TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Anyone notice if there us a single rider line for Maxx Force?

There was not, but they were calling out for single riders near the station, so some riders got to jump ahead.

Great ride! My son and I got on this morning. That launch is nuts!

A guy put his hands up during the launch and was fine. I would not recommend it though. It is very forceful!

Operations were good, and the ride has not gone down yet, so looks like we have a pretty reliable new ride.

Edited by ilrider

- The ride is VERY smooth, though maybe it's too smooth

2019 - When not only can rides be criticized for being too rough, but they can finally be criticized for being too smooth. Personally, my only complaint was that the seats are too comfortable.

My only gripe with the ride is that you're not allowed to put your hands up on the launch.

It's a liability thing. If you send a thousand riders with their hands up someone is likely to strain a muscle and blame Six Flags.

^ How long have the lines been? Up to 3-4 hours?

Worst I heard it got from a manager was 2 hours yesterday for the preview. We waited an hour 15 minutes this morning, but that was because we got in line when the Coke ERT started, well before the ride opened, to be near the front. It was 75 minutes when we left at 1:30 today. Not too bad at all. They are dispatching pretty quickly, and I honestly think this ride is scaring some people away. There were not a lot of young kids in line. My son is 10, but he has been riding everything for years and has no fear.

As a former TTD ride op, I’ve seen a handful of dislocated shoulders from people who had their hands up on the launch, so I understand. Granted, that’s only a handful out of tens of thousands of times I’ve witnessed it, but this is the reason for the rule, I’m sure.

As a former TTD ride op, I’ve seen a handful of dislocated shoulders from people who had their hands up on the launch, so I understand. Granted, that’s only a handful out of tens of thousands of times I’ve witnessed it, but this is the reason for the rule, I’m sure.

I have not yet ridden an air-launched coaster, but undoubtedly the force based on the speed to second ratio means the launch is just as, if not more aggressive than the hydraulic launches. I could understand the parks having that warning just to save their butts if a dislocated shoulder from a rider were to happen.

I'm a pretty tough guy but as I'm getting older injuries suck. I imagine they have that policy just to cover their butts if someone does hurt themselves while riding. I keep my hands down on most launches these days, and honestly it does not affect the ride experience at all.

I still have not seen a response to the question about that little bump after the launch, does it give a pop of air at all?

This seems to be a success, wonder how many copy and paste jobs Six Flags will do with this model.

It's a pretty big undertaking for a copy/paste ride. It's not like a free-spin. No one has said one word about SeaWorld/Busch having two Skyrocket 2 coasters, but people will undoubtedly complain if this ride were to be copied in just one other SF park.

I still have not seen a response to the question about that little bump after the launch, does it give a pop of air at all?

I'm not sure if these elements do much. My guess is that they seem like a good filler instead of longer stretches of straight track so that that coaster designers can put elements where they want without leaving any lull in the action.

Edited by prozach626

This seems to be a success, wonder how many copy and paste jobs Six Flags will do with this model.

There are many parks in the Six Flags chain that could greatly benefit from a ride like Maxx Force (SFOG and SFNE come to mind). Hopefully they would develop custom layouts, but if Six Flags were to clone this ride I personally wouldn't mind at all.

It's also nice to hear the ride is running fairly consistently and efficiently. Given the issues Gale Force and Merlin's Mayhem had, it's nice to see S&S have a major win. I hope the same for Steel Curtain.

I have not yet ridden an air-launched coaster, but undoubtedly the force based on the speed to second ratio means the launch is just as, if not more aggressive than the hydraulic launches. I could understand the parks having that warning just to save their butts if a dislocated shoulder from a rider were to happen.

I'm a pretty tough guy but as I'm getting older injuries suck. I imagine they have that policy just to cover their butts if someone does hurt themselves while riding. I keep my hands down on most launches these days, and honestly it does not affect the ride experience at all.

No, there really is no air on the bump after the launch that I noticed. It is just there for the track to pass under after coming back down from the double inversion. It does create a head chopper effect coming back down.

Edited by ilrider

Deleted due to duplicate post.

I believe it, my left shoulder was sore for several days after putting my hands up on TTD. I wouldn't even dare think of doing the same on Maxx Force.

Agreed. Ouch. That hurts just thinking about. Never EVER would I want to put my hands up for a launch that forceful (really I don't see the point in putting up your hands for any launch)

As side note. To those who have ridden it, how does the launch feel compared to the hydraulic launchers?

Through some simple arithmetic, I believe the accelerations roughly would be...

TTD: 120mph/4 s = + 30 mph each second

KK 128 / 3.5 s = + 36.5 mph each second

Xcelerator 82 / 2.3 s = + 35.7 mph each second

---

Maxx Force 78 / 2 s = + 39 mph each second (Fastest accelerating North Am. coaster)

Edited by Intamin_coyote

The seatbelt is very forgiving. Similar to Whizzer. The restraint is deceiving. I saw many people click in several clicks on the restraint yet it still threw a code in the booth that it wasn't secure. Ride ops will help push it down but not force it. If you have another adult with you to really push down you should be fine.

Agreed. Ouch. That hurts just thinking about. Never EVER would I want to put my hands up for a launch that forceful (really I don't see the point in putting up your hands for any launch)

As side note. To those who have ridden it, how the launch feel compared the hydraulic launchers?

---

Maxx Force 78 / 2 s = + 39 mph each second (Fastest accelerating North Am. coaster)

As side note. To those who have ridden it, how the launch feel compared the hydraulic launchers?

---

The launches feel much different. Maxx Force feels instant with a lot of track to go before you go up. TTD feels like it accelerates forever. There is quite a bit of track with no acceleration on MF before you go up....faster acceleration for sure, but I prefer the TTD launch because it goes on forever in comparison.

Visually TTD looks better as well, there is a lot of space between the launch and where you start to go up, obviously the height too.

That being said MF is a fantastic ride that has a very good shorter layout, and silky smooth.

Launch goes to TTD, overall ride, I think MF may have it.

Gonna be visiting the park for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what the best route is to take in terms of avoiding traffic if possible. Coming from the east it looks like my two options are to take 90 right through Chicago or to go around Chicago on 294. Or is there a 3rd option? Thanks.

I can tell you that 90 through Chicago is NOT a good idea; I did it when I went out there in 2017 and it was the worst 6 hours of the entire drive. Googlemaps recommends the 294 route, but I'd suggest something a little out there:

1. Take 96 west across Michigan to Muskegon.

2. Take the Lake Express Ferry to Milwaukee

3. Take 94 south to the park.

It'll cost substantially more (the ferry isn't cheap), and take about 2 hours longer than the 294 route, but you get to enjoy a ferry ride (it's better to spend 2 hours walking around a boat with access to a bar then 2 hours sitting in stop-and-go traffic) and even stop in MiA for a few rides if you want.

I took the ferry going back east from Milwaukee and it was a very, very smart move on my part.

If you decide to go that route, I highly recommend buying the ferry ticket for a specific time in advance - you don't want to get there and find the boat is full since they run 6 hour departure intervals.

Gonna be visiting the park for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what the best route is to take in terms of avoiding traffic if possible. Coming from the east it looks like my two options are to take 90 right through Chicago or to go around Chicago on 294. Or is there a 3rd option? Thanks.

Take 294. I have lived here my whole life, and I only take 90 when I am going to the city. 90 costs more in tolls, and you can hit some heavy traffic near the city. Cannot guarantee you will not hit some traffic on 294 too with construction season afoot, but it is just easier.

Take 294. There may be a slowdown in the area around O'Hare airport, but for the most part it is generally painless. Unless you are going on the weekend it is usually pretty fast. Another bonus is that there are 4 rest stop oasis areas between the IL state line and Great America and on I-90/94 there are none until it merges back with 294 in northern Illinois.

I second the ferry idea. Another option is to take a hot air balloon. Both are convenient, so it's your choice.

Or, you can just take 294 and not over complicate it. I 'think' that's the way any GPS takes us and we've never had any issues with it. Google maps will help you avoid traffic. You'll be fine.