from Huntington and begged me not to risk my life), but I’m hoping the place sticks around long enough for me to make it there eventually. They used to have one of those Skydiver flat rides that I’ve always wanted to try out. Seems as though that opportunity has passed.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby CenturyFlyer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Nice report! Love long ones like this that go into a lot of detail. I'd really like to go to Camden at some point - maybe on the way to Dollywood; I love old parks like this, especially as you never know how much longer they're going to last, so I'd say that it would be worth it.

From pictures I've seen, Big Dipper used to have a sign that left out the "IG" at the end. What a perfect addition to the park's other confusing signs! Anyway, I love those NAD Century Flyer trains anywhere. Did the Big Dipper train ever have four cars?

I'm wondering what the deal is with that short flume drop and why the band organ in the carousel is missing its drums on the sides. Besides that, the organ looks just like the Wurlitzer 153 here at KW.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:09 pm

jynx242 wrote:Always love to see a report from you Andy! This is one of those parks that you think, if they had a few hundred thousand dollars for infrastructure and restoration that it could really make the park look better.

David

Thanks David! Yep, a bit of upkeep here and there would make a difference.

SharkTums wrote:I finally made it to this park a few years back. It was fine for a small park, but it definitely wasn't anything to go out of the way for. It certainly could be something special if it was cleaned up a bit but I don't think it needs to based on where it is and who it's actually drawing in.

You live in Florida, I live not even three hours away in Ohio, and you made it here before I did. That says something, though I'm not quite sure what. ;)

DBru wrote:(my college roommate was actually from Huntington and begged me not to risk my life)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Admittedly, nothing at Camden was as frightening as my experience on the dearly-departed Dragon Coaster at Beech Bend in Kentucky. I think your home state wins. Or loses, I guess.

CenturyFlyer wrote:From pictures I've seen, Big Dipper used to have a sign that left out the "IG" at the end. What a perfect addition to the park's other confusing signs!

Yeah, I saw that in some old reports too! It's peculiar. Maybe we'll eventually lose the rest of the PARATROOP sign in a year or two also.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Nice report and photos.

How many other coasters still have manual braking like BD has?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:00 pm

^ Conneaut's Blue Streak is the only one I can think of. Some similarities between the 2 parks.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Great photos as always Andy! Love getting reviews of some of these quirky, out of the way parks.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!